PDA

View Full Version : 1985 250es question?

boogie5184
05-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I have finally got my parts in today. I am replacing the front wheel bearings , the rear wheel bearings and the differential bearings. first of all my question is about the bearings. 1) Should they just slide into the housing or should I have to press or knock the bearings into their housings? My other question is about the diff oil. 2) I have some vavoline 85w 140 gear oil already here from a leftover project last year, would that be fine to put in there? 3) should i grease these wheel bearings before i put them in or are the made to go in dry? 4) on the diff bearings they are the only ones that are not sealed. Should I pack them with grease or will the gear oil by itself be enough to keep them lubed ? :eek:

bigredhead
05-17-2005, 02:31 PM
They need to be pressed and or knocked out and in .

recommended 80w hypoid gear oil but i'm sure 85 w is close enough unless you ride in sub zero weather all the time.

any bearing with seals built in should be left alone, unsealed exposed to the 80w oil is fine, but they should have a seal on the outside of the bearing ???? !!!

boogie5184
05-17-2005, 02:41 PM
thanks big red! I am going to get a soft wire brush bit so i can clean the housing up a little better. I have a hard wire brush but i don't want to use it because it may take some of the metal off with the grime. Also should I apply or should i say would it be o.k. to put a little grease on the outside of the bearings to help with the installation?

bigredhead
05-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Hell yeah.. i coat the inside of the rear axle tubes as best i can.. with marine cup grease... don't be shy with it !

boogie5184
05-17-2005, 03:04 PM
thanks boss! Just checking before I get started. This is my first trike since I was a kid and it was a honda 70 and my dad was the one working on it. Then after a friend got killed on a big red my dad got rid of mine. but I always rode them at friends house's. What he didn't know didn't kill him. plus all of them had bigger trikes than I had.

bigredhead
05-17-2005, 03:06 PM
You will need some bearing pucks or BIG sockets to tap them back inp lace squarely, don't worry too much about the getting them out part.. but be gentle with the new ones.

ADVICE !!! READ CAREFULLY !

the left and right side bearings are DIFFERENT THICKNESS.. the ones on the righ are wider than the left side ( when sitting on seat ) by about 1 mm each.

When you take them out... place them on a piece of paper and mark their origin as you go !!!!!!!!!!!!

boogie5184
05-17-2005, 03:07 PM
I have already took my bearings all out?? OOppps

bigredhead
05-17-2005, 03:15 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=33945

Some of my past experiences.. looking for the other.. be right back.

bigredhead
05-17-2005, 03:29 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=30576&page=1&highlight=URGENT

could'nt find the link i was looking for .. but found this one... your Big Red is just about the same as my SX.... the more you know the better it is ! IMO.

boogie5184
05-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks Bigredhead. That helps alot. Well I just got called to go to work. Got to drive a train to birmingham. I'm always on call. well thanks for all the help. I'm glad I found this site. You wouldn't believe how much its helped me. See ya'll. be back in a few days.
:beer

rob0781
05-18-2005, 05:50 AM
They need to be pressed and or knocked out and in .

recommended 80w hypoid gear oil but i'm sure 85 w is close enough unless you ride in sub zero weather all the time.

any bearing with seals built in should be left alone, unsealed exposed to the 80w oil is fine, but they should have a seal on the outside of the bearing ???? !!!
Sealed bearings are usually lubed already but i find there not lubed well i always pop the seals outta the bearing with a needle and load it full of grease then the seals snap right back in ,as long as you don't ruin them taking them out,after that i install them and with all that extra grease they seem too last longer,probally cause they repell watter and dirt better and theres less friction with added grease..

jeswinehart
05-18-2005, 07:17 AM
it might be as good as time as any to add grease zirks to those tubes on the left + right of the differential.

john

ewalker302
05-18-2005, 07:04 PM
You can rent a master set of bearing drivers from auto zone.

They really come in handy when repalcing some larger sizes you may not have a socket for.

boogie5184
05-19-2005, 11:07 PM
thanks guys! I'll think about that. I am having one more problem though. The bearing on the front of the differential, how in the world does that thing come out ? Well my main problem is the nut thats on ethe front . I can't get that thing off. Does anyone have a detailed diagram of how the bearing ang gear sit in there. I have put the impact wrench on it but it doesn't budge. PLEASE HELP !!!
:mad:

ewalker302
05-20-2005, 05:13 AM
I have seen on here where some people are able to get them off themselves.
From what I have read that pinion nut is really on there, and it usually has to be loosed by a stronger impact wrench than most people have.

You prob will have to take it to a shop to have it loosened.

bigredhead
05-20-2005, 08:38 AM
I have NOT done this so take it for what it's worth.

If you slide the axle thru the diff so that the splines hook.. then mount 1 wheel on the end of the axle.. should help the thing stay put enough to get the nut off with a breaker bar .

I looked at mine.. had the bearing, but it was in good shape and did'nt want to mess with it.

Let us know how you get it out !

boogie5184
05-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks Ya'll. I think I might have to take it to a shop to get it off.
Bigredhead, I have already tried that, but that thing won't move.
I have been looking at diagrams on bikebandit.com and it looks as if the gear and stuff should come out when you take the (hex) nut off. Any ideas on how to get that out. I need to go to the honda shop for a foot brake spring anyway , maybie I should just take it to them and see what they say?? All I know is I'm stuck!!! I believe that the bearing is ok but since I have a new one with the kit I would like to replace it. :o

freewheel3
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks Ya'll. I think I might have to take it to a shop to get it off.
Bigredhead, I have already tried that, but that thing won't move.
I have been looking at diagrams on bikebandit.com and it looks as if the gear and stuff should come out when you take the (hex) nut off. Any ideas on how to get that out. I need to go to the honda shop for a foot brake spring anyway , maybie I should just take it to them and see what they say?? All I know is I'm stuck!!! I believe that the bearing is ok but since I have a new one with the kit I would like to replace it. :o
I have never messed with one of these but is the hex nut left hand thread by any chance?

conig
10-27-2005, 10:09 AM
place the bearings in the freezer over night they will shrink just abit. then heat the housing up good with a propane or butane torch the bearings should slide in or go in with very little force this way just make sure the housing cools before you install any rubber seals.