PDA

View Full Version : top end / motor questions

bigb9000
05-03-2005, 06:36 PM
hello, I am quite new to the forum so sorry if i sound dumb.

I have an 83 200x I recently went to dunemont, and after rideing around sand dunes for hours, i headed home. a few days later i decided to check my oil, it was out so i added some and started it up. now it smokes like crazy. so im guessing i need to do a rebuild on the top end? mabye piston rings? here is a small movie of what it does:

http://www.bigb9000.digitalkeg.com/forum/MOV00448.MPG

so any ideas? no shops around here want to work on it. so im guessing i might have to do it myself, which isnt a big deal but ive never done it. so what do i need to do? any advice?

thefox
05-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Welcome to 3 wheeler world! :welcome:

When you say it was out of oil do you mean low or none? Does the smoke go away after the engine warms up? It does sound like you toasted the rings but as for as if you did any other damage it is hard to tell without taking it apart. I would suggest getting a repair manual (I like Clymer) with the manual a top end job is not that hard as long as you are a little handy.

bigb9000
05-03-2005, 06:52 PM
when i say it was low, i do mean none... lol

but im quite handy when it comes to my car, but never done a ring job before. and the smoke just gets worse and thicker... and what kind of other damage could it have caused? it does make some kinda weird rattleing noise as you ride. and would it just be a simple matter replaceing the rings? or would the cylinder need to be honed too?

bigb9000
05-03-2005, 06:54 PM
also, could i just buy a new piston, cylinder and rings and install them and be done with it? rather that just rebuilding the old stuff? and what might that cost? and do they still make thoes kind of parts?

thefox
05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Without inspecting the cylinder there is no way of telling if you need a bore job or not. I would pull the head off and check it out before ordering parts. If it turns out that you just need a set of rings then you would be looking at about $80 (rings $40, gasket kit $20 and hone job $20). When replacing the rings then you should hone the cylinder too. If the cylinder or piston is scratched or out of spec. then it could run about $190 (piston and rings $110, gasket kit $20, bore job $60). Of course that is assuming that the valves, cam, and cam chain are still good. You can always take it apart and bring in the top end to a shop and have them check it out if you are unsure.

Running without oil and weird noises are not good but just seeing the amount of smoke in the video is not too much so I wouldn't be too discouraged.

bigb9000
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM
sounds like i need a manual

Dirtcrasher
05-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Worse than just a top end, usually bone dry damages the cam journals and rocker arm shafts etc. Your gonna have to tear into it and see but thats usually where the noises comes from.

BIGCRIP28
05-03-2005, 08:28 PM
sounds like i need a manual

yeah they come in handy.

bigb9000
05-03-2005, 10:27 PM
cam journals and rocker arm shafts huh....

Viper 350X
05-04-2005, 03:06 AM
I ran my 350X dry last year and mine did the same thing with I got it running again. After tearing off the head I discovered it destroyed the cam which in turn destroyed the head and cover. After replacing those it smoked even worse. I had to tear it apart again and hone the cylinder and replace the rings. None of it is very hard but it just takes time and money. when you get a manual, it will tell you what the cylinder specs should be. take it to a local machine shop and have the check it. Im sure you will be in specs for a standard ring set. Mine was. Good luck.