PDA

View Full Version : Important, Honda owners read!

Lomax
05-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Ok I am sure that almost everyone on here knows that I own an ATV repair and acc. shop. Well, I get parts through a Honda o.e.m distributor and he inlightend me on something shocking the other day. I asked him about an AirBox for an 86 200X. he said that there were 3 left in the wherhouse and they were Z coded. That means they are set to be destroyed due to inactivity and or age. Well I bought all 3 of them just to save them from this doom. There are other parts this way, I am doing my damnedest to save what I can now but I cant save them all (as that would take alot of $$) I do not know whats left but if you are seriously wanting various parts then I will check. I am not trying to make anything off of these parts I just dont want them to be destroyed when somone on here could use them. Parts are already gone that I checked on just a few months ago. If your are seriously interested in something, then reply to this thread and I will check. I Have the ability to check every Honda Wherehouse in the Country. Help me save these parts and not let them Die like our trikes did for no reason at all!!!!

ATCnut
05-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Lomax

I want to know all the 350X parts that are Z coded. I will personally do my best to rescue them.

Thank you very much for the heads up.

double r
05-21-2005, 12:58 AM
is there any way you could talk them into maybe reducing the price, or even better than that, give them to you. i mean if they're going to destroy them, why not just give them away. they would still be getting rid of the stuff, just in a better way. anyway i'm interested in 84r parts. on/off switch, swingarm bolt, the small air ducts on the frame, tank shrouds, and a chain buffer for the swingarm. let me know if you find anything. thanks :)

Lomax
05-21-2005, 01:04 AM
is there any way you could talk them into maybe reducing the price, or even better than that, give them to you. i mean if they're going to destroy them, why not just give them away. they would still be getting rid of the stuff, just in a better way. anyway i'm interested in 84r parts. on/off switch, swingarm bolt, the small air ducts on the frame, tank shrouds, and a chain buffer for the swingarm. let me know if you find anything. thanks :)

I Have already tried the "giving me the parts thing and it doesnt work, Its buy or die. Its really sad. you will be getting a discount as you will be getting my price on the items plus the shipping. I will check on the parts you have mentioned monday.

Lomax
05-21-2005, 01:06 AM
ATCnut- you need to be specific, a few parts at a time, Its a little more complicated than just punching it in. Tell me a few parts specific, and lets go from there

KayodicWeazel
05-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Do they have any ATC 110 o.e.m. axles/sprockets/chains?

Lomax
05-21-2005, 01:36 AM
Do they have any ATC 110 o.e.m. axles/sprockets/chains?
I can check on an axle, but why are you worried about sprockets and chains, I can get you as many as you need aftermarket and they look the same (or at least damn close)???

Trike Dude
05-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Here are a few things I could use. I put them in order of importance

83/84 250R stuff:

*Complete rear brake set up(caliper, master cyl, resivior, hoses)*
*set of foot pegs*
switch assembly(lights, on/off)
rear light assbly
front fork parts
fork boots

86 250R:

*Left side motor case!*
oem tank shrouds
fork boots

any other parts

350x Stuff:

Plastic-front and rear, headlight housing and shrouds for 86
fork boots
seats
wiring harness

anything else

Thanks

*=need right away!

Lomax
05-21-2005, 01:46 AM
on the anything else, I prolly cant help you but I will start checkin monday and Pm everyone with the results. Thanks for trying to help out with this

Trike Dude
05-21-2005, 01:49 AM
Thank you for the chance at some OEM parts hopefully at a sweet price.

Lomax
05-21-2005, 01:51 AM
it will be at mine + the ship. I just cant stand to see them destroyed for no good reason

seadoo650
05-21-2005, 01:51 AM
obviously 83 200x parts. Rear brake assembly, on/off headlight switch, front headlight housing, kickstart.

Fox250R
05-21-2005, 03:10 AM
Whats the peice called that holds the front break hose back on the left side on a 85/86 250R?

erectordale
05-21-2005, 03:21 AM
lomax if you could check i need th dash and key switch for a 87 200x all the electric controls on the handle bars the light switch kill switch etc... and also 81 250r airbox lid or a complete airbox Dale

SPD FRK
05-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Where do we send our complaints? I can write a mean letter even if my trike is long since stolen and gone.
Lets start a letter campaign. This is one of the advantages of a community. Many voices heard as one. Lets collect our shout and direct its energy toward a difference. All we need to do is come together as a group, focus and be constructive.

