PDA

View Full Version : 1984 ATC250R Questions???????????

kbyeeeeee
05-21-2005, 12:35 AM
1984 ATC250R
I have just purchased this bike.
I tore the motor out and split it to replace all gaskets. Easy work.
I have had the cylinder bored to 72mm or .80 out, and I installed a new Wiesco topend. The bike also has a K&N filter on it.
My questions are as follows:
What is the correct break in procedure?
What is the correct premix ratio? HONDA 2stroke oil Remember its .80 out.
What do I need to do to the carb as far as needle clip position, air screw mix, float level, and jets?
Dose the carb need lots of tuning for such a big bore, and if so where should I start?
I would really like some help with this beast. These are not really my specialty, but I hear they are quite fast and fun.
What should I expect as far as speed?

Any help would be very apprieciated
Christian

resto250r
05-21-2005, 01:41 AM
I hve an 83r which is basiclly the same bike I was told to break it in start it up and very the idle up and down slightly for 10 to 15 min let it cool for 30min run again for 10 to 15 and cool again (never throttle fast during warm up or break in). After a few warm ups and cool downs idle till cylinder is putting off heat then drive slowly through the gears (again never throttle rapidly during warm-up). I run my premix at 32 to 1 My bike is only .50 over but it should work. Neeld clip position varies with altitude sea level is the middle so if * are higher you would need to move the clip up. I was also told anytime you go with a big bore you would need to increase your slow and decrease your main ( Seems weird but it has somthing to do with the loss of velocity on a bigger bore). Hope this helps I am an auto tech but this is my first 2 stroke and I'm learning.

Fox250R
05-21-2005, 03:14 AM
LOL you break in your bike the way your going to ride it..Take it out and just ride it..Just dont pin the throttle for a long period of time the first tank or 2... :)

kbyeeeeee
05-21-2005, 10:08 AM
LOL you break in your bike the way your going to ride it..Take it out and just ride it..Just dont pin the throttle for a long period of time the first tank or 2...

Well i know this isnt the right way. the other post is correct.
Thanks for some info..

KayodicWeazel
05-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I'd go with Resto's way. Let it idle through a gas tank or 2 and then ride it carefully/slowly for a day or 2.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-21-2005, 04:44 PM
If a machine (especially a 2 stroke) is going to break, it will break in the first minute of running. From an error you made. If you are confident in your work, then you start it, and you ride it. That sit and idle crap is for the birds. The only thing that I say is dont pin it for a tank or two. And let it cool after a while of riding (heat cycles), and re-tourqe the head and cylinder nuts. Otherwise, Break it in like your going to ride it!.

And another fact is, Being kind of rough on it, helps seat the rings correctly, If they dont seat correctly, then basically engine failure will come sooner next time.

Fox250R
05-21-2005, 05:02 PM
If a machine (especially a 2 stroke) is going to break, it will break in the first minute of running. From an error you made. If you are confident in your work, then you start it, and you ride it. That sit and idle crap is for the birds. The only thing that I say is dont pin it for a tank or two. And let it cool after a while of riding (heat cycles), and re-tourqe the head and cylinder nuts. Otherwise, Break it in like your going to ride it!.

And another fact is, Being kind of rough on it, helps seat the rings correctly, If they dont seat correctly, then basically engine failure will come sooner next time.
Just like i said...... Thank you! :)

kbyeeeeee
05-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I am confident in the work done.
I checked the jets and it has main 130 and 50 slow
I have the outside air screw at 1.5 turns out the float is at 21mm
honda oil 32:1 I will be getting my rings on monday and will start it as soon as it is possible. Just wanted to know if this is ok and how should i go about tunning??
thanks