PDA

View Full Version : 225 Airbox & filter

Huffa
05-14-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm working on the air box of the 225. What a pain to clean the inside of it!

Also noticed Yamaha didn't bother to put another mount nut on top of left rear and only the rear right & front. 2 out of the 3 - 225's I have, the right ones are busted.

I figured out how to repair (simple, no big deal fix) them and also make a mount (no big deal either) on left so it will be a 3 point mount system then. No welding required either.

Man, I keep noticing things L & R that they seem to skimp on reguarding little details.

The airbox rear cap should have been designed with hold down clips too. Instead of 5 seconds to undo you have to unsrew 4 screws. They could have (just thought of this) EASILY designed the airbox cap so it protrudes out in the middle and have a clip that just rotates over it and locks in. Would have been less expensive to make too I'll bet!

I don't know how other Yamahas are but this seems a crap set up. I guess I'm just used to my 200X & 250X airbox where you could see the whole (well, most of it) filter so easy and just flick the latches to inspect.

Is it correct that the filter wraps around the lip of screen cage then relies on the airbox cap to put pressure on it for a good seal once tightened down?

I need filters also and only came across the stock ones and these Uni- filters http://search-desc.ebay.com/Yamaha-ytm-225-air-filter_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1QQftsZ2QQxpufuZxQ5A1

Any other brands out there or that's about it? I need 3 of them.

350x'inNY
05-14-2005, 09:05 AM
yes.. they can get a bit dirty and are a pain to inspect. Think Yamaha was really designing a mouse trap! hahhaaha All of my extea airboxes were all similar to this one!

I bought UNI filters cheaper at an ebay store "3 and 4 wheeler parts", bikerchickunld or something is the ebay ID. If you can't find it, I'll look more closely.

Bruce

chris200x
05-14-2005, 09:22 AM
It's the 3 and 4 wheeler shop or bikerchicksltd on ebay. I've bought many parts off them. Superfast shippers to.

I can tell by your posts Gary that your still a honda man deep down inside. lol

chris200x
05-14-2005, 09:31 AM
i just checked for you on ebay. That store mentioned above only has wheel bearings and steering stem bearings for the 225. I didn't see any filters for the yamaha. I got my uni from them a while back so I know they did have them.

Huffa
05-14-2005, 09:35 AM
It's the 3 and 4 wheeler shop or bikerchicksltd on ebay. I've bought many parts off them. Superfast shippers to.

I can tell by your posts Gary that your still a honda man deep down inside. lol

Yea, I always will be a Honda man even though I don't own one, well a trike that is.

Huffa
05-14-2005, 09:40 AM
i just checked for you on ebay. That store mentioned above only has wheel bearings and steering stem bearings for the 225. I didn't see any filters for the yamaha. I got my uni from them a while back so I know they did have them.

I'm confused as that is a direct link to the 225 filters. " Yamaha Atv YTM 225 DX Tri Moto UNI Air Filter
$16.95
Buy It Now G&H Discount Atv Supply "

I have another idea but this is debatable if it will work better or worse?

In this link there are air box vents which are nice to leave more air flow in.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00005427

With the way they get their air flow from the front frame tube and directing it to the air box these may have the opposite effect and the air filter may get LESS air !

With the airbox enclosed the air gets forced into the filter where with these vents it may leave some air just "pass on by".

What do you guys think?

I think I will try 2 and can always put plastic caps in place of the vent mesh to block it off if it seems I get less performance. Down at idle and low end is where I should notice it most I would think.

I'm sure I'll get a bit more intake noise too.

Guess you can run them with the rear lid off too and see what effect that has. Wait a minute, I CAN'T :rolleyes: do that! That's what holds the filter in place.

chris200x
05-14-2005, 09:49 AM
I've never seen those things... That's pretty cool I think. I've considered cutting a hole or slits in my air box lid but was always afraid because of the dirty and muddy conditions I will be riding in. Those would filter before the filter so I think it would work out good. I just may get those myself.

I have that 3 and 4 wheeler shop added to my favorite sellers in my ebay. they carry alot more Honda parts then yamaha that's for sure. I think I paid $16 for the filter I bought (uni)

Huffa
05-14-2005, 09:57 AM
I've never seen those things... That's pretty cool I think. I've considered cutting a hole or slits in my air box lid but was always afraid because of the dirty and muddy conditions I will be riding in. Those would filter before the filter so I think it would work out good. I just may get those myself.

I have that 3 and 4 wheeler shop added to my favorite sellers in my ebay. they carry alot more Honda parts then yamaha that's for sure. I think I paid $16 for the filter I bought (uni)

You like them, huh? They have been out for years. I like that you can oil the vent foam in them keeping the dirt - water out. Makes a real nice sayno job too instead of just cutting holes in it.

