PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 200es no spark. Help!

diskman_1
05-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Sorry if this has been beaten to death before. I googled and came up with several ideas to no avail. I am hoping someone can help me before I need to shell out $400 for a coil and CDI unit.

Last weekend, I noticed that my 200es was idling poorly to the point of quitting and it always needed some throttle to keep running. It has NEVER done this before and I assumed that dirt was in the carb. I got it home and it wouldn't start on the trailer. After some diagnosing, I discovered there is no spark and the plug was very black. I believe the poor ideling was/is due to electrical of some sort now. I also have a 1984 ATC110 in running condition that I am able to help debug this problem. Here is what I have found so far.

I swapped the coil from the 110 to the 200 and so forth. Both coils run on the 110.

When I hook up an LED 12v trouble light on the 12V wire to the coil in the 200 I get very intermittent blinking for about 1 second then the LED blinks in time with the compression stroke. So there is SOME voltage getting to the coil ad the right time, but it's probably not enough I assume?

When I metered the pulse generator, I get a nice swing of inductance. Does anyone know what the resistance of the pickup is supposed to be? I assume it's working as I get pulses at the coil.

I tested the CDI Unit as per the Honda shop manual and I cannot get any readings across the pins as the book says I should. I tried it with my 110 CDI and I get readings.

Now what? Should I just bend over and order a new CDI ($189) and hope it works? What else should I check? I am getting some voltage pulses at the coil but I assume it's not enough amperage.

I also swapped spark plug wires between the ATCs to test with. I did swap the CDI from the 110 to the 200 but the 110 is missing a pin (RS) and it causes my 200 to think it's always in reverse. I used the pull start but still no spark in that case. I am assuming the 110 CDI is different anyways. The plug was the same. Yes, it still works on my 110. :)

Any ideas? We are looking forward to using these Memorial weekend in northern Minnesota so any ideas would be great!

TIA!

diskman_1
05-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Seems to work again! YAY! :w00t: I tested the stator and it checked out OK at 215 Ohms and was outputting ~30V AC while starter was spinning with plug removed. I cleaned the plug connectors (very nasty) and applied new grease to the connections. I get spark again! Runs really rich but that could be water in the gas as the kids tossed in some old gas from the lawn tractor last week.

Hopefully all is back to normal.