PDA

View Full Version : Registration, insurance, etc?

400ccHomemade
05-03-2005, 02:44 PM
What do you guys do for registration and insurance and stuff like that? I thought that trikes couldn't be registered anymore, but I don't know for sure? I have no paperwork or anything for eithor of my trikes, and I ride around on dirt roads all the time. I'm pretty sure that a dirt road is legally the same as a hard road. If I get caught, technically, I could be in big trouble. I don't raise hell or kick up dust or goes fast, I basically just ride around. When I'm on my own property, that's a different story though! :w00t: I'm just curious what the deal here is, legally speaking.

bigredhead
05-03-2005, 03:00 PM
In canada .. i can register AND insure my trike.... but the insurance is thru the roof.

I'm thinking of calling them up and basically saying

" I have an 85 Honda 250 SX ATV... " .. " How much ? "

if they ask.. if it's a 3 wheeler.

I'll simply answer " Nope.. it's converted to a quad ". in the unlikely event i get pulled over. I'll tell the nice officer " It was a quad.. but the conversion kit fell apart. and i had to put it back to 3 wheels ".

that's my PLAN anyways ! LOL.... :p

Oldshell4481
05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
i drive my three wheeler to the town office, and tell them its a three wheeler and it gets registered under "ATV". i do not have it insured and am not sure if insurance is necessary, i know my friends have insurance.

chris200x
05-03-2005, 05:26 PM
What about those three wheeled bikes we see riding on our roads and highways. Or a motorcycle with a side car...wouldn't they be considered trikes? I seen on TV not to long ago a place somewhere in Pa that makes trikes, basically a motorcycle with two back tires. They're becoming big business nowadays. They are all decked out with storage compartments and stuff. How do those people get insured?

Blown 331
05-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Insurance for what? Liability or theft or what?

Mike_Ham_250R
05-03-2005, 05:44 PM
i ride basically the same (even on highways haha) but i dont have my wheelers insured or registered... i feel its much easier... but i think you can still register trikes

Oldshell4481
05-03-2005, 05:46 PM
i dont know what the insurance covers, probably theft and wrecks

Mike_Ham_250R
05-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Its just if somebody gets hurt on the wheeler... its much more for theft and all that stuff

Blown 331
05-03-2005, 05:52 PM
What do you mean if someone gets hurt? If you let someone ride it who doesn't have medical insurance? I don't understand this thread at all.

Mike_Ham_250R
05-03-2005, 05:55 PM
When i posted it i didnt get it but my dad says if i let a friend ride my wheeler and the ass rolls it down a hill and his medical bill is super high and he has no insurance then ATV insurance covers it

brapp
05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
her ein pa, we need a title to get registration, and registration to get insureance but its not too bad when * have allthat stuff to get insurance.

foster
05-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Say someone plows your trike into a tree, breaking both legs.
He files an insurance claim. His insurance pays his health bills -- and now HIS insurance sues you to recover that money. Your friend with the busted legs has no say in it -- it's his insurance company's choice to sue you, not his. If you got no insurance, you better be rich.
Or say you are out riding, having a blast, obeying all laws and everything, and your hot pipe accidentally starts a forest fire. This happened just last spring to a kid in California who knowingly rode without a spark arrestor. He and his parents were sued for $10 million, and that guy was just a kid.
You don't need insurance in some places, as long as you are willing to assume the risk.
Other places, like where I live, it's the law, but you only need liability (covers anyone you hurt or who gets hurt on your trike) and not fire, theft, damage, etc....
Hope that helps.

thefox
05-03-2005, 06:29 PM
In New York all ATV's (both 3 and 4 wheelers) have to be registered. If they are used off of your own personal property they need to be insured also. The insurance would cover things like you running into someone else and hurting them or damaging there property. If you don’t have any paperwork you should check with your state department of motor vehicles to find out what you need to do, unless you have owned it for a long time you will probably have a bunch of paperwork and waiting to do. As for riding on dirt roads, that is illegal too, they are the same paved roads.

chris200x
05-03-2005, 06:34 PM
How you supposed to do that when you don't have the title for your 20+ year old trike. Mine don't even have the metal sticker on the frame with the info on it anymore.

grundlegrabber
05-03-2005, 07:52 PM
In PA you will first need a title, then you can register your trike as an ATV. If you need a title, go to www.broadwaytitle.com. This is a rather simple procedure. I used them for a 1985 XL600R and I received all the necessary paperwork, went to the fast tag joint, had a problem free transaction, and in 3 weeks I had a PA title in my hands for a bike that I got with no title.
As far as insurance, you can get liability and injury coverage, as well as theft coverage and accident damage (if you wreck it out on the trail, they will cover the damage). I have a friend who is an insurance agent and can hook you up with a good policy for a decent price. PM me.
Registration and I believe also liability coverage are required to ride on state lands (which there's not too much of to ride on here in PA). A lot of guys I know have the theft and accident coverage, some have made claims and got money to rebuild their wheelers after they rolled them down a hill.

Oldshell4481
05-03-2005, 08:05 PM
yeah but when it comes to rebuilding an old machine, or replacing it, you wont get another trike...