LETS BE HEARD

TrikerR
05-21-2005, 05:11 AM
Where do we send our complaints? I can write a mean letter even if my trike is long since stolen and gone.
Lets start a letter campaign. This is one of the advantages of a community. Many voices heard as one. Lets collect our shout and direct its energy toward a difference. All we need to do is come together as a group, focus and be constructive.

LETS BE HEARD

this happening, while being very sad and fustrating, was inivitable(sp?). honda does not really care about a product that is over 20 years old and not in production any more.

i knew that this would come one day, so this is whyi do not get angry when i see a machone parted out on ebay, cause if it wasnt for this we would soon run out of spare parts.

faf_racing
05-21-2005, 05:30 AM
Whats the peice called that holds the front break hose back on the left side on a 85/86 250R?
a clamp!! heck use a bread tie, a red one.

faf_racing
05-21-2005, 05:57 AM
this happening, while being very sad and fustrating, was inivitable(sp?). honda does not really care about a product that is over 20 years old and not in production any more.

i knew that this would come one day, so this is whyi do not get angry when i see a machone parted out on ebay, cause if it wasnt for this we would soon run out of spare parts.
one day we will run out of parts, its happening now people part these out cuz they cant get parts for them or it cost more than what its worth or its "discontinued" most of us buy these parts too keep our machines running,and one day when your machine dont run youll set it behind the garage hoping to fix it, till one day youll part it on ebay hoping too sell and no one will buy. look at the 185 parts on ebay noone buys them. and i cant sell mine

Louis Mielke
05-21-2005, 08:27 AM
You can't sell parts for 90,110,125,185, unsuspended 200s because quite frankly A. They aren't suspended and B. They are very plentiful beleive it or not.

The 70s on t he other hand, they usually sell pretty well. lol.

I've been toying with the idea of building a web page with the soul purpose of identifying partsa from newer quads that will almost directly, or with slight modification replace our trike parts.

It doable. and with all the honda clone engines nowadays, engine parts shouldn't be a problem. Plastic is is the real problem, sooner than later maier will stop making the trike stuff then we'll be sol. WE need to get into talks with them now about speacail orders and stuff, its going to get to a point where the only way our machines will survive is if we organize even more than we are now, and put our money where our mouths are. If I had the cash, I would speacial order 20+ sets of plastic for my R and X.

THe only hope for th eplastic is that maier will continue to keep the tooling and do speacial orders. Does anyone know if they do any discounts for large orders?

Huffa
05-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Isn't there some Honda executive we can all write to?

Start a poll and get 1000's of request that we need all the parts that are available, then send it to them?

If they see that there is a market for them that might change their mind in destroying them although maybe they too want to see them (3 wheelers) fade away?

jenndnn3
05-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Lomax, I would really love the red plastic (front and rear) for the 85 350x. I know this is impossible but I will always try.

deathman53
05-21-2005, 10:20 AM
another thing you guys seam to forget, atc's to honda represent bad days to them, thats what got them in so much trouble with the mothers' groups, safety activists, government and indirectly caused the sprt atv market to collapse, like it or not, atc's AND IRRESSPONSIBLE RIDERS did this. You guys realy think honda is gonna continue to make parts for 20 yr old bikes and especailly 20yr old bikes that caused them so much problems, I'm sure if honda exec's had there way every atc ever made would be destroyed, infact I'm told back in 88 and 89 honda did offer a program to turn in your atc for a big discount on new four wheelers. About 4-5 years ago a mothers' group tried to lobby honda to reinstate this program, well after her kid got hurt on a atc. Come-on guys its time to start getting realistic, atc's will never be made again and why sould honda make new parts for dead machines(in their minds).
You guys want a even better example, the trx250r, honda is already starting to discontinue parts for that, the main shaft for a 86 motor is one part and I'm sure there is alot more, headlights, pegs, peg plates, hubs, calipers, 88/89 motor cases, stock hoods, seats, THIS IS REALIITY, a trx250r is old machine(in their minds) and they are getting rid of it for new stuff, in the minds of a honda exec, how can they sell and produce new bikes if they still make every part for 20yr old bikes?????

