PDA

View Full Version : honda 250sx no spark

x-script
05-15-2005, 12:40 PM
i just bought a 250sx its missing the engine start switch , the run stop switch , its got good compresion ...but i cant see any spark , is there anyway of kick starting it with out the run/stop switch , or a battery , the ppl who owned it cut the wires cause they lost the key tried to put a new key on ...but gave up

Maine_Triker
05-15-2005, 01:38 PM
With all thta has happened to your wireing, I would say that is the problem. Check all your connections.

Phil

x-script
05-15-2005, 02:48 PM
is there any way i can bypass all the wiring and have it kickstart and a kill engine switch and if so ..how

ATCnut
05-15-2005, 02:58 PM
The kill switch shorts out the ignition. There was a green wire (ground) and a black with white stripe wire that went to both the key switch, and the handlebar switch. make sure that the are not connected together. Then you should have spark. Connecting the black with white stripe wire to the green wire (ground) will kill the motor. The black with white stripe wire goes to the CDI.

x-script
05-15-2005, 04:33 PM
none of the wires are coneccted , i just hooked the battery up and tried to connect wire to start , tapped the starter and it clicked on and stays on but just turnning but still have no spark from the plug , is there anyway to tell if the CDI is bad , or a way to bypass cause i think it might have something wrong with it

ATCnut
05-15-2005, 06:21 PM
I just remembered, the other thing about the sx and the es (big red) is that they need the ground from the neutral switch to start. You need to make sure that the wire is connected to the switch, and the switch is working. The switch is under a little cover low down on the right hand side (facing forward) of the motor. Kinda behiend the brake pedal. To work around this, you need to ground the light green with red stripe wire that is going to the CDI.

I wish Honda had not put this safety interlock on the trikes, it makes it a PITA.

x-script
05-15-2005, 09:33 PM
thanks so much ...another quick question. on your 250sx the kickstart does it slip alot
it will kick the motor over a few turns and then just sound like a ratchet a few turns ...i just found that odd

200xman
05-15-2005, 09:51 PM
If you need it I have a complete harness for sale. $55 shipped.

ATCnut
05-15-2005, 10:07 PM
The kicker slipping is a common thing. It has to do with the one way clutch. There was a good write up about it here or at .org (I don't remember where). My first sx does that so bad you cannot use the kicker anymore, just the electric start. That motor is really sad, I have a replacement under the bench, just have to put it in.

Did you get it started yet?

x-script
05-15-2005, 10:25 PM
nope still cant get any spark and the starter engages on it on and stays on constantly but it don't sound like its turnin the motor

ANGELL
08-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks a million to ATCnut, your responses brought a end to 4 hour session of me and my buddy trying to get me 250 to start when it had no spark, the green and white and black were wore and touching. Next time "I'll just check here first :lol:

ATCnut
08-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Glad I could help

zoomerman
08-12-2006, 12:07 AM
this might help you out a bit

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/ATC250SXx85.jpg

double check all of the wires and connections