PDA

View Full Version : painting with gun and hardener vs powdercoat

vartiak15
05-04-2005, 10:05 PM
ok for the gun paint it will only cost me the paint(farm and fleet pain is cheep). does the paint from a gun with the added hardener hold up close to powder coat? i need to know asap

Trikeaholic
05-04-2005, 10:18 PM
I think paint is better, for what its worth...............

lonestar
05-04-2005, 10:18 PM
No Way, Powder coating is much more durable than paint.

Bender
05-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Powder coat is the way to go. You can smack powder coated metal with a hammer and it wont chip, and its gonna last forever. I totally agree with lonestar.
Pawder coating is kinda expensive though.

wanta86r
05-04-2005, 11:27 PM
I think paint is better, for what its worth...............
have you ever had aything powdercoated before?

Huffa
05-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Powder coat is the way to go. You can smack powder coated metal with a hammer and it wont chip, and its gonna last forever. I totally agree with lonestar.
Pawder coating is kinda expensive though.

You can actually do that and it won't chip?

Well I say then, if that's the case, go with the PC. In the long run it will pay itself off.

mymint87
05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
There are alot of good 2 component paints out there..some even able to withstand total salt water immersion...so don't be so quick to rule them out... powdercoating is a durable surface, but there is some issues with powdercoating as it pertains to color retention on particular deep colors...

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Pfffttt, Hammering Powdercoat wont chip? BS! I never get anything powdercoated for one reason.. .. I ride in the woods and I ride them hard. Powdercoating is awesome for show and dune bikes, and for people who have the extra money. But I paid $200 or so in powdercoating on my 84R only to find it needing it again after the first riding season, for $200 I could of bought a couple cases of high quality spray paint that would of lasted through a few paint jobs. I tear my stuff down after every season for repairs/tune up anyways.

If you plan on riding it hard, and getting scraped and bruised, dont waste your money. I love the looks of powdercoat, but I hated the sound of money falling in a pit everytime I scraped it.

Its paint.. It WILL chip and scrape. I'd love for you to post pictures (video even better) of hammering on powdercoat without it chipping or messing up.

cliff2302
05-05-2005, 12:16 AM
Thats the truth. Plus, once powdercoat chips, whats beneath it? Bare metal. In my mind, the best way to go would be to use some metal etch primer. That stuff is the best in my eyes. I workerd at a factory where they powdercoated most of their machines (vibrating screening machines for oil fields) and they would come back to get refurnished completely rusty. Like Lots of nothing said, powdercoating is great for show bikes, but for trail bikes, it really isn't as good as everyone thinks.

dizasterzrfun69
05-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Pfffttt, Hammering Powdercoat wont chip? BS! I never get anything powdercoated for one reason.. .. I ride in the woods and I ride them hard. Powdercoating is awesome for show and dune bikes, and for people who have the extra money. But I paid $200 or so in powdercoating on my 84R only to find it needing it again after the first riding season, for $200 I could of bought a couple cases of high quality spray paint that would of lasted through a few paint jobs. I tear my stuff down after every season for repairs/tune up anyways.

If you plan on riding it hard, and getting scraped and bruised, dont waste your money. I love the looks of powdercoat, but I hated the sound of money falling in a pit everytime I scraped it.

Its paint.. It WILL chip and scrape. I'd love for you to post pictures (video even better) of hammering on powdercoat without it chipping or messing up.

I worked at i powder-caoter and dealed with all kinds of powder coat and if powdercoat IS DONE CORRECTLY it is 2-3 times more durable than paint. You can hit it with a hammer and it wont chip, it may leave a LITTLE mark but it wont chip.
Was this supposed to be a professional powder-coater? Was the frame stripped to bare metal? Was it a hybrid or a polyester powder? If it was a hybrid then it's not made to be outside and it will definately go to hell. The guy might have not baked it long enough or he may have put too much powdercoat on it, i dont know, but like i said if it's done right it is 2-3 times more durable than paint.