Dirtcrasher
05-21-2005, 10:56 AM

That would be the "already discontinued piece"....

KayodicWeazel
05-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I can check on an axle, but why are you worried about sprockets and chains, I can get you as many as you need aftermarket and they look the same (or at least damn close)???

Yeah, I guess I could just get a Sidewinder sprocket set and then not worry about anything ever...

350xman
05-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi Lomax
Can you see if you can get a 86 ATC350X ON/OFF HEADLIGHT switch and not a 85 because I am looking for a 86 brand new OEM one.
Thanks 350xman

KayodicWeazel
05-21-2005, 04:36 PM
a clamp!! heck use a bread tie, a red one. A red zip tie, is the technical name you're groping for, LOL :D

Fox250R
05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
a clamp!! heck use a bread tie, a red one.
Not if im trying to make my bike look good! would you use a freaking bread tie? And im pretty sure its not called a clamp but W/E......

Tri-ZNate
05-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Could you look for
A. an on/off switch for an SX
B. a carrier bearing cover (on the right side and maybe the left of the SXs directly below the begining of the rear fender, remove it and you can tighten or loosen up the play in your rear.)
C. OEM metal headlight protector and the footpegs.
D. and a 3 wheeler that is z coded :naughty:

All the parts are for an SX. Thanks

mad_max
05-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Isn't there some Honda executive we can all write to?

Guys (and Gal :) ),

Emotion wont help... yeah WE all have it cause we all have trikes.

To Honda this is business, nothing else. I asked a parts manager at a Honda dealer what he did with all the old ATC parts he has had in stock (been in business for 30+ years) he said he sends them back to Honda as they allow returns for credit. At that point I'm sure Honda gets them back and probably sees they can write off the parts instead of spending money to maintain them in their distribution system. So they dispose of them. Again its a business decision.

Hats off to Lomax for his effort. I'd suggest that prople use partsfish or service honda to look up part numbers, that would make things much easier on Lomax. :beer

85 250sx
05-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi lomax I needed 86 250r radiatior shrouds, headlight, and a rear shock thanks

Huffa
05-22-2005, 12:21 AM
Ok I am sure that almost everyone on here knows that I own an ATV repair and acc. shop. Well, I get parts through a Honda o.e.m distributor and he inlightend me on something shocking the other day. I asked him about an AirBox for an 86 200X. he said that there were 3 left in the wherhouse and they were Z coded. That means they are set to be destroyed due to inactivity and or age. Well I bought all 3 of them just to save them from this doom. There are other parts this way, I am doing my damnedest to save what I can now but I cant save them all (as that would take alot of $$) I do not know whats left but if you are seriously wanting various parts then I will check. I am not trying to make anything off of these parts I just dont want them to be destroyed when somone on here could use them. Parts are already gone that I checked on just a few months ago. If your are seriously interested in something, then reply to this thread and I will check. I Have the ability to check every Honda Wherehouse in the Country. Help me save these parts and not let them Die like our trikes did for no reason at all!!!!

Now that I think of it, we all do. The Honda dealer I go to does it all the time for me. They told me this is what is accomplished when they look for a part. Simple as keying in a search on the computer.

Meat-BoX
05-22-2005, 01:37 AM
What I dont get is why Destroy the Parts, why not have a big ass E-Bay sale or a store Buyout. It makes no sence to just desrroy them. We need People to Start Building Parts for Trikes. I know only the Bigger Trikes get some goodies but it would be nice to be able to go to some website and Purchase a Headlight Guard and some Racks for my Honda 125 M Anything would be better than nothing. If people didnt do this now there wouldnt be any muscle cars around today. Where are all the Skilled Machinist to keep us alive. A soon as my welder is Up I hope to design Skid Plates and Double FootPegs with angled extenders for the 84-85 Tecate.

Dads
05-22-2005, 04:00 AM
Be nice if you had a list of Z code parts.

bigyellow4x4
05-22-2005, 06:32 PM
i need 250r head light "glasss " 85 how much for rear fenders and is there any color opsions with honda plastic?

