PDA

View Full Version : 15 tooth front sprocket on a 250R?

Blown 331
05-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Will it fit? I'm thinking it might be too big. What happens if the chain falls off? Am I asking for trouble by wanting to do this? I hear going up one tooth in the front is the same as dropping 3 in the rear. If this is the case I will have to drop 6 in the back and shorten the chain. I think with the 15 on front I can use the same chain and always switch back if I don't like it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4549374386&category=43982&sspagename=WDVW

EDIT: The ebay link is an example of what I am talking about, it has nothing to do with the fact that it is an ebay auction so I think it belongs here.

cool_racer
05-14-2005, 10:41 AM
dropping 3 in rear is similar to 1 in front. with your adjustment you can most likely put the 15 on w/o shortening the chain.

Huffa
05-14-2005, 11:38 AM
A 15 toother is actually better for the chain anyway.

It makes the chain go around in a slightly less arc and helps keep it farther away from the swingarm buffer on most moderls.

I'd never go smaller on the front for those reasons. I'd rather go more on the back.

Just a case of knowing how large the sprocket is towards the stock one in reguard to case clearence. You could always call supplier and ask to measure, that's what I would do anyway instead of having to send it back.

TRI Z Racer
05-14-2005, 12:20 PM
dont forget, you probably know this but just in case, if you just put a bigger front sprocket on and leave the rear the same, you loose your low end and will be using the clutch alot more for starting and going real slow.

r00sty
05-14-2005, 12:27 PM
It also takes quite a bit more of your power to turn the larger front sprocket.
I noticed a little at the top end on my 250r when I went up a tooth, but it seemed to take longer to get there.
I just got a 14 for the x and am going to install it today and see if I like it.
CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP at Rocky Mountain ATV like less than $10, fyi.

Blown 331
05-14-2005, 12:29 PM
dont forget, you probably know this but just in case, if you just put a bigger front sprocket on and leave the rear the same, you loose your low end and will be using the clutch alot more for starting and going real slow.

Yeah, I'm kinda of in the opposite direction right now. I have 18's on back and it's too low for my liking. The 4-wheeler I have is geared really high and I'm used to that and I like it. I never use first gear on my 250R while riding.
It has also been suggested that my bike will be quicker if I gear it up. I know that doesn't make sense but I've seen that happen so that's why I want to try this. Example my 450R has better accelleration with the stock 14 tooth rather than a CRF sprocket which is a 13. Lost of people have found this out. I just talked to my cousin and he has a 15 tooth and a 16 tooth for a 400EX. I'm not sure they are the same but I'm gonna try the 15 out when I get off work.

x.system
05-14-2005, 12:37 PM
A 15 fits easy but you have no case protection. I'm running 15 front 37 rear on the trx and am getting a 16 front then I will have every available sprocket for front and rear.

TRI Z Racer
05-14-2005, 12:42 PM
i didnt think about the rear tire sizes, with 18's your def gonna have to go up on the front spocket, or down on the back, fronts are cheaper and achieve more of a change 1tooth = 3 teeth. sounds like you got it under control

Blown 331
05-14-2005, 12:43 PM
A 15 fits easy but you have no case protection. I'm running 15 front 37 rear on the trx and am getting a 16 front then I will have every available sprocket for front and rear.

Can I keep my stock case saver and sprocket cover? I don't want to have to leave the sprocket cover off.

cool_racer
05-14-2005, 01:10 PM
i wouldent be concerned about the sproket cover, more so the case saver

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-14-2005, 01:13 PM
It also takes quite a bit more of your power to turn the larger front sprocket.
I noticed a little at the top end on my 250r when I went up a tooth, but it seemed to take longer to get there.
I just got a 14 for the x and am going to install it today and see if I like it.
CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP at Rocky Mountain ATV like less than $10, fyi.

I like the 14 toother on my 350. It still has enough power to climb the rough stuff, and lift the frontend up, but it has that extra speed on straightaways. I'm geared 14/40 with 22"s.

About the R 15 tooth, you cant run the case saver with it.

Blown 331
05-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Case saver won't work huh? I don't really like that. Just wondering what the stock gearing on a 350X is? You have 22's and I have 18's that a big difference in gearing right there.

Anyone know if I can run the case saver and sprocket cover with a 14 tooth? If so I'm gonna get one of those and just drop teeth in the rear if I need more. I still have the stock rims and tires maybe I should put those back on too? I really like the 18's though.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Case saver won't work huh? I don't really like that. Just wondering what the stock gearing on a 350X is? You have 22's and I have 18's that a big difference in gearing right there.

Anyone know if I can run the case saver and sprocket cover with a 14 tooth? If so I'm gonna get one of those and just drop teeth in the rear if I need more. I still have the stock rims and tires maybe I should put those back on too? I really like the 18's though.

stock gearing on a 350x is 13/40 with 22" balloon type tires.

Not sure if the 14 tooth will work with the case saver on a R, I know it does on the 350.

x.system
05-14-2005, 01:58 PM

Yes, 14 and a aftermarket case saver will work but 14 is as big as you can go and still use one. There is only about a 1/4" between the case and chain with a 15 tooth. I had to do it for top speed on ice but racing TT I droped back down to a 14 with a case saver.

350x'inNY
05-14-2005, 02:43 PM
My 82R had a 15 tooth on it when I got it. Holic gave me a front sprocket cover and it wouldn't fit. I went back to the stock 13 tooth and mut the cover/saver on it. I can definitely feel the difference!

Bruce

AZ250R
05-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Anyone know if I can run the case saver and sprocket cover with a 14 tooth?
YES, that works. My trike had that setup on it when I bought it.