PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you ever seen even 1/2 of these Kawi production 3W'ers?

Huffa
05-17-2005, 06:26 AM
I have this link in my "I spy" post but thought it deserved seperate post.

http://www.kawasaki.ca/museum_atv.html#1980s

I never knew they made so many and have a lot of features that all other brands don't. Read the model literature and you'll see what I mean.

A few are (on some): trick unlocking differental, the front end acts like a antidive suspension actually rising as you brake, and gas tank under the seat.

Not bad looking either.

I have never heard (not that I checked all post) one member talk about them except for the 250 Prarie.

They even had a POLICE model!!!

Quote: "Parks and beaches were safer after the Police 250 (KLT250-P) debuted. The special police model was based on the popular Prairie 250 ATV".

chris200x
05-17-2005, 07:27 AM
That's a very informative website you posted there Huffa. Personally I think most of the models are fugly. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. lol My favorite would have to be the 85-86 tecate. I also like the green tecate 4. My friend had a white one a cuople years back and BOY were those things fast. Just my .o2 though.

Lomax
05-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Yeah the Kawasaki's were a little odd, but I think thats its because we are all used to seeing hondas. I have a 4 Kawasaki trikes, a Klt110, Klt160, which are basically more "normal" trikes then I have a KLT200 and a Duckster. Those are really strange machines with all kinds of oddities, they even have a manual clutch!! I found one of those 250 praires the other day, I havent done much about it but I know that its not going anywhere and its safe and inside so I will worry with it later.

Jeb
05-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the link to that site! Very cool.

I'd like to have the first KLT200 pictured. Looks like it has gold aluminum rims!

Huffa
05-17-2005, 07:11 PM
Yeah the Kawasaki's were a little odd, but I think thats its because we are all used to seeing hondas. I have a 4 Kawasaki trikes, a Klt110, Klt160, which are basically more "normal" trikes then I have a KLT200 and a Duckster. Those are really strange machines with all kinds of oddities, they even have a manual clutch!! I found one of those 250 praires the other day, I havent done much about it but I know that its not going anywhere and its safe and inside so I will worry with it later.

You have a Duckster!

Lets see it! You got one rare machine there.

Why don't you have the Mother Duckster listed as one of your trikes then?

I'd be proud to own such a machine.

Huffa
05-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the link to that site! Very cool.

I'd like to have the first KLT200 pictured. Looks like it has gold aluminum rims!

Your welcome Jeb.

..........and ya know the only reason they look odd is because most have them have the gas tanks under the seat and the "'shroud" is so skinny.

Makes the motors have a larger then normal look.

Really, I'd love to have any of them just because they are so rare.

Never knew the Tecate came in red also.

Well lookie here what I've done found! ............Auction - June 11

1750 miles away from me and yes, I'm lunatic enough to go out and bid on it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10’ Winnebago Pickup Camper, self contained

Kawasaki Duckster 3-Wheeler, 200cc :D :beer

Elgin Wondermill Windmill, 30’ tower

(2) VHF 2-way Business Band Radios

Huffa
05-17-2005, 07:56 PM
How the Duckster came about - quite interesting & funny too.

Mike Vaughan, Publisher

My first involvement in the ATV market began in 1979 when I was at Kawasaki. My then-boss, vice president of sales and marketing Chuck Larsen, was working mightily to convince the Japanese that Kawasaki should start producing ATVs--or ATCs, as they were referred to then. Nobody knew exactly how big the market was because sales numbers weren't reported. By and large these vehicles weren't registered, and for the most part they were sold in rural C and D markets and used on farms where they weren't terribly visible. It was hard to tell if it was much of a business.

Kawasaki's Japanese management agreed to produce a three-wheeler, called the KLT. By today's standard it was pretty primitive, but it sold well and looked good on the bottom line. Chuck was an outdoorsman. Hunting and fishing were two of his big passions. He told the Japanese that we needed to do one of the KLTs in camo for duck hunters. Chuck told them it would open up a whole new market. The Japanese said they would.
Continue article
Advertisement
Click Here!

A few months later, a camo-painted KLT was delivered to the R&D department at Kawasaki. It was just a short time from production, and the Japanese needed a go/no-go on the camo job. The only people from the product development committee not on vacation were Dave Dewey (now of Targa Accessories fame) and I.

We dutifully marched down to the R&D center; they unveiled what was to become known as The Duckster, and asked us if it looked all right. My only experience with camo was in the army, and I don't think Dave had ever given camo a moment's thought. Neither one of us were duck hunters. I looked at Dave, Dave looked at me, and we both shrugged our shoulders and told them it looked fine. The Duckster headed off for production.

Chuck Larsen eventually returned from vacation, got his own look at the Duckster and called us into his office. His first words were along the line of "What the (insert long and impressive string of epithets) were you guys thinking? That camo is all wrong! It looks like desert camo. It should look like wetlands or forest, and it needs to be a lot greener!"

