PDA

View Full Version : wow! pulls hard.

80'427
05-16-2005, 10:27 PM
I bought a fmf pipe and silencer off ebay the other day. Got it put on and it did pull harder but not that great. I pulled the plug and it was black. It has been rich since I bought it even with the stock pipe. I was going to change it to the richer jet fmf suggested but it was already rich. So I thought maybe it was choked for air and pulled the airbox lid. Man I could tell when I started it, that it was a different machine. No more hessitation or anything. It pulls way harder. I think I am going to loose the box lid except when riding in the water or rain. Plus it still has the factory air cleaner.

MO350X
05-16-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm toying with the idea myself and am about "this close" to splurging and getting one.

You get the best of both worlds:
Great breathing AND filtration

Here is where I found them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4534535812&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The price seems fair, don't you think?

x.system
05-16-2005, 10:57 PM
I bought a fmf pipe and silencer off ebay the other day. Got it put on and it did pull harder but not that great. I pulled the plug and it was black. It has been rich since I bought it even with the stock pipe. I was going to change it to the richer jet fmf suggested but it was already rich. So I thought maybe it was choked for air and pulled the airbox lid. Man I could tell when I started it, that it was a different machine. No more hessitation or anything. It pulls way harder. I think I am going to loose the box lid except when riding in the water or rain. Plus it still has the factory air cleaner.

Better do a couple plug chops now to make sure its not to lean. It will run awsome and crisp when its lean so beware.

x.system
05-16-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm toying with the idea myself and am about "this close" to splurging and getting one.

You get the best of both worlds:
Great breathing AND filtration

Here is where I found them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4534535812&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Magic racing has the outerwares cover but I'm not sure how it attaches for $19.95.

http://www.magicracing.com/product.asp?itemid=523&catid=256

80'427
05-16-2005, 11:17 PM
I'll check it again cause that was my first ride this way but hard to belive it would go from coal black to nice and tan just by removing the airbox cover. I will put in a new plug and check it out.

x.system
05-16-2005, 11:28 PM
I'll check it again cause that was my first ride this way but hard to belive it would go from coal black to nice and tan just by removing the airbox cover. I will put in a new plug and check it out.

You would be surprized how big a change it will make. I was running a 170 main this weekend and it was rich so I dropped to a 168 and it was still rich. I pulled the airbox cover and my plug went from rich to way to lean, my plug was almost pure white with a little tan in it. I had to go back up to a 175 to get some color to it. Clean your filter often to. I clean mine after every ride so it doesn't mess with the jetting to much.

80'427
05-16-2005, 11:43 PM
What kinda filter? I had a uni on my 86 200x cause it was all I could get. But now this 250r you can get half a dozen or more brands. I have always be kinda a k&n fan but lately have been hearing they may be a bit too free flowing and allow a bit more dirt than is acceptable.

x.system
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
I run foam on most of my bikes, I think its just easyer to clean than a k&n.

AZ250R
05-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm toying with the idea myself and am about "this close" to splurging and getting one.Here is where I found them:
I've wanted one of those for a few years now. Would like to have a spare lid to change back to if need also. It's a great idea, however, I have seen them go for more like $40 shipped before... $56 shipped seems kinda high for what it really consists of!?!? :mad:

MO350X
05-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I've wanted one of those for a few years now. Would like to have a spare lid to change back to if need also. It's a great idea, however, I have seen them go for more like $40 shipped before... $56 shipped seems kinda high for what it really consists of!?!? :mad:

You'll have to admit, it is pretty nice.
I think of it this way:
A new lid with a nice aluminum ring/retainer and a new piece of outerwears.
Not your run-of-the-mill piece of pantyhose stretched over the air box. :p

I believe that $20+shipping version (for the TRX...I didn't see any ATC listed) is an elastic-surrounded piece of outerwears if memory serves me right.

To heck with it....just raid the old lady's pantyhose drawer, grab a pair of knee highs, remove your air box lid, install knee highs. :D

AZ250R
05-18-2005, 04:56 PM
You'll have to admit, it is pretty nice.

To heck with it....just raid the old lady's pantyhose drawer, grab a pair of knee highs, remove your air box lid, install knee highs. :D
& I thought the "old hoes" were only good for "straining Bong watter"! ;)

I'm gonna flip for the bolt on outerwears lid box mod, soon. Just as soon as I get a spare box lid! :D