PDA

View Full Version : My Z is almost ready for Haspin (pics)

Billy Golightly
05-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Firstly, those fenders are NOT new ones. LonesomeTri-Z and his fiance were up here over the weekend while we worked on putting a hitch in Louis' truck to pull a trailer up to Trikefest. While we were working on that Melissa scraped the fenders on my Z, and man did they turn out awesome. They look like brand new ones, unbeleivable. I did not have any clue that nice of a yellow was underneath that nasty ass sun faded brown that use to be there. I wish I could learned about this earlier, Its gonna be something I do to everything from now on. To catch up on the Z a little bit, I'll go through what I've done to it in the last year or so since TF04.

Right after I got back from TF04, I bought a used Durablue +4 axle from a YFZ450 that had been bent and re-straightened for a killer deal of $75. It even came in the original durablue box with the packaging, lock nut and everything. Dude was upgrading to an RPM and had no use for the Durablue. After making it fit (Some mods, however nothing really drastic) I had myself a +4 axle on the rear end which was very nice. Next thing was getting my front brakes working. I'm also using a YFZ450 front mastercylinder (and, haha) a 350X front brake line at the moment. Stock Z caliper on the disc, no real mods there. Works really good. Next up is changing the front tire, I took off the old 25incher and had been planning on replacing it with a stock 86Z dunlop (23.5) from Tires unlimited when I learned they had been discontinued and all their stock was gone, so I went with a Carlisle 489, which is an agressive front tire but it works very good, It bites good and I like it alot.

While the front wheel was off I replaced my old rusted up forks with some ones I got from mikefromlongisland off of ebay, replaced the seals (which are now leaking again, cheap pos), put in progressive springs with spacers along with Belray 15wt fork oil. Put all that back in there and together. So much better of a ride in front. Its very stiff now, which is what it needs for my fat ass. I also replaced the torn and battered seat cover with a brand new Ceet brand one from Dennis Kirk. Next up a week ago or so now I bought another Z engine from Jim (Firecat) when he was parting his out along with some other stuff like a front fender, some wiring garb, and headlight bulbs and plugs. 4th gear was out in my old motor, and I did not have enough time to tear into it and re-do it plus work on the 500R between now and haspin so I opted for the easy fix. Which was, a whole new engine :D

And most recently, I got a CGR stainless bolt kit from Marco (Hagen, Greenboy) along with one of his bad ass aluminum stator covers. Pure work of art I tell ya, awesome stuff. So thats all for now, I'm fighting a fuel pump problem which I will maybe try to look at more carefully tomorrow. I got 3/4 of a tank and no fuel coming to the carb...either a hose has come off or the diaphram is bad or something. A few other things I want to do before haspin is a twist throttle, and hopefully new grips. The ones on the left side are worn down to the handlebar haha.

Billy Golightly
05-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Just the last pictures. Close up of the stator cover and of my axle setup.

Yamahauler
05-16-2005, 08:17 PM
That's a nice looking bike, where can you get a twist throttle for a Z?

Billy Golightly
05-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Probably just get a tube and stuff out of DK or somewheres and then get the cable made at Terry Cable.

BIGCRIP28
05-16-2005, 08:29 PM
looks gud, especially that stator cover. :D

Trikeaholic
05-16-2005, 08:39 PM
WOW, looks better than that old turd you were riding last year (even though you smoked my sweet looking R on it! LOL) So, the tires are all gone?? Glad I got mine so early then.

Wickedfinger
05-16-2005, 08:47 PM
That stator cover is gorgeous.

Billy Golightly
05-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Hahaha thanks holic, even though its still a turd I just got it polished up a little bit :p The tires are indeed gone, and when I found out I asked the guy and he said they had a limited stock of them until recently but that they had been discontinued for about 2 years.

So whats the story on your Z holic, is it gonna make it? How about the tiger?

Oldshell4481
05-16-2005, 09:05 PM
i like the simple look to it, i like how it doesnt look overdone.

twgranger
05-16-2005, 09:43 PM
WOW, looks better than that old turd you were riding last year (even though you smoked my sweet looking R on it! LOL) So, the tires are all gone?? Glad I got mine so early then.You guys are looking in the wrong place for them oem 23 inch tires.