I definately would go with the powder-coat, once again if it's done right, it is more durable than paint. There are literally dozens and dozens of colors you can get it powdercoated. There are several shades of 1 basic color (ex: brick red, red baron, light red). You can get sparkle silver that is a really shiny sparkly silver. There is also penny-vein and silver-vein which is like gold and black or silver and black wrinkle. One of my favorites was powdercoating the part sparkle silver and then go over the sparkle silver with a translucent blue or red, that looks awesome! just my 2 cents

Kevin

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Sumax did it. www.sumax.com. Not sure on the specifications of the job, I just picked out the color and they did the rest. They said the blast/bath was included in the cost.

dizasterzrfun69
05-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Thats the truth. Plus, once powdercoat chips, whats beneath it? Bare metal. In my mind, the best way to go would be to use some metal etch primer. That stuff is the best in my eyes. I workerd at a factory where they powdercoated most of their machines (vibrating screening machines for oil fields) and they would come back to get refurnished completely rusty. Like Lots of nothing said, powdercoating is great for show bikes, but for trail bikes, it really isn't as good as everyone thinks.

If there is rust under the powdercoat, even light surface rust, it will rust from the inside out and the powder-coat will come off and look like crap. Thats why you get the parts sandblasted and then wipe them down with laquer thinner before powdercoating them. You all are trying to make powdercoat sound so bad but really it isnt. I dont remember anyone EVER bringing parts back to where i worked due to rusting or chipping off. We actually had quite a few people come back talking about how great it was. And yes, we did alot of ATV frames, harley frames, etc and never had a complaint.

Kevin

dizasterzrfun69
05-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Sumax did it. www.sumax.com. Not sure on the specifications of the job, I just picked out the color and they did the rest. They said the blast/bath was included in the cost.

I looked at the website and they look like they know there powdercoat, i just dont see why yours came out so bad. This is really going to bug me now. I have my quadzilla powdercoated and it holds up great in the woods, fields, mud, whatever i put it through. We used to find scrap pieces of metal and powdercoat them at work, then when a customer asked how durable it is we would give them the scrap metal and a screw driver or a key and tell them to scratch it. They would scratch and scratch and wouldnt do a thing to the powdercoat. I really wonder why your powdercoat didnt hold up, that is going to bug me now.

Kevin

Red Rider
05-05-2005, 04:41 AM
My bike has been completely stripped down & painted twice in it's lifetime. The first time, a quality PPG brand paint w/ hardener was used. It looked great when finished but just didn't last that long. It only took about 3 seasons worth of dune trips to sandblast the paint off in certain areas. I decided to spend quite a bit more the second time & went with powder coating. That was 8 years ago now. The paint is a little dull in the areas where my boots rub the frame, but it still hasn't worn through. As for the rest of the frame, it's still as shiny as the day I brought it home from the powder coaters. One of my mottos is, "time is money." If I spend a little more money on powder coating, I know it'll save me tons of time later on because I won't be tearing my bike apart every other season to repaint it.

atcmatt
05-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Powdercoat is most definately alot better than painting. Powdercoat is bloody tough and worth every extra cent you pay for it. Sure it chips if hit hard enough, but it does not rub through as easy as paint. This is especially good on places where your boots rub etc. If you have the money, get powdercoat. You will not regret it.

Matt

twgranger
05-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Powder coating is the way to go. I had my stuff done 2 years ago and still no wera marks or chips. Paint don't last long when your boots are always rubbing on the frame and foot pegs.

vartiak15
05-05-2005, 07:30 AM
so what should i ask my local powder coater do i know if he does the good job so i can ride my bike hard.

vartiak15
05-05-2005, 07:31 AM
and how much was summit?

dizasterzrfun69
05-05-2005, 10:36 AM
so what should i ask my local powder coater do i know if he does the good job so i can ride my bike hard.

Well make sure he uses a polyester powder and not a hybrid, theres about a 99% chance that he will use polyester especially if he does alot of it and knows anything about powdercoat. You might want to ask if he has any samples or anything that you can try to scratch or mar, just tell him you couldnt decide between paint and powdercoat and you've heard good and bad about both so you would like to "test its durability". If it's a professional place it might cost about $150-$225. There are some places that can/will do it for under $100, but sometimes the cheaper hole in the wall places wont do a real good job.

Kevin

Bender
05-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Im sure glad that i got a good buddy that powder coats i get it done for 20bucks for just about anything i need

vartiak15
05-05-2005, 08:01 PM
can * get my frame done?

brapp
05-05-2005, 08:32 PM
i got my 350x frame done when i worked at east coast, and the transparent colors do scratch a lil easier than the solid colors, and when doign awhite color, make sure the surface is flawless!! ir it will bleed trough. and notw i get all my powdercoat work done for next to nothing, i just ahve tio pay for sandblasting, i'm gonna do this tecate up when i get it.