PDA

View Full Version : 250r shocks

85 250sx
05-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Well my 86 250r has realy soft shocks so today i took the rear shock off to see if maybe i could adjust it a little to make it stiffer. But when i took the shock the whole way out and pressed it with my hand the only thing that gave resistance was the spring the shock itself just slides in and out with no resistance untill it hits the spring. so i guess now i know why my trike was so bouncy. Do i need a shock rebuild or do i just need to recharge it? Also what would happen if i hooked my shock up to my air compressor and put some pressure in?

My front shocks are also pretty bouncy how much do shock rebuilds normaly go for?
some times i just think i would be better off selling this thing lol. i fix one thing and find something new :o

350x'inNY
05-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Well my 86 250r has realy soft shocks so today i took the rear shock off to see if maybe i could adjust it a little to make it stiffer. But when i took the shock the whole way out and pressed it with my hand the only thing that gave resistance was the spring the shock itself just slides in and out with no resistance untill it hits the spring. so i guess now i know why my trike was so bouncy. Do i need a shock rebuild or do i just need to recharge it? Also what would happen if i hooked my shock up to my air compressor and put some pressure in?

My front shocks are also pretty bouncy how much do shock rebuilds normaly go for?
some times i just think i would be better off selling this thing lol. i fix one thing and find something new :o

That's the joy of 20+ year old ATC's! The front fork seals and such aren't that bad to deal with. I suggest the OEM Honda seals... they come with the dust seal "wipers".... if you are a larger guy like myself, take a peek at www.progressivesuspension.com Get yourself some progressive front springs... they also make replacement springs for the rear... Holic knows a guy that rebuilds rear shocks too.

Bruce

RichinMO
05-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Also since your rear shock has no resistance, that means its blown and needs to be rebuilt. Recharging it or putting compressed air in it won't do any good. Find someplace local that rebuilds them or send it off to Works or another shock company.

85 250sx
05-01-2005, 09:48 PM
how much does rebuilding shocks cost? Im not to sure but i think i remember them being pretty pricey. Do you guys think id be worth rebuilding this one or should i find another one on ebay?

RichinMO
05-01-2005, 10:00 PM
You could get one cheaper off ebay than rebuilding one would cost.

hrc85250r
05-01-2005, 10:07 PM
i got a used works ultracross for 250$ shipped in damn good shape, it came off a trx set up for a 220 lb rider, which is 20 lbs more than i weigh, i needed the special atc bushings for it and they sent them to me for free....awesome shock too, the ride with a good shock is improved 1,000,000 times over stock, i can go through the trails around here going like 3 times what i could before....i priced a good shock rebuild around 100$, including normal parts...your spring is probly shot 75$, so theres 175$... front fork rebuild isnt that bad, some decent seals and fork fluid, which you can use ATF fluid, and maybe some progressive springs if you have an issure with bottoming or you jump alot...

okieRrider
05-01-2005, 10:19 PM
I have some shocks here that look to be new old stock 85 250r shocks. My email is okieguy10@yahoo.com if your interested....Thanks, Chris

85 250sx
05-01-2005, 10:48 PM
could i hook my air compressor up to the rear shock and see of it holds pressure at all? would that tell me if its blown? and yes i am a pretty big guy i guess (220 lbs) i dont do much jumping though nothing big atleast. i have never bottomed out with these mussy forts so i dont think i need harder springs just need to rebuild the shocks

oddball3
05-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Is an 85 250r shock the same as the 86. If so I have a new take off. I bought it on ebay, the guy said it was for a 350x. Wrong. It matches my friends 85 250r shock. The paint marks are not even broke yet on the adjusters. Just has some shelf wear. PM if interested

YTZ250#1
05-01-2005, 11:29 PM
I would not recomend putting compresed air in it.you might blow the bladder rite out of it.You can contact GT Thunder over in Ohio.he rebuilt my r shock for $55 + parts.It needed a bladder and that was about 15 bucks more.the 55 included teardown,clean and inspect all inners,reassemble,fresh oil,and the nitrogen charge.I thought it was a good deal.his # is
(330)674-7122 or www.gtthunder.com ask for Laz ,he is the owner and is a good guy to deal with.

85 250sx
05-01-2005, 11:52 PM
hey oddball3 does everything in the shock work properly? and how much would you be asking shipped to 17320 thanks