PDA

View Full Version : need help fast

trikerider2oo7
05-20-2005, 10:49 PM
i cant get the rear axle out of my 350x to change the bearings and i need it for tomorrow. amc told me to make it go one way, remove the snapring, then take off the posi lock nut and go back the other way with it. i cant get it to go the way to get out the snapring. anyone have any hints or tips or tricks?

Lomax
05-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Do you have another snapring? and do you have a dremel tool with an assortment of bits? I am being serious, I had issues with a Warrior eariler this week and I can somewhat walk you through this...

trikerider2oo7
05-20-2005, 10:55 PM
i have a dremel but no more snaprings

Lomax
05-20-2005, 10:57 PM
whats the problem with the snapring, is it froze up on the axle?

trikerider2oo7
05-20-2005, 10:58 PM
no...its under the posi lock nut and it needs to come out from under it to be taken off

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Move both nuts towards the brake hub, this will expose the ring, then pop the ring out, loosen the nuts the other way, and the whole deal pops off.

Is the nut froze or what? Lubricant? Big wrench? hammer?

Lomax
05-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Alright, I havent dismantled the rear end of my 350X (as there is no motor on it so it would make little sence to install new bearings lol) is it the same setup as a 250X/300EX?

Lomax
05-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Move both nuts towards the brake hub, this will expose the ring, then pop the ring out, loosen the nuts the other way, and the whole deal pops off.

Thanks alot for showing up, I am glad someone with a little more time on the 350 showed up than me, I am still a newbie to them, I still thought that I could help though

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Also.

The retainer may be seized over the ring. In this case, just soak it with some penatrating oil, Then smack it with a hammer (towards the brake hub). If you arent that good of a shot with a hammer, Then press a flathead screwdriver against the retainer and hammer the driver.

trikerider2oo7
05-20-2005, 11:03 PM

it wont turn back...it llooks like its back as far as it goes. i tried lubing it up good and turning real hard and it would come back towards the brake hub. and yes, i know its left hand threads before anyone asks

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Hold up boss. Let me go take a picture and try explaining that way...

EDIT- Cancel that, Too dark to get a veiwable picture. Camera cant focus.

Are you turning both nuts towards the brake disc as far as possible?

mike from long island
05-20-2005, 11:12 PM
dont forget it has reverse threads do you have a manual? i just replaced my bearings and seals on sunday. it took me longer to get the lock nut loose then anything else. i had to use a 3 foot pipe wrench with my foot pounding on it. i greased the crapp out of it when i put it back together so next time it will be a little easier. good luck

Lomax
05-20-2005, 11:12 PM
I know this is off topic but Lots Of Nothing, is that a trail wolf on the front of you 350X?

trikerider2oo7
05-20-2005, 11:20 PM
it just turns the engine over backwards...

Lomax
05-20-2005, 11:39 PM
DO you have the tires off the ground? if so, set them down and nose the trike up to a wall and try that.....

trikerider2oo7
05-20-2005, 11:41 PM
it will still roll backwards...it needs to go the other way first

Lomax
05-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Your going to have to find someway to bind the rearend up. thats going to be your only hope from what it sounds like to me. Can you take the fenders off, push it against soemthing and do it that way???

ATCnut
05-21-2005, 12:57 AM
See the picture for the wrenches I use for my 350X axle nuts. I put my trike on the stand, so the back wheels are off of the ground. I put the wrench on the lock nut, and then grab the wheel and turn it as fast as I can so the wrench bangs on the concrete floor. A couple of shots of this and they come off.

Looking at the picture of the rear end, the threaded sleeve is splined on the inside, and goes over splines on the axle. The big nut pushes against the collar that pushes against the snap ring. The snap ring is the part shown closest to the wheel hub, then comes the collor, then comes the big nut. The lock nut is the skinny one that is four out from the hub. The big nut and the lock nut are left hand thread.

First you loosten the lock nut. turn it until it is very close to the brake rotor and the rotor hub. Then turn the big nut until the collar is exposed. Use a big flat ended punch to tap the collar off of the snap ring. Then pry the snap ring out of its groove in the axle, pry it towards the end of the axle. Slide the snap ring all the way off of the end, then the collar, big nut, lock nut, and splined and threadded sleeve will slide off.

Hope this helps

trikerider2oo7
05-21-2005, 08:50 PM
i got it fixed...thanks guys