PDA

View Full Version : carb cleaning

Huffa
05-07-2005, 09:53 PM
On these old trikes the carbs can be outragously cruded up on the inside. The ones that set for years and years I'm referring to.

I soak mine in a gallon of super duper carb cleaner over night but when finished I noticed it didn't take the chalkie lime deposits away. They were also in the throat tubes were the main and pilot jets go.

What I did is went out and got some CRL which is a calcium, lime & rust remover. Soak it for 2 hours in the full strength solution and PRESTO....all gone!

Just thought I'd let ya all know.

Mike_Ham_250R
05-07-2005, 09:56 PM
yeah on my SX (from same guy as the YTM225) i just soaked it in a little carb cleaner and it went good

Oldshell4481
05-07-2005, 10:05 PM
hmm, guess i shoul clean my carb someday here,, i have no clue what it looks like inside, but i want to rebuild it anyway.. are 4 stroke carbs much different from 2 stroke carbs??

Huffa
05-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Well certain 4 strokes are a lot more complex. These are quite simple though. Study a diagram 1st before you go tearing into it. There are a couple o-rings that can easily be lost if your not aware where they are.

Dirtcrasher
05-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Excellant post, I never thought of using CLR on the older really bad carbs. Thanks for the tip!

leprogle
05-08-2005, 01:26 PM
i've got an old really bad 200x carb, and i've been soaking it in varsol, but it's not coming clean. thanks for the tip, i'm going to try CLR

wheelie king
05-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Also a commercial grade marine carburetor cleaner, like Mercury Power Tune, is excellent. Not the $1.00 cheap stuff from the auto parts store, you have to go to a marine/outboard shop. It is a foaming carb cleaner that really works wonders, and is not NEARLY as corrosive as CLR.

Kintore
05-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Mercury power tune eh? well I think I am going to try that. I was going to use CLR but if its corrosive, I dont know if I will.

MTS
05-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Excellant post, I never thought of using CLR on the older really bad carbs. Thanks for the tip!
me niether.....thanks man!

Huffa
05-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Also a commercial grade marine carburetor cleaner, like Mercury Power Tune, is excellent. Not the $1.00 cheap stuff from the auto parts store, you have to go to a marine/outboard shop. It is a foaming carb cleaner that really works wonders, and is not NEARLY as corrosive as CLR.

what I use is in a gallon can about $12-15 or so.

Corrosive?? CLR? Seemed to do a real nice job to me with out any side effects. I wouldn't use it 1st though. Use the strong stuff like you or I recommend and THEN if the lime doesn't go away try the CLR.

I will keep the Merc Power tune in mind though.

Thanks for the tip.

rob0781
05-18-2005, 03:50 AM
anyone try CLR yet???just curious if it rrally does work well with out any bad effects..

TRI Z Racer
05-19-2005, 03:02 AM
Merc powertune is made for 2 stoke outboards, you use it by spraying it into the intake under full throttle and for like 30 secs, then idle, then shut it off, and then full throttle agian. Or wahtever, there is some process outlined on it. It works great for its intended purpose, although i suspect there are much better things to use for cleaning carbs then that. My suggestion for cleaning a carb real good is to buy yourself a gallon of mckay carb dip, or NAPA stuff, its not too expensive and you can do dozens of carbs before you should replace it. In the long run its cheaper then buying a can or two of carb and choke cleaner every time you clean a carb. Heres what you do, drop your parts in, wait an hour or two, take them out, wash them off, blow out all passages with an air gun and spray off any remaining dirt, if any. voila. From working at a marina for the last 3 years ive seen some nasty salt water corroded carbs. i ahve found nothing better then this system. take it for what its worth