PDA

View Full Version : New Tri-Z almost ready to rumble

YAMAHA_Jim
05-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I took these pics today.Its going together slowly.I'm using alot of old parts that have been covered in crud since the 80's. Each nut/bolt goes on the wire wheel to get cleaned before it gets used on the trike.Also alot of the parts need cleaning too.I cleaned all the hoses and wires off too.
The only thing I'm unsure of is whether or not the fuel pump is good.It gets tested when I fire the bike up.I didnt want to mess with it and create a leak.Even if it doesnt work,It'll be nice and shiny :)
The wheels and tires are temporary.I'm still waiting for new front wheel bearings for the painted front hub. I also bought a set of MSR Dominator handlebars for it (KTM bend).Thats about it for now.I still need to order chain/sprockets and find some hot pink grips..... :TrikesOwn PEACE
Also a pic of my new tent, 12x12 ,,plenty of room for me and the trikes.The guy at Gander Mt looked at me strange when I told him I needed a tent w/ a door wide enough to fit an atv through.lol

twgranger
05-01-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't know what to think about that color :eek:

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Sure is BRIGHT - I like it! Looking good.

YAMAHA_Jim
05-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Few more pics,
It does look alot better in person.The dig camera doesnt react well with neon colors.The fork boots are flourescent orange and show up yellow on camera.
I realize not everyone likes bright colors.This was just a vision I had in my head one night and I went with it. Thanx again to Hagen for supplying me with the personalized rear grab bar a few yrs back. :w00t:

Yardbird
05-01-2005, 09:07 PM
I know some people are hardcore Trike lovers. But sleeping with your Trike is taking it to a new level! It's like a Marine sleeping with his rifle. :naughty:

03 ORANGE SHEE
05-01-2005, 10:10 PM
is that pearl in the clear??

Derrick Adams
05-01-2005, 10:14 PM
So, since you got a beater bike, how about you go do some trail riding with us at TF? Say, thursday?

I need to get started on my beater bike. Yours is coming together faster than mine!

seadoo650
05-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Lookin pretty good Derrick!

BigGreenMachine
05-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Cool, can't wait to see it with some plastics mounted.

seadoo650
05-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Shoot my bad. Not derricks. Still looks good.

83185s
05-01-2005, 11:19 PM
I know some people are hardcore Trike lovers. But sleeping with your Trike is taking it to a new level! It's like a Marine sleeping with his rifle. :naughty:

lol thats a completely different story..a marine slleping with his rifle is life or death...sleeping with ** trike is weather or not * may go rding the next day..

it is bright..i agree..hopefully itll look pretyt good tho with the plastics on and stuff...i hop i can go to trikefest..the way its turnin out i prolly wont be able to...how much is it a day..like 15?? i forgot anyway..sweet trike man i hope * get that goin for tf 05

YAMAHA_Jim
05-08-2005, 09:43 PM
.....OK.I had this simple idea of throwing a beater trike together for the MX races at Haspin;I didtn want to trash my nice original trike.Originally I was just going to put parts together unpainted and unclean just to have a trike to ride,,,,,thats not my style. If it isnt new (or like new) it doesnt go together.The only major FUBAR I had was finding out that the rear linkage arm was bent after I painted it.I should have checked it before i painted it.I grabbed another one off the shelf and polished it up and used it.It may or may not get painted.I still need chain/sprockets and grips before I can ride it.I also might buy a different seatcover,the blue seat came off the blue tri-Z.Also need to mount the front number plate.
I'm actually glad I started this project,When taking the red Z apart I noticed a few nuts/bolts and bearings were starting to rust up from not moving and never being taken apart before. I might resto the red Z next winter,,freshen her up a bit.
For now,I'll be practicing on the new Z. I will be racing in the 2 stroke class at Haspin. Does anyone racing the 350x class object to me racing the tri-z in the 350x class? Maybe Tim sr wont mind if no one else does.I doubt trikeaholic lets me get within 50' of his 350x again,lol that thing ripppped.
Well thats it for now,I'll get pics if and when I add stickers,new seatcover,etc.,,,enjoy the pics :TrikesOwn
Thanx to www.speedysigns.com for the #1's. Also thanx to 3ww for giving me a place to hang out and show my stuff.

Wickedfinger
05-08-2005, 09:57 PM
That color looks alot better outside, Looks great. ............ Personally I think I would have done the forks black, however - its your vision.

Oldshell4481
05-08-2005, 10:00 PM
shes gonna look real nice, wish i had a project to work on, all these days that i have nothing else to do but sit around i could get alot done.