Lomax
05-22-2005, 11:34 PM
the parts that get destroyed (z-coded) are done so not really because of age, its done because of inactivity, to make room on the selves for new parts. Here's something else you will find interesting. Lets say you buy an axle for a 350 Honda Rancher, you find out you dont need it and your dealer takes it back. They have to have a certain amount of credit before they can send it back to honda. Well, when they finally get enough credit up, and send it back, Honda doesnt re-stock the item, they throw it away. Even though the part is brand new, they dont have the man power to put it back on the shelves and they dont want to just sell it cheap. Its easier and better (in taxes) to just toss it. Kinda shows you how much honda cares about its customers and parts availiblitiy
I will start checking on parts Monday and post my results on everything as soon as I know. Please be paitent as this is alot of parts
-William

KayodicWeazel
05-23-2005, 01:11 AM
That is really really stupid. It wastes resources and valuable parts that aren't made anymore...

Tecate performance
05-23-2005, 01:46 AM
GM does the same thing as far as parts ordered by customers or obsolete parts. like you said, its cheaper to do that.

is there any way someone could call their local dealers and ask what parts are z coded or considered obsolete, Lomax? i'm sure there are some parts that are classified by honda as discontinued, but sit on a shelf somewhere unnoticed. :wondering

86250RZ
05-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Not if im trying to make my bike look good! would you use a freaking bread tie? And im pretty sure its not called a clamp but W/E......

Actually, it is called a clamp. A brake hose clamp to be exact.

RideRed250R
05-23-2005, 01:21 PM
All throw down all the money i can for 250R parts 85-86
adam

walker
05-23-2005, 01:31 PM
If you can I would like to know if there are any z-coded 85 250es rear fenders or brake cables.

Lomax
05-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Ok here's what I have found out as of right now. If you do not see a part that you asked about listed, then please ask again and I will check here are the following parts

1987 ATC 200X
Dash-Availible 16 bucks + ship
Key switch-Availible 30 bucks + ship
Left HandleBar Switch- Availible 80 Bucks + ship

1984 ATC 250R
Left HandleBar Switch-GONE
Swingarm Bolt-GONE
Chain Buffer-GONE
Caliper-GONE
Master cylinder-GONE
Resivior-GONE
Hose-GONE
Rear Taillight Assembly-Availible 50 bucks + ship
Footpegs-GONE

1986 ATC 250R
Left Side Case-GONE
Rear Shock-GONE

1985 ATC 350X
Wiring Harness-GONE

1986 ATC 350X
Left HandleBar Switch-GONE

1983 ATC 200X
Rear Caliper-GONE
Left Handlebar switch-GONE
Kickstarter-GONE

1981 ATC 250R
AirBox Lid-GONE

1985 ATC 250SX
Left Handlebar Switch-GONE

1985 ATC 250R
Light Glass-GONE

I do need to mention that the prices that I recive from Honda are not that much of a Discount than what you get from your Dealer, After all the shipping tails into things then your best bet is probably the dealer. However I didnt started this thread to save parts, not make money........

Lomax
05-23-2005, 03:41 PM
GM does the same thing as far as parts ordered by customers or obsolete parts. like you said, its cheaper to do that.

is there any way someone could call their local dealers and ask what parts are z coded or considered obsolete, Lomax? i'm sure there are some parts that are classified by honda as discontinued, but sit on a shelf somewhere unnoticed. :wondering

I am not real sure, See i can only check parts in the wherhouses, not ever dealer, just because the House doesnt have it anymore doesnt mean that there isnt one laying a dealer's shelf somewhere.......

Dirtcrasher
05-23-2005, 09:04 PM

Are you talking about the guide that bolts to the upper fork leg?? Most R's don't have that for very long, and I believe it's gone. Or are you talking about the clamp on the lower portion of the disc that keeps the hose away from the disc??

350x'inNY
05-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Actually, it is called a clamp. A brake hose clamp to be exact.

Errrrrrrrrrrr... thanks for playing... The correct term is "GUIDE, BRAKE HOSE"... I have the part numbers, but I'd have to kill you if I told you! It goes on top of the fork right?

Chicho
05-23-2005, 10:37 PM
That is really really stupid. It wastes resources and valuable parts that aren't made anymore...

Yeah, it does suck for us as consumers and people in need of obsolete parts, but from Honda's POV...

Obsolescence leads to new purchases. These days manufacturers from various industries actually plan obsolescence. "They don't make 'em like they used to" and we are buying more than we ever used to. Ironic, huh? One would think that quality would factor into purchasing decisions much moreso than that.

