PDA

View Full Version : 200x for $400 but has problems, good deal or no?

benscool1
01-30-2003, 10:25 PM
I am looking at buying a 84' 200x for $400. It is supposed to be in really good condition except for the fact that the cam is locked up and the timing chain is broken. Is this someething that is easy to fix, even for a novice? How much would it cost to fix? I have seen another one for $250 with something wrong with the crank? I need your opinions. Help me. Email me @benscool1@hotmail.com.

smokinwrench
01-30-2003, 10:40 PM
I was told that this trike was only worth around the $400.00 range if that helps any. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6724&item=2401602562&rd=1

benscool1
01-31-2003, 04:28 AM
Somebody must know something about this.

85200xer
01-31-2003, 05:14 AM
to get to the cam you must take the motor out of the bike. then to replace the camchain you will need a flywheel puller. It is really easy if you watch where all of the parts you take out go ;) I paid 600 for mine and it didn't need any work except a 15.00 set of axel bearings. I have a book and a scanner so if you need any help Just pm me. I wont be around from this coming wednesday to monday. I'm goin' to revelstoke :o

just remember you aint gonna learn if ya don't try :x

later,
85200xer

ATCRYDER
01-31-2003, 11:08 AM
I wouldnt pay over $325 for an 83-85 that needs internal work like that.

GOod luck,
Rob

Howdy
01-31-2003, 11:52 AM
I'm with ATCRyder here. I would shoot more for the $250-$325 range. If the cam is bad most likely it will need a head also. The cam will wear grooves in the head. Luckily I have some spare parts for when I buy machines like this one. ;) It pays to save stuff. lol

Levithan
01-31-2003, 02:14 PM
I got my 200x for 200 bucks, and it had some problems. Here's all the problems: Cracked headlight and broken bulb, axle needed new bearings, and also needed to be repaired because the last person who had it rode it on bad bearings, which chewed up the axle; Bad CDI, no light switch, broken airbox, bad rear caliper, and the swingarm needed to be reparied. Heh, i was desparate enough to buy it, but its almost fixed now, which is pretty cool. Hope you find one thats good to ya!

waterfowler
01-31-2003, 03:20 PM
I guess I would ask what does "locked up" mean? If you lose the cam gear you may be able to replace that, however, if you lose the cam (seized, broke, or other) you will want to replace the head. It depends on the cam journals, rockers, and lobes. I woule be careful paying $400 for something like this. My max would be around $300. You should replace the cam and bearings at one time and possibly the rockers which are worn to the old cam lobes. Might create an issue.
Good Luck,

benscool1
01-31-2003, 07:52 PM
Thansk for the help guys. But now what about the one with the messed up crank? I'm trying to figure out which one is the best deal, and if anyone knows that they can get me the parts that you guys say I need if I do get these and live fairly close to Illinois it would help.

How bout that crank? harder to fix or easier? Its $250

200xer
01-31-2003, 08:28 PM
I would spend the money and get one that is already running and only needs things like brake pads or tires or bearings. I bought a 200x that had motor problems and it can be a nightmare.

Crank problems (depending what that means) can involve splitting the cases. Which really isn't too bad, but a lot more work that doing the top end.

PLJ.
02-01-2003, 12:44 AM
I believe that this is one of my listings that you are refering to. I do not have a ton of intimate knowledge of it, since I am selling it for a friend. But here is what I know. My cousin bought this 200X brand new in 84 and never put much time on it. It passed through a few sets of hands over the years and ended up in my friends garage. I never knew he even had it!! He called me up a while ago looking for advice on how to replace a timing chain. I went over to look at it and he had the top end removed. The cam froze itself to one of the bushing that aligns it in the head, this stoppage then broke the timing chain. The piston, bore, rod and crank all appear unhurt. Before disassembly. he drained the oil and noticed that it was diluted with gas, he flooded it terribly, which may have caused all the problems. He purchased a new chain and gaskets but never put it together. I said that I may be able to sell it for him. Very nice condition. Excellent tank, plastic, fenders, bearings, lights, tires, chain and sprockets, cases and controls. I sold one last spring with a locked up crank for $350.00 I was hoping to get him $400.00 for this one. What do you think?? Thanks.

benscool1
02-01-2003, 12:52 AM
Thats a lot more detail then i had before. Thanks. So it has all the parts it needs to be fixed?

PLJ.
02-01-2003, 01:02 AM
I believe that he has a gasket kit, new timing chain and new cam alignment bushings. I will check with him for a complete detail of what he has. I apoligize if I was short with you before, I have been running in circles with people who do not have any clue about what they are looking at or inquiring about on my adds. You sound different. Let me get you a few pics and a list of what parts he has purchased. Thanks.

benscool1
02-01-2003, 01:05 AM
Ok, thanks a lot man. You said no trades in the email right?

PLJ.
02-01-2003, 01:07 AM
Yes, that right. Cash or money order only. Thanks.