Our defense was that we were ignorant of the nuances of camouflage. One type looked pretty much like another, and are ducks really smart enough to know the difference.

According to Chuck they were. The Duckster lasted just one or two years before fading away. I'd like to think Kawasaki was just too far ahead of the times, but the reality probably is that Chuck had a good idea, and Dave and I made a very big mistake.

Now we have a quad market that's full of camouflaged ATVs, one of which is even endorsed by Ducks Unlimited. Not only that, but it's a huge market, significantly bigger than motorcycles. If we want to keep this market healthy, buyers must be cognizant of the regulations regarding usage, passenger load and protective gear. Make sure that your sales staff is briefed on the laws governing ATVs, and that buyers are fully aware of an ATV's unique handling characteristics, and the necessity of keeping the product where it belongs: off the highway.

TRI Z Racer
05-17-2005, 08:00 PM
i used to have a black klt160, liek the 1985 red one only it was black. i got it for xmas one year when i was in like 5th grade. that thing ran forever, the fenders were so thick and flexible, i never put one crack in it in the 7 or 8 years i rode it. never had a single problem with it. really really really well built. i ended up selling it to a kid down the rode from me when i turned 16 for money to buy a car, i got 500 for it. The kid ended up riding it up and down the road constantly and blew it up. it was in his yard for a couple years before he moved, now i have no idea where it is. Now that im looking back, that thing used to be able to pull better then my cousins honda 200s, whenever my uncle needed something pulled i always had to do it. plus it had reverse... that was the best! I was an idiot, i should have kept it. Luckily i still have my first ever three wheeler, the suziki alt 50 trail buddy. im planning on keeping that for my kids someday. I wish i could find my old kawasaki.

NOS_350X
05-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Most those have have viewed (in real life or pictures) at some time.

edog
05-17-2005, 08:16 PM
The 1984 Tecate,know thats what im talking about.I would love to add that to my garage.After i'm done with my dirtbike i don't think i will have anymore room.My next project is the 1985 Tri Z,just can't wait. :TrikesOwn

90nut
05-17-2005, 09:49 PM
I actually like the 84-85 tecate better than the 86-87. I don't know if it is because I own a 84 or what but man do I like that thing. People say that they would not have one as a daily ride but the only problems I have had with it so far is that the master cylinder now leaks, and the clutch operation is a little goofy. Other than that she has been quite fun. I even got to do a little cart wheel on her the other night. I swear that thing is WAY more dependable than my 200x. I am almost going to be afraid to ride it again once I get it put together again because that old boy leaves me stranded all the time. I also may be able to get what I think is a 250 klt? It has some weird diff thing that you turn a screw and it locks or something like that. The only time it has ever run I rode it and it would lay black marks on dry pavement! I also just passed up a klt 300 for 300 dollars that ran. I am starting to like these kawis more and more.

Huffa
05-17-2005, 10:11 PM
I actually like the 84-85 tecate better than the 86-87. I don't know if it is because I own a 84 or what but man do I like that thing. People say that they would not have one as a daily ride but the only problems I have had with it so far is that the master cylinder now leaks, and the clutch operation is a little goofy. Other than that she has been quite fun. I even got to do a little cart wheel on her the other night. I swear that thing is WAY more dependable than my 200x. I am almost going to be afraid to ride it again once I get it put together again because that old boy leaves me stranded all the time. I also may be able to get what I think is a 250 klt? It has some weird diff thing that you turn a screw and it locks or something like that. The only time it has ever run I rode it and it would lay black marks on dry pavement! I also just passed up a klt 300 for 300 dollars that ran. I am starting to like these kawis more and more.

Clarify (I'm curious) what things broke that stranded you on X?

trikerider2oo7
05-17-2005, 10:16 PM
cool link huffa...thanks ;)

YAMAHA_Jim
05-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks for that link. Nice trip down memory lane.I've only seen in person 2 or 3 kawasaki 3 wheelers that werent tecates.I've seen a dozen or so tecates.Kawi 3 wheelers werent very poplular in this part of NY back in the day..

Howdy
05-18-2005, 07:44 AM
i used to have a black klt160, liek the 1985 red one only it was black. i got it for xmas one year when i was in like 5th grade. that thing ran forever, the fenders were so thick and flexible, i never put one crack in it in the 7 or 8 years i rode it. never had a single problem with it. really really really well built. i ended up selling it to a kid down the rode from me when i turned 16 for money to buy a car, i got 500 for it. The kid ended up riding it up and down the road constantly and blew it up. it was in his yard for a couple years before he moved, now i have no idea where it is. Now that im looking back, that thing used to be able to pull better then my cousins honda 200s, whenever my uncle needed something pulled i always had to do it. plus it had reverse... that was the best! I was an idiot, i should have kept it. Luckily i still have my first ever three wheeler, the suziki alt 50 trail buddy. im planning on keeping that for my kids someday. I wish i could find my old kawasaki.