Billy Golightly
05-16-2005, 09:59 PM
You guys are looking in the wrong place for them oem 23 inch tires.

Well common, cough it up man!

kilabeez0
05-16-2005, 10:42 PM
what do * mean scraped down the fenders? and those 18" turf tamers are making me think twice about getting them, i thought tamers had a more square profile?

LonesomeTriZ
05-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Damn that thing shines now. I am glad you like it.

Stand down on the twist throttle for now. Wait and see what the twist throttle fair brings you. :D

I just might know how to set it up. ;)

Billy Golightly
05-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Those are turf tamers, but their not turf tamers per say. They are an off-brand design of Turf Tamers. At the time I bought them, 2 days before TF last year it was the only decent 18in tire I could find around here locally in town, so its what I went with. The REAL Titan turf tamers are a flat and squared off profile.

Jeb
05-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Looking good Billy! Those turf tamers make your Z look very familiar! :beer :p

I'm glad i got my 86 Z Tire. I know when I got mine the guy at Tires Unlimited said he had two left in stock.

I did my fenders the same way. Scraped off the scale then buffed them with 0000 steel wool and then an old bath towel. worked pretty good on my front fender and shrouds. Isn't it funny how if there was a decal on the plastic and you remove the scale, the decal leaves a raised area? :eek: Anyway your Z is looking good!

Yamahondaman
05-17-2005, 10:22 AM
LOOK'S Cool Billy !! What kinda pipe is that ? Hey Ranger .. 23" Front Tire Location ?...i like that Cover !! How much was it ? .. mine was 100.00 Bucs two years ago..HOLLARRRRRRRRRR

Yamahondaman
05-17-2005, 10:24 AM
OOPs ...my Bad .....i saw it ...LRD

Billy Golightly
05-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Jeb, all you need now is an axle setup like mine and you'd have one very nice flat track Z. Wish I could find a yellow numberplate and gravity feed tank. Might make a tank one of these days.

Yup Ronnie thats the LRD. Last one the guy made. Said he was throwing the jig away after that. Its actually an inframe drag pipe, but its still got a good lowend feeling. I've only ever ran it and stock before so I dont have a whole lot to compare it to. I'd like to find a nice lowend pipe since its mostly used in the woods and for some track riding now and then. The LRD is so big right around the shifter area the tip of your boot rubs on it all the time when your shifting. Also had to trim the front fender to keep it from rubbing where it curls and makes the turn out of the engine back around. Eventually I'd like to find a nice lowend pipe and get an aftermarket rear shock for it. Maybe I can do that after TF is over and I tear the whole thing down for powder coating. I got a special hookup on the stator cover, but I know he can make some more and can probably bring it with him to Haspin.

Jeb
05-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeah, someday I'd like to go with an axle like that. I'd also love to have a Hoosier Tri-Trac front Tire. Buy another set of forks to lower internally with an R front hub so I could run the 11" Tri-Trac front, should I ever find one. Maybe those front tires were for 10" rims? Anyway I've got a set of old Hoosier rear Tri-Tracs for 10" rear rims. But man, they are weather cracked terribly. Never hurts to dream. What's sad is I've been dreaming of the same stuff for 20 years! :eek:

I like the rear tire size on yours. I got the 11" wide turf tamers. kinda wish I'd have gone with the 9.5 wides for a little more slideability.

Are shrouds in your future? :Bounce

Billy Golightly
05-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Yeah, hopefully get some shrouds sometime soon. I haven't seen a pair of yellow ones on ebay in a while though.

Derrick Adams
05-17-2005, 05:21 PM
I got some yellow shrouds for ya bro. PM me your address and i'll ship `em down to ya.
Probably in about the same shape as the rest of your plastic, sun faded but better than nothing!

kilabeez0
05-17-2005, 08:22 PM
what do * mean scraped down the fenders? and those 18" turf tamers are making me think twice about getting them, i thought tamers had a more square profile?
how do you scrape them down? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Billy Golightly
05-17-2005, 08:43 PM
razor blade and gasket scraper, putty knife. Just start on a small part and you'll get the hang of it. Its actually pretty easy. Just dont take a whole lot off at one time. Do lots of light scrapes.

kilabeez0
05-17-2005, 08:47 PM
omg, that must take forever???

Billy Golightly
05-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Nope, way quicker then sanding them.