PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting valves help...and jettin Q

DeePa
05-18-2005, 12:31 AM
When i put the 200s motor back together, i looked at the rockers, and realized there was no play whatsoever in them. There was a slick tick tick in the top end, and i assumed it was the valves, especially since i rebuilt the top end and they were never touched in the previous 20 years.

I installed the motor and it ran fine, but it hasnt been run more than an hour.

I aligned the timing mark on the flywheel, and made sure it was on TDC stroke, and stock a screwdriver down the spark plug hole to make sure the piston was close. THe screwdriver went in about an inch before it hit the piston, so im pretty sure it was on tdc.

Then i got my feeler guage, opened up teh valve covers, and the valves had no play whatsoever. It took a good 5-6 turns on the adjuster screws to get some play. I set them both to .003 (or close, it was my first time) and tightened everythign down making sure it didnt move the adjustment screws, put the covers back on, and started it up.

There is now a worse clicking/ticking noise in the top end. It has to be from the valves. What did I do wrong, how do i fix it? Should the valves needed to be adjusted that much (5-6 360 deg turns? from where they were when the motor was taken apart?)

Now, about jetting. The whole bike is stock excpet for a cobra Q (utility) series exhause header/muffler. Would I need to rejet for it? Or can i just leave it be (not caring about performance gains). Would adjusting the air screw help, and if so, which way to make it richer/leaner. What about the needle clip setting? I'm a carb noob, all i can do is clean and rebuild them, but have no idea to set them other than book specs.

I took the plug out today to make the engine easier to move with the flywheel, and the plug was all dusty black. What does this mean? I know its supposed to be a tanish color, but every plug i remember out of that bike was black.

Thanks for reading, and please help a fool,

Mike

MTS
05-18-2005, 12:39 AM
you have to have the piston on TDC of the Compression stroke when you set the valves, i think you had it on a diffrent stroke, anyways check this out for setting valves http://www.3wheeler.org/dirtwheels/6-87~tuneupindex.html