I have a 160 here that I would sell you. I even have a 185 to go with it. If interested let me know via PM.
Howdy

Jeb
05-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Great story on the Duckster!

A couple years ago I came across a duckster in a small junkyard at a small local shop. It looked pretty complete and might make a good restore. It was faded looking, but still had the camo decals. It's in Texas. If anyone is interested I can drop by and check on it again. Just drop me a PM.

I had a red 84 KXT for years. It was a great ATV. I got the bright idea to part it out a while back and now all I have left is the bare frame and a couple misc. small parts. :( :cry:

Lomax
05-18-2005, 02:40 PM
You have a Duckster!

Lets see it! You got one rare machine there.

Why don't you have the Mother Duckster listed as one of your trikes then?

I'd be proud to own such a machine.

Its in Terrible shape, the are alot of parts missing, not something that I have time to really mess with, It was in a lot of 12 machines that i picked up in a trade, I didnt even know that it was a duckster untill i found the seat for it. I agree that it would be a nice little machine to fix up, but other than my KLT110 and KLT160, the only other Kawasaki's I am after are T-3's. In other words, if someone wanted it, they could make me a reasonable offer and I would prolly take it.

LonesomeTriZ
05-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Huffa, I really wish you did not post that site link. I am really, seriously condsidering switching brands now. I really like the Kawi line up. I would love to have that whole collection.

Huffa
05-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Huffa, I really wish you did not post that site link. I am really, seriously condsidering switching brands now. I really like the Kawi line up. I would love to have that whole collection.

I do to, simply because of the rareity of them all and the unigue features they have and the looks are starting to grow on me also.

Like Chris said they are "fudgy" looking but thats what is unige about them!

Got you really thinking now , Huh? :D

LonesomeTriZ
05-18-2005, 03:23 PM
That is what I mean. They are so neat and unique at the same time. I would rather collect something not everybody else has.

slothminx
05-18-2005, 03:31 PM
My friend has a klt200c and the thing is rough, but it always runs and the plastics stand up to anything you can hit them with and you can go up anything. they are very well built trikes i really like them. I am now looking out for a klt110
will

90nut
05-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Huffa, the parts that have let me stranded on my x are the CDI took a crap on me, and some other small things like broken clutch cable, and once it died you could never get it to start again unless you were near a big hill or if I had a buddy with me to pull start it because of the infamous kicker issues. But mainly the ONLY problem I have had with the honda is just weird wiring issues. It will run fine for a while and then it will start missing and crap and then she would crap out. You could kick ad kick but it will never start, pull start her and she fires up runs for a while and does the same thing. Pull the plug and no spark let it sit for a while and it would have just the slightest spark and you could get home most of the time. Still she is a great little ride and I enjoy having it but I would let her go for another tecate.

Huffa
05-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Hmmmm, sounds like the stator assmbly to me. With a faulty wire connection in them they heat up, don't work - lose spark...........cool down and work again.

Ever replace that?

83185s
05-18-2005, 09:14 PM
to bad honda dont got something like that..that would be cool! or yamaha or suzuki or polaris...but mostly honda..i think the new honda people are too far stuck up there own ass to bring back the past...anyone else agree? they are to obsessed with the new quads and who can build a bigger more reliable one

KayodicWeazel
05-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Both the 3 and 4 wheeled Tecates look friggin hot. I love that angular plastic, and the swoopy plastic every quad comes with nowadays sorta makes me wish we had a "back the the 80's" fad.

90nut
05-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Huffa, I have now replaced all electrical parts on the 200x. I am now working on putting the trans back together. HOpefully it will be done for trikefest or else I will just be forced to ride my T3, darn it.

Huffa
05-22-2005, 12:26 AM
That's one thing I never did, is a trans. When I see some pic's of the gears laying sprawled all about, how the heck do you guys remember where they go?

I mean even if you have a manual they all sort of look the same in the parts diagram, don't they?

Isn't that a job that requires extreme care of making sure they are in order when taking apart?

Howdy
05-22-2005, 09:35 AM
That's one thing I never did, is a trans. When I see some pic's of the gears laying sprawled all about, how the heck do you guys remember where they go?

I mean even if you have a manual they all sort of look the same in the parts diagram, don't they?

Isn't that a job that requires extreme care of making sure they are in order when taking apart?

The transmissions are not for the weak of commitment. I don't care who it is doing them they require you to have mechanical ability, lots of patients, fair to good organization, impeckable memory, the ability to notice missing or bad parts, and for some people a diagram. I also think they require extreme care also. Even with all the above you might not get it on the first attempt. Not all the gears, washers, pins or shafts look the same, BUT some do. They can be very tricky some times.
Bottom line is if you are lacking any of the skills listed above I advise to not tear into the tranny. Instead try and watch someone else do it for you ( if possible ).
Howdy

jenndnn3
05-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Come on over I will show you how anal a tranny can be. Even then, The picts lie.