PDA

View Full Version : I need some case rapair advice...

BIGKAHUNA
01-31-2003, 04:06 PM
In a previous thread I posted pics of my 250R motor that has a damaged case. Some one suggested I have it repaired using a piece of old clutch basket. Can anyone give me a detailed explanation of how this is done? Or is there other methods other than the "clutch basket" that you like? Does the motor have to be torn down for the repair to be made? I am including a pic of the damaged area (chain guard/case saver). As always thanks for yalls help.

tony_250r
01-31-2003, 06:12 PM
In order to get a permanent seal, the case will need to be heli arc welded or mig wire fed welded on the outside and inside. That means that the case will need to be split. Not only that, but the oil on the inside wall of the case will be drawn out towards the outside when the case is heated, this will not allow the weld stick. You’ll be better off buying a new case and case saver in my opinion.

The left side case is notorious for being damaged. It normally happens because of a worn chain. The chain will brake or slip off the sprocket, that will enable the chain to continue on around and slap or rub the case. That’s what causes the cracks or leaks most of the time. That’s why some people use a case saver; NACS makes one of the best.
http://www.nexternal.com/nacs/images/CaseSavers_Large.gif

skippy
01-31-2003, 06:19 PM
yepp, motorcycle shops use old baskets to fix this regular problem,. the one near me charges around $55 to fix it.. they weld the basket fin to the bad area, grind, and retap.. so you can put a saver on it.. alot cheaper and easier then a new left case ($200 from service honda, plus seals, gaskets, bearings, tear down)...

tony_250r
01-31-2003, 06:34 PM
Hi skippy, could you post a link to a shop that repairs 250R cases the way you discribed? Thanks.

BLAZERONE22
02-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Does anyone make a casesaver for the 83-84 250rs ?

tony_250r
02-02-2003, 09:29 PM
ttt

BLAZERONE22
02-02-2003, 09:34 PM
How about a link, thanks