PDA

View Full Version : replacing clutch

plkmonster2
01-31-2003, 02:48 AM
on a 225dr, what parts do you need, like frition plates, what else? also, any tips? if i gun it, it will slip, then wheelie. i want to see if the clutch is doing that.

plkmonster2
01-31-2003, 02:49 AM
also, it has been sitting for a few years. if i change the oil, will it help it?

plkmonster2
01-31-2003, 02:50 AM
sorry bout that, it has been siting for a few years, but before starting it, i chnged the oil and filter

Howdy
01-31-2003, 11:00 AM
Let me give you some information to help. My opinion is at the bottom.

In the 225's there is 2 clutches. There is a centrifical clutch and a manul clutch.

The Centrifical clutch is the one on the crank. It engages as the motor gains rpms. As this clutch goes bad it takes more Motor RPMs to get it to engage. Sometimes it will engage all of a sudden at higher rpms. If you have to give the motor 1/2 throttle or so before the machine moves and once the motor rev's out it wants to go then this one is the problem. It's the easiest clucth to replace but is the most costly one.

Tha manual Clutch is the clutch used for shifting. It is activated via some internal parts ( connected to the shifter shaft ) when the shifter is moved ( up or down ). When this goes bad the the machine will move in lower gears and you will notice a slippage ( most all the time ) in higher gears. You should notice when you shift it into a higher gear the motor will want to rev but the trike don't want to go like it should.

Now you stated:

if i gun it, it will slip, then wheelie. i want to see if the clutch is doing that.

This leads me to believe that the centrifical clutch is bad. The centrifical clutch is engaging during higher rpms.

If it was the Manual clutch the machine would want to slip in higher gears. ( It wouldn't want to wheelie very well ).

that is my input. I hope it helps!
Thanks
Howdy

plkmonster2
01-31-2003, 02:59 PM
so its prolly the centrifugal. also, if im in 3rd, i get a lot of rpms, and skip 4th gear and go straight into 5th, i can floor it, then the engine will rev down to almost an idling point, and shake alot, like it is jerking, then it is fine.