PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Woes-->homeowners please read

atctim
05-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I am being told by my insurance agent that my three wheelers are not covered under my homeowners policy, because they are vehicles and need seperate policies as such. Now the cheapest policy per 3wheeler I have found here in PA is $130 per 3 wheeler (Progressive Ins.). Being as though I have 5 3 wheelers, that is $650 per year. I find this to be outrageous!!!!! To insure my most prized possesions which I only ride one of alot, is more than my car insurance. What options do I have hear? All I want to insure them for is fire and theft. If someone were to break into my locked garage and steal them, I'd be out, but $650 / year is rediculous. I'm no theif and consider my self to be an honest and upright citezen, but it makes me want to only insure one, and use that one policy to cover them all. Also, maybe I'll just theif proof my garage and tapcon some type of anchor system to my floor that holds the axles or something. This however would not be good in case of a fire. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I've already had my street bike stolen, and don't wantto go though that again. Just trying to look out for number 1 without going broke.

Suggestions, comments, Please - I am getting a headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

bigredhead
05-20-2005, 04:24 PM
only 130 $ ???

wow you got it good.

they want 400 for mine ! here in canada.

I wrote a long letter a while back in the open forum.

same here.. any ride-on mowers.. 3 wheelers.. etc.. are not covered by my policy.

if i get broken in.. i'm claiming a TONNE of tools... it's my only option.

skippy
05-20-2005, 04:34 PM
this is correct.. but if you got a bunch of parts stolen,.. * would be covered!! HUmm,..lol.. like a frame, motor, plastic, wheels..etc..

i have coverage on 2 of my race bikes., other then that, i have other means of protection...

x.system
05-20-2005, 07:58 PM
I also just checked on insurance about a month ago and the price was almost the same. The bad thing is you can't get a policy for just fire and theft, they are charging you for a full package. I have 4 complete bikes in the garage and the rest are torn down and in boxes in my basement. I keep everything of value inside the house besides the complete machines. Your best bet is to document all your parts with video and make a list of everything you have and keep it somewhere else, like your parents house, grandparents house. Also, make more than one copy of the video if you go that route.

going4broketecate85
05-21-2005, 10:02 AM
I have my 85 Tecate covered under my homeowners Ins. as an add on policy to cover it and it costs $75 a year, it did go up from last years price of $45! But it only covers that one as they have the VIN# I Just paid it 2 weeks ago.

Mr. Sandman
05-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Every state has difference insurance laws and rules. I recently inquired about insuring my bikes and was told the same thing. My homeowners policy doesn't cover them in the garage and my auto policy only covers up to $1000 if they are wrecked when I'm hauling them in my trailer. My cost to have full coverage on two quads and my 250R is $250 per year. For that amount they would be covered for fire, theft, or from being wrecked by me or hit by anyone else, including someone without insurance.

Since I was recently in a major accident with my truck and trailer, Ive learned a lot more than I really cared to about dealing with uninsured motorists and how valuable my insurance policies really are.

ScottZJ
05-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I have any and all my trikes, bikes, and atv's all covered thru my insurance company for around 150$ a year. Anytime I sell one or add one, they just need the vin# and make and model. I usually send them a pic along with that info so they have that on file. The price never goes up or down depending on how many bikes I have. So maybe some areas of the states are different, or maybe you guys need to change agents haha.

lisnup65
05-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Here in Wisconsin, my homeowners policy covers the machines against fire, theft, etc. It also covers damages to and from as long as its on MY property. If I leave the property I have to have a seperate policy for each machine to cover collisions, liability, theft, etc...

RideRed250R
05-24-2005, 01:47 PM
well i live in cali and our two in our garage at my house are covered under the policy because they are being stored in our home and fit under the policy.. my insurance is State Farm.
adam

250r'en +TCB
05-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Thief proof your grage first. Then whenever you go somewhere riding, brige a decently thick chain and one of those locks you can't cut with a pair of cutters. When you stop somehwere and have to walk awy from the trike, chain it to something, and chain around the kick start. And, park it in a public place.Thats what I do. No theif wants to waste time cutting a damn chain, and risk getting caught by somebody.........