I even see an improvement they could do for those also. Make a lid to plug on outside when power washing so water isn't forced through at all.

I guess if they are reachable and easily removeable you could just stuff a cork in the hole for power washing but depending the loacation of them you may not even have to worry about this minor detail.

For sure I'm going to get 2 myself.

Huffa
05-14-2005, 10:05 AM
yes.. they can get a bit dirty and are a pain to inspect. Think Yamaha was really designing a mouse trap! hahhaaha All of my extea airboxes were all similar to this one!

I bought UNI filters cheaper at an ebay store "3 and 4 wheeler parts", bikerchickunld or something is the ebay ID. If you can't find it, I'll look more closely.

Bruce

Mouse trap - excellent description! I just wonder where their heads are at when designing these things? I mean some times in minutes I can think of a better way!..........and they have a team designing these parts! :rolleyes:

Man :rolleyes: my air boxes weren't that bad but the one has a pond of oil in it at bottom.

The guy waaaaaay overfilled the motor and I guess it's pushing through the breather. Filter was drenched in oil. I certainly didn't ride the thing or even start it with it being like that. Must have been running way rich for sure.

:Bounce Stay tuned for 225 # 4 that I found. Not for me though and not a positive thing but should know by this afternoon or evening sometime. "Seems" like a very good deal.

350x'inNY
05-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Mouse trap - excellent description! I just wonder where their heads are at when designing these things? I mean some times in minutes I can think of a better way!..........and they have a team designing these parts! :rolleyes:

Man :rolleyes: my air boxes weren't that bad but the one has a pond of oil in it at bottom.

The guy waaaaaay overfilled the motor and I guess it's pushing through the breather. Filter was drenched in oil. I certainly didn't ride the thing or even start it with it being like that. Must have been running way rich for sure.

:Bounce Stay tuned for 225 # 4 that I found. Not for me though and not a positive thing but should know by this afternoon or evening sometime. "Seems" like a very good deal.

Well... I went over to Bigred200's place today to see the 2 Honda's he bought down the road to help ID them. On the way back, I saw a YTM225DRS in a guys lean-to. Don't see many of the special edition black 225DXs! Huffa... who needed the 200S frame? Bigred200 has a couple of them.. a 84 and a 83 I think....

Bruce

Huffa
05-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Well... I went over to Bigred200's place today to see the 2 Honda's he bought down the road to help ID them. On the way back, I saw a YTM225DRS in a guys lean-to. Don't see many of the special edition black 225DXs! Huffa... who needed the 200S frame? Bigred200 has a couple of them.. a 84 and a 83 I think....

Bruce

MX600 wants one FOR SURE !!! His will do for now - in fact he just painted it (lookin nice!) but wants another one to powder coat in the future.

I'd appreciate if you ask how much and what shape it's in.

600's was all rusted out BIG TIME where the front of rear skid plate mounts but has repaired it.

350x'inNY
05-14-2005, 03:26 PM
MX600 wants one FOR SURE !!! His will do for now - in fact he just painted it (lookin nice!) but wants another one to powder coat in the future.

I'd appreciate if you ask how much and what shape it's in.

600's was all rusted out BIG TIME where the front of rear skid plate mounts but has repaired it.

Will do.... I'll even stop and check out the Yamaha! OOOooorrrrrrr... maybe you'll get up here one of these years! :D

Huffa
05-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Oh yea , sorry, I forgot that quick you metioned the 225.

YEA, stop and check it out for sure! :beer

Here I go again. :rolleyes: Might be making a NY rondavue next saturday for numerous parts. Your on my list .......the last stop.

Hope I do what I preach this time!

Mike_Ham_250R
05-14-2005, 03:47 PM
I knew you would have fun with that airbox lmao

Huffa
05-14-2005, 04:08 PM
That's the box on my 1st one. Poor "Rudy" won't get any attention for a while now. :cry:

BTW........who is Rudy?

I'm going to keep that name for it too!

chris200x
05-14-2005, 04:14 PM
That's the box on my 1st one. Poor "Rudy" won't get any attention for a while now. :cry:

BTW........who is Rudy?

I'm going to keep that name for it too!

Didn't he play football for Notre Dame? lol I like that better than GOGO? :D

350x'inNY
05-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Didn't he play football for Notre Dame? lol I like that better than GOGO? :D

Anything is better than "Moneypit"... :p When you going to step up and ride with the big dawgs? :D

chris200x
05-14-2005, 09:34 PM
I thought that would get your attention. :D I should be ready to go in a few short weeks.

I would of used some other words in my signature to explain my ride but there are kids on this forum. lol