PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil

yamahaman89
05-11-2005, 05:58 PM
What does it do? How is it good for your trike?

TRI Z Racer
05-11-2005, 06:12 PM
same as all other oils, it provides lubrication for moving parts. its avaialble in pretty much everything from synthetic brake fluid to synthetic gear oil. they make a synthetic motor oil, a common one is Mobil1. they also make synthetic 2 stroke oils, such as amsoil, klotz, blue marbel. The advantages of it are it increased lubricity, it supposedly will lubricate just as well as conventional oils in a wider range of harsh conditions. There will be people who swear by the 99 cents a quart stuff and there will be people who swear by the 6 dollar a quart stuff. I personally believe it boils down to what you have confidence in. If you cant trust your oil you are in trouble.
hope that helps

Huffa
05-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Not good for a wet clutch which is what all ATC's have. Too slippery. Will soak into the clutch plates and cause them to slip.

There are some synthetics that can be used but these are ones that state it's OK for clutch and are specificly for motorcycles.

yamahaman89
05-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Does that oil that supposedly puts something in the piston during start up work.

BIGCRIP28
05-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Not good for a wet clutch which is what all ATC's have. Too slippery. Will soak into the clutch plates and cause them to slip.

There are some synthetics that can be used but these are ones that state it's OK for clutch and are specificly for motorcycles.

some of them will work. (i know one of the belrays is synthetic and can be used on wet clutches.)

stevo3176
05-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Just get the stuff withoout friction modifiers like mobil red cap. I only use it in my 400ex and trhe clutches have never skipped a beat.

TravEX
05-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Just get the stuff withoout friction modifiers like mobil red cap. I only use it in my 400ex and trhe clutches have never skipped a beat.

ditto, me too,,,

MTS
05-11-2005, 10:11 PM
iv used Ams oil synthtic in my 200 and havent had a problem

bigredhead
05-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Had amsoil in my SX.. slipped and grinded like a mofo between 3-2-1... and 2-3, flushed it with about 4 oil changes to finally end up on honda oil and it works much better now... don't burn barely any oil.. and seems to effect the way it revvs out in 5th.. not as rough.

my 0.02

TimSr
05-11-2005, 11:05 PM
same as all other oils, it provides lubrication for moving parts. its avaialble in pretty much everything from synthetic brake fluid to synthetic gear oil. they make a synthetic motor oil, a common one is Mobil1. they also make synthetic 2 stroke oils, such as amsoil, klotz, blue marbel. The advantages of it are it increased lubricity, it supposedly will lubricate just as well as conventional oils in a wider range of harsh conditions. There will be people who swear by the 99 cents a quart stuff and there will be people who swear by the 6 dollar a quart stuff. I personally believe it boils down to what you have confidence in. If you cant trust your oil you are in trouble.
hope that helps

Well said.

Great for a wet clutch as far as Im concerned, and I wouldnt run anything else in a 4 stroke.

HRC1
05-12-2005, 01:49 AM
ditto, me too,,,
Me three! Wouldnt run anything but synthetic in my atc's.