When things break and aren't readily repairable people usually buy new. The plus side for consumers is typically lower prices (assuming all things equal and true competition), maybe a few more R&D/manufacturing jobs, and the chance to make a few $$$ selling obsolete parts for the older, more durable products. If Honda wants to sell more new ATVs they would be well served by destroying these parts... plus they save on warehouse costs. If the parts have depreciated fully, they carry a negative value due to warehouse costs and our potential "asset" becomes their actual liability.

Another factor would be low interest rates and easy financing - gotta move the new product when the market is soft. Depending upon where Honda's new product price equilibrium is, it could make good business sense to phase these parts out due to the general premise of economies of scale... and the ever escalating time-preference status of the average consumer.

Typically when goods have become completely depreciated it is partially due to the manufacturers having already ramped up their investment into production and need to see boosted new sales... at least that correlation usually holds true.

In short, it's a whole lotta BS, but the reasoning is that it may end up contributing to industry advancements and more affordable products in the future.... in some small way. The best way to fight this is to make the resulting niche market profitable enough to hold Honda's attention (a la "certified used" cars). IOW, don't buy new and pay out your @ss for old parts.

Billy Golightly
05-23-2005, 10:49 PM
How would someone inquire about the actual process of the "Destruction" of said parts?

Chicho
05-23-2005, 11:00 PM
How would someone inquire about the actual process of the "Destruction" of said parts?

The best way would be to contact someone in corporate operations or cost accounting at Honda's ATV division. There should be defined models available for dealing with fully or nearly depreciated goods.

Most likely, destruction entails the cheapest way possible of disarding these parts. Might be selling off the parts as scrap to commercial recyclers who will take the goods FOB shipping or better yet, speaking Incotermically, FAS. Or for other parts just having them carted off to some landfill. Also, with multi-nationals, it is often profitable to pay for the goods to be transferred to less "active" markets where financing and new purchases aren't as commonplace.

Edit: Honda's parts center is located at it's main US facility in Alpharetta, GA.
Here - http://tinyurl.com/7mbb5 - for contact info.

Billy Golightly
05-24-2005, 08:51 PM
That is not far from me, about 300 miles... Lomax and I spoke on the phone, and from what his distributor told him, most of the Z code parts were in Cali. I'm seriously gonna look into what the possibilities are of retreiving some of these parts if they are just thrown away (Seems like the cheapest thing to do). In most states, anything throw into a dumpster is public domain as long as its not inside a fenced in area. However, a few lizard skins to bargain with the garbage man would probably not be out of the question :D

Lomax
05-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Its in the Works HondaATC. I foudn out that the wherhouse is near thousand Oaks Cali. (wherever the hell that is) He really couldnt give me an answer about the "dumpster diving" though.....
He's a Plus, while working with them on this idea, he has contacted honda and they are creating a Z-Code list for him (me).. Make things easier.

Billy Golightly
05-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Sweet...maybe we're onto something! Keep us posted.

RichinMO
05-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Lomax, I just tried to order the '87 200x dash (53205-HB5-670) and key switch (35010-HB5-670) from service honda, they said it was discontinued. Are you really still able to get these somehow??
I ordered all parts needed to put a key switch on my 250r (top bar mounts and associated hardware). SH ordered all that but then told me the actual dash & switch is discon.

If you can still somehow order those items, that would be awesome. (Also PM'd you)
Thanks, Rich

KayodicWeazel
05-26-2005, 10:30 PM
I would try eBay, or the 3wwf classifieds...

Lomax
05-31-2005, 06:29 PM
UPDATE: The 87 200X dash panel is now gone, I ordered the last one for a fellow 3ww member.

RichinMO
06-01-2005, 10:35 AM
OK, I'll take the key switch anyway. I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and won't be around until probably the 14th. Maybe you'll have it by then. Just email me and let me know what the total with shipping to me is Plato, MO 65552. Was there only one 200x dash available because I only saw one other person asking for one? If someone bought them all to put on ebay, wait until I get back so I can bid on it. :wondering
Also, your PM box is full.
Thanks, Rich

Afrothunderkat
07-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Just found this thread

It's a shame honda would rather destroy them than donate them, or at least sell them at a highly reduced cost.