Billy Golightly
05-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Man that thing looks great Jim. You've done alot of work putting it together and made it look good to boot.

Oh yeah, I'll bring my 200X and let you race it in the 350x class, might be fair then! :D

cliff2302
05-08-2005, 10:03 PM
that looks awesome....especially considering you put it together from spare parts. lol

AirManCam
05-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Looks good, but I think it would look really good with black infront of all the florescent parts :-p

BigGreenMachine
05-08-2005, 10:43 PM
I agree that black forks would set it off but damn she is nice looking. Very original and matches your Blaster to boot.

Oldshell4481
05-08-2005, 10:45 PM
i like the color scheme it is.

YAMAHA_Jim
05-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks dudes :)
I was going to paint the forks black, but i thought they might look odd being the only thing that was black.The blaster did influence me a bit on the paint color.I was thinking of painting the airbox cover on the Z blue to match the blaster.I think I'll leave it white for now.
,,,The only thing I have left to paint now is a TRIKEFEST 05 Banner.

Darius1502
05-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Jim,

How did you get the paint to stick on the fenders?

Looks great...and very creative.

One thing is missing....throw some Armor All on the tires...they look too dirty for a freshly painted trike!!

Good job!!

Derrick Adams
05-09-2005, 12:26 AM
I still say that is one wicked looking Blaster.

Dammit!
05-09-2005, 01:28 AM

This is my trike. There are many like it but this one is mine. Without me my trike is nothing. Without my trike, I, am nothing.

brapp
05-09-2005, 11:25 AM
looks awesome, kinda reminds me of the late 80's and early 90's yz250's

AZ250R
05-09-2005, 07:16 PM
looks awesome, kinda reminds me of the late 80's and early 90's yz250's
I was think'n bout all the retro 80s riding gear that would match that trike perfectly too. GET SOME, it's ALL back in style right now. ;)

Yamahondaman
05-09-2005, 07:36 PM
One thing about it being with you in the Tent is that if somebody want's to steel it ...they'd have to Tangle with you FIRST !!! keep's the "Night" Dew off it also !! some "Chic's" like the smell of Cam-2 and Klotz in your Clothes !! :-)
GIT IT RAG !!!!!

YAMAHA_Jim
05-09-2005, 09:39 PM
I used krylon fusion plastic paint,comes in a spray can in 8 or 10 colors. After the fenders were sanded smooth and cleaned I put a light coat of gray primer on.Let that dry and hit it with the krylon fusion.A few light coats are better than one heavy coat.It dries nice and shiny,, I added clearcoat and metalflake on my plastic.I'm sure eventually it will chip off like any other paint. lol,after I saw the pics on the PC i wished I put armor all on them :)

AZ250R, WHere can I buy mint cond 80's-90's style riding gear? I had a few pairs of early to mid 80's JT pants with YAMAHA on the leg. 1 pair was yellow/black and the other was red/white.I gave them away to some younger friends that got into riding after i out grew them.FOX and AXO also had some nice colors back then.

AZ250R
05-10-2005, 05:13 PM
AZ250R, WHere can I buy mint cond 80's-90's style riding gear? I had a few pairs of early to mid 80's JT pants with YAMAHA on the leg. 1 pair was yellow/black and the other was red/white.I gave them away to some younger friends that got into riding after i out grew them.FOX and AXO also had some nice colors back then.
Keep look'n on ebay is all I know of, cept I've got a pair of the old AXO gloves that have the "hot pink" on em. Not mint, but not bad... if ya had the jersey & pants that went with them though... you'd be one BRIGHT MUTHA____!!! :D

TimSr
05-14-2005, 02:18 PM
I get the distinct impression Im going to be seeing this trike up close and in action at Trikefest!

YAMAHA_Jim
05-18-2005, 09:02 PM
I rode the tri-z for the first time tonite. I tryed to last night but the fuel pump leaked and gas ran through the airline and into the cylinder.It started up and ran for about 3 seconds.After kicking it a few more times I realized it wasnt gonna start.Gas was getting to the cylinder but through the wrong line,lol.It was dark by the time I changed fuel pumps so I had to wait to ride it. Tonite it ran great.I did a few laps on my track and even cleared the double and tabletop jump.I went easy at first because I had thoughts of "which bolt did I forget to tighten"lol.I also didnt want to get it too dirty yet.For some reason every Tri-Z that I build feels and rides different.
I need to do a few more moto's on it here before I'm ready for the MX races. As far as racing MX with the ytm,,,,just pound the pee out of it. :D