PDA

View Full Version : How to jump

Kintore
05-09-2005, 03:44 PM
I have noticed that when people are jumping they have there weight back on the seat or around the middle of the seat. I am planning a trip to my buddys mx track with 5 singles, 1 double and a few tabletops. Any tips or suggestions for me or any other board members on how not to die when jumping? I just would like some advice/help on this, I know some guys still race them.

thanks alot,
-the tri-Z could use a workout. :w00t:

(not jumping is not a option lol) :D

chris200x
05-09-2005, 03:57 PM
I would suggest taking it slow at first. Until you get the feel for it. Stand up and lean back a little. Whatever you do don't lean forward. lol I have heard but never tried that if you start rolling forward in the air that applying your rear brakes should straighten you out some. Maybe someone can add to that.

ATC crazy
05-09-2005, 04:00 PM
I have heard but never tried that if you start rolling forward in the air that applying your rear brakes should straighten you out some. Maybe someone can add to that.

Actually, You use your rear brake if the front end starts to rise. If you start rolling forward, punch the throttle and it should bring the front end up more level.

Tri-ZNate
05-09-2005, 04:05 PM
When I jump my SX I sit near the tank for a level landing or if I'm sitting normal I end up standing when I am in the air and the rear end hits first. For a tri-z I would think you would want to sit closer to the front.

Oldshell4481
05-09-2005, 05:30 PM
when i used to jump my 4 wheeler i would punch it at the end of the jump and it would launch it, and make sure my rear lands a tiny bit before my front does. i shift my weight to the back when i launch, and as soon as my rear end hit the ground i move forward. i always landed on a level surface though.

shudup
05-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Actually, You use your rear brake if the front end starts to rise. If you start rolling forward, punch the throttle and it should bring the front end up more level.

yep the stoping of the wheels pushs the front down and the movement of the crank speeding up makes the front come up ... or something like that :D

mad_max
05-12-2005, 05:46 PM
One thing I've found is that the air pressure in the tires can affect the jumping. If the air is uneven from side to side it may launch funny and too much air in the tires may affect the landing. Like was stated earlier, take it easy till you see how its going to act. I stay pretty much dead center on my SX and the landings are relatively flat. I dont like the rears landing too early, it makes the front drop quick and can throw you off.

Heres a pic...

jmack3986
05-12-2005, 06:49 PM
your best bet is to try what works for you. learn to jump a single then go to table tops and then try doubles but remember not to push your selve untill your ready. try that and dont be afriad to bail. when you bail trow the trike away from you so that way when you hit you can roll and not worry about it landing on you. i think knowing how to bail is the most important thing to know. it can safe you alot of injuries. trust me on this. here is a short story. i came up short on a sixty foot tripple if i wouldnt have seen that i didnt have the speed iknow i would have one a trip to the er. i threw the bike and was lucky enough to walk away with a scratch note i fell from a height of 30 foot. the landing was about 12 foot. but once i hit i rolled and it helped with the impact. just remeber when jumping dont be afraid to let go it could seriously hert you if you dont. i have been riding MX alot latley and each time i go out i push my limits. i have had some close calls and so far the worst injurrie is a broken thumb. things could have been worse

denn
05-13-2005, 08:40 AM
most importantly, if you are working up speed approaching the jump, when you get to the top of it don't get nervous and let off the throttle until you have left the jump. What will happen is by letting off you kill the foward momentum and send the bike into a nose dive. If that happens on a tabletop its not to bad but if you do it on a double I will guarantee a trip to the hospital. Your best bet is take it slow on the table top at first, that is the best jump to learn on. Landing will be a little harsh until you clear it. But when you finally make the down side you don't even feel it. Its like you never left. I have 3 tri-zs. My advice is kinda stand up a bit and keep a natural position. The Z is pretty well balanced in the air. i just get into an attack position like when you are going over bumps. You aren't standing but you are not sitting. Stay pretty much in the center of the bike. You don't have to sit on the air box. The gas tank in the back does not make the Z that rear heavy. Just remember not to hit the jump sitting down. If you do you will clear the jump before the bike does. Take a few slow pokes at it and you will get the feel for it. Its all going to come down to how you feel comfortable any advice should just be a baseline. Hope this helps and good luck.

Denn

X350X
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
i would start on the table top