PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean drive chains?

BIGCRIP28
05-02-2005, 03:45 PM
I finally got some good lube and need to clean a non and a oring chain.
What should i use to clean them?

bigredhead
05-02-2005, 04:43 PM
is it currently ON the machine of off ?

if it's off.. dip it in gas and shake it around good.. then let it hang dry.. and lube it up.

if it's on..... welll... i'll let someone else chime in on that.

BIGCRIP28
05-02-2005, 05:39 PM
its on but i can take it off. the manual says to use kerosene.

Mr. Sandman
05-02-2005, 06:05 PM
is it currently ON the machine of off ?

if it's off.. dip it in gas and shake it around good.. then let it hang dry.. and lube it up.

if it's on..... welll... i'll let someone else chime in on that.

Dipping or soaking the non o-ring chain in gas is fine but don't use gas on the o-ring chain as the o-rings will react and expand and the chain will be ruined. Don't use a wire brush on the o-rings either as that'll cut them up and ruin them too.

BIGCRIP28
05-02-2005, 07:31 PM
well then what do you ^^^ use to clean it?

RichinMO
05-02-2005, 07:33 PM
O-ring on bike: parts washing brush and kerosene

SoCalDesertRider
05-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I put some old pre-mixed gas in an old ~2 gallon liquid laundry detergent jug (that's been washed out good) and drop the chain in there and shake it around real good, then take it out, pour some of the gas into an oil pan and scrub the chain real good with a parts brush, then back into the jug and shake it around again to rinse off any sand clinging to it and hang it out to dry. My chains are non-o-ring, but I used to do that with my old o-ring chain too untill I got a new one. Nothing happened to the o-rings and I cleaned it that way quite often for about 2 years.

chris200x
05-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Which ones are better? O or no O?

trikerider2oo7
05-02-2005, 09:23 PM
x-ring is best, then o-ring, then non o-ring. i just spray down my whole bike with super clean, leave it set a few minutes, then pressure wash it all off, it works good on the chain and everything

BIGCRIP28
05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
whats super clean?

ClayW
05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
The purple stuff you buy at the parts store. Kind of a degreaser. AutoZone has it. Thats what I use. That and Bleech White. Gas will definately make the o-rings swell up. If you ride it while they are swollen, they will be toast. The swelling will usually subside a bit, but they will never be the same. Just use the purple stuff or bleech white and a plastic brissle brush. It will get it all off for the most part.

sandrooster
05-03-2005, 02:35 PM
I've been using pump gas to clean my O-ring chains for twenty years on all my trikes.

I remove the chain and clean after every ride. Still using the original stock chains. Never had a problem, no cracks on any O-ring. Of course I use good chain lube after I wipe and hang dry.

Viper 350X
05-04-2005, 02:53 AM
Use a chain scrubber........ Here is one link I found
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/accessoriesdetail/product=104502/levelcode=5638/catalog=1183/Moose+ATV+Racing/Chain+Scrubber/accessories104502.htm

BIGCRIP28
05-04-2005, 08:44 AM
the owners manual recommends kerosene so you think it would be ok to use diesel?

asc180
05-04-2005, 12:14 PM
I use kerosene for my chains. Diesel will work fine.

BIGCRIP28
05-04-2005, 06:03 PM
all i got to say is never use gear oil on a chain as lube. i used diesel and it was soooo dirty :eek: One more question: how long do i need to let it dry before i put some lube? (Klotz KLR)

atcmatt
05-04-2005, 07:02 PM
I have a mate who cleans his chain off first with kerosene. He then heats up oil in a pan and "cooks" the chain for a few minutes. It really does work and the chain looks new! Just dont spill the hot oil onto yourself, that could hurt! Oh, and i doubt this method would be suitable for an O-ring type chain. :eek:

Matt

Red Rider
06-22-2005, 04:32 AM
Dipping or soaking the non o-ring chain in gas is fine but don't use gas on the o-ring chain as the o-rings will react and expand and the chain will be ruined.
I've used gas to clean O-ring chains for years with no damage to the O-rings, but lately I use solvent, just because it's a lot safer to work with than gasoline. Mr. Sandman, it was the carburetor cleaner/parts dip that destroyed the O-rings in my ATC 110 chain, not gas. I think you may be confusing the two. ;)

Huffa
06-22-2005, 06:22 AM
Kerosene or diesel is the hot set up.

Always WD-40 the chain immeadiatly after a wash as it keeps the chain from rusting.

Oring and Xring are the only ones I'd use but then again all mine are shaft drive so I'd use none of them. :D

What kind of lube did you buy? Some lubes actually attract the dirt and to me are worse then using none at all.

.........and last, which way are you putting the master link clip on?

Huffa
06-22-2005, 06:26 AM
I've used gas to clean O-ring chains for years with no damage to the O-rings, but lately I use solvent, just because it's a lot safer to work with than gasoline.

Yep, it's a good habit to get away from using gas as a cleaner for safety reasons. I used to use it myself but got away from the habit years ago.

Oldshell4481
06-22-2005, 09:10 AM
i think they reccommend a "high flash solvent" to make it a little safer.. you can put a match out in a bucket of diesel, i dont know about kerosene but it is very similar to diesel..

gas is another story, i would never use gas to soak anything in, as leaving gas laying around in a pan is a hazard in itself.

BIGCRIP28
06-22-2005, 01:03 PM
kerosone/diesel works real good. :beer

bigredhead
06-22-2005, 01:08 PM
kerosone/diesel works real good. :beer

But it reeks !

How bout a pressure washer ( 1300 psi ) at a 4 inch distance !!!!.. blast it clean and then re-oil. don't even need to remove it from the bike !!!

ATC crazy
06-22-2005, 03:58 PM
I've always taken a hose or pressure washer to my chains (Non O-Ring) to clean them. Immediatly after, spray the chain with WD40 and let it dry. After that, use what ever you want to lube it....except for grease or wax...they will attract dirt and hold it to you chain

crackshot
06-22-2005, 06:32 PM
I know an old racing secret for chain grime and used it for years. Melts the crap right off and in the chain area where the small spocket off in the case.
It does not stink, will not harm plastic of rubber and blasts off with garden hose.
Can't tell you what it is because its a secret!

BIGCRIP28
06-22-2005, 10:54 PM
I know an old racing secret for chain grime and used it for years. Melts the crap right off and in the chain area where the small spocket off in the case.
It does not stink, will not harm plastic of rubber and blasts off with garden hose.
Can't tell you what it is because its a secret!

thanks for sharing.....
a..hole.