PDA

View Full Version : tri z sprocket hub

redrider77x
05-08-2005, 06:54 PM
How do you remove the sprocket hub? does it just slide off, or is it threaded on?

CHAINSAW
05-08-2005, 07:48 PM
it slides on. A lot of guys have trouble with them if they havent been touched since new. I had to cut one off before because it wouldnt let go... even after it was cut in half, I had to then cut it in 1/4s because it was so stuck. Good luck getting it off...

Darius1502
05-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Yep very hard. Just don't ruin an axle trying to bang it off. I would consider using a hydralic press or taking it to a shop.

twgranger
05-09-2005, 07:18 PM
I must be lucky because mine slide right off.

Orangecnty250r
05-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Sounds like something to look forward to. I'll have to print this so I remember it when its time to do my tear down.

YAMAHA_Jim
05-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Every tri-z I have bought other than my red tri-z,,,The sprocket hub was frozen to the axle.On a tri-z(for those who dont know),this problem prevents one from taking the axle carrier and brake hub off the axle.
Take the axlecarrier off the swingarm,leave the wheels on. Stand the axle up on end with the sprocket facing up,Then get two 1/2 or 5/8 inch threaded rod,18 or 20 inches long.I slid the threaded rod through the space between the rim and wheel hub and down through the space between the sprocket and sprocket hub. Keep the rods straight,Then put big flat washers and nuts on each end and start tightening them down evenly; works like a cheap press.Tightening them too much will bend the rim hub and the sprocket and hub(i've done it before).After you get them torqued down, flip the axle over onto the wheel that has the rods. Then hammer easy on the sprocket hub,all the way around.If its not stuck too bad it should start too slide off the axle,then retighten the bolts and repeat.A good penetrating oil helps too,,and maybe even a little heat from a torch.If it still doesnt move,tighten the rods a lil more and try again.
I have a tri-z axle here that has a bent sprocket and hub stuck on it, and a bent rim and wheel hub from tightening the bolts too much.I was out of 4 letter words so I got a bit carried away and tightened down on it way hard and got a bigger hammer,lol. The sprocket is taco shaped and still attatched to the hub.I couldnt even get it off the axle by heating it up.That one will get cut off when i need the axle, carrier and brake hub.
Good Luck
If you need more help,I'll get some pics of the whole setup.