PDA

View Full Version : 86 Tri Z is Home!! Needs Lots O' Help

Orangecnty250r
04-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Just got home with her. Needs lots of TLC but for 550 bucks not bad.
Even though this is going to go into storage until next winter for a total rebuild I have to change those back tires for my mental state and peace of mind. :rolleyes: Its great though that I will have 9 months to acquire the needed replacement parts for this thing. Tri Z ebay here I come!!

Anybody want to buy my custom seat!

03 ORANGE SHEE
04-30-2005, 11:57 AM
looks great for the $$. it wont take a much (seat cover , rear wheels) for her to look sweet! nice find, hard to find a complete 86

Trikeaholic
04-30-2005, 12:05 PM
if it runs, thats more than I can say for mine! That looks like gravy compared to the complete POS I bought! Good luck and anyone have a stator for sale???

Darius1502
04-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Looking good man!!

In no time it will look this this baby:

chris200x
04-30-2005, 02:57 PM
That does not look to be in bad shape at all. You say restore. Does this mean you will not be riding this one either? I kinda like the walmart/trailer park look of those rear tires. lol

Orangecnty250r
04-30-2005, 04:01 PM
That does not look to be in bad shape at all. You say restore. Does this mean you will not be riding this one either? I kinda like the walmart/trailer park look of those rear tires. lol

Upon close inspection its rough --real rough -the pictures hide alot of it. I'll take some close ups when I start tearing it down in the future. I definetly have my hands full but have no doubt it will be a beauty. If I do a full restore it will not be ridden. You now know when i say restore what I mean. I take them seriously. I have things I enjoy to ride and things I enjoy more just looking at.

Tri Z guys ---How rare are the brand new red plastics ??? Are we talking Tecate right shroud rare?

Darius1502
04-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Yes they are very very rare. If you find any then you are awesome.

You can sand them down and then re-paint. For example, my airbox cap has been painted. Thats the only way to track down a new one.

Also the fork boots are n/a...Jerod has 1 red boot from the 86 in inventory.

The front plastic...same thing. All we have to work with regarding plastic is the rear. I bought a brand new OEM front fender still in the wrapper from somone on ebay about 2 years ago. They bought it in '93 and it just sat in a closet. Very similar to Tecate shrouds...rare....rare...rare. Just look and look...something will turn up.

I had my airbox cap painted and it look 10x better than new OEM...at least I think
so!

I'll hook you up man...and give you an idea of your options!

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/readersrigs/DariusTriZ.jpg

3forlife
04-30-2005, 09:12 PM
I swear to god every used atv I have ever purchased has had those POS tires on it! :mad: The only good thing about them is that they never wear out. It looks like it will make a great winter project! :cool:

big red 24
05-03-2005, 08:10 PM
looks like a steal for 550 bucks really nice find there realy realy rare around here

thefox
05-03-2005, 08:23 PM
I swear to god every used atv I have ever purchased has had those POS tires on it! :mad: The only good thing about them is that they never wear out.

hahaha Same here! I hate replacing tires with life left on them but they just won't wear down!

toyota200x
05-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah those tires look new. Why does that company even make those anymore? I was riding on the lake this winter with my 185s and I just have regular old knobbies and this other guy had a 185s with those trail pros and he would get stuck all the time and I thought my knobbies were bad in the snow.

Orangecnty250r
05-03-2005, 09:21 PM
I did my assessment of this machine this past Sunday to determine what parts I need to start buying and to be honest with you this 86 Tri Z is a pile of junk. Good thing I'm not planning on doing this until next winter because it will take for ever to buy all the parts I need for it to do a nice restore on it. Here some close up pics. Let me put it this way even the rear fender bolts were seized up. So this one will be a knuckle buster for sure. The pictures still make this thing look better.

Bent grab bar
missing front brakes
cracked rear caliper
missing bolts everwhere
everything is loose and clunky
The list goes on and on and on

What kind of hubs are these. Lucky for this machine I have a vision. Do you guys think its possible????

Orangecnty250r
05-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Heres some more pics of my Project Save 86Z.

edog
05-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Looks like to much work for you ....I'll take it off your hands for $551.lol

Orangecnty250r
05-03-2005, 09:33 PM
Looks like to much work for you ....I'll take it off your hands for $551.lol

Thats what I needed --a challenge. Thanks for the motivation :beer

twgranger
05-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Them hubs look like their from a tri-zinger or something.

Darius1502
05-03-2005, 09:43 PM
I don't think it looks too bad. Mine was in better shape when I got it but I did get it in pieces. The one think I am thankful for is that mine did not have rust...it was just dirty.

You can do it man....don't forget you have the cleanest restoration on this board. The trouble will be finding the parts...but I do think that you will do this too!!

good luck brother...don't worry about the wheels, axle, paint, and all that crap...as you know it can be plated or painted!

LonesomeTriZ
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
I have restored worse, with less to work with. You have a good foundation. Just stay staedy and pay attention to detail. Also keep in mind you do not have to replace bad or broken parts. A lot of times a simple repair is all that is neccassary. Restore means reusing as many of the old parts as humanly possible. Restore, repiar, rebiuld. Those are the words I keep in the back of my mind during a restoration. A biuld is something all together different.

brapp
05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
those hubs are off of a kawaski klf185 bayoy, i have oen with the exact same hubs, and the nice thign is mine i can bearly fit a set of honda rims on them, ther are really tight but do work,

Darius1502
05-04-2005, 01:48 PM
OranageCty250r:

Are you going to ride the Z or its it just for show like the Tecate. If it does not need to be mechanically perfect then pant, plating, and new plastic will be easy to make that trike look mint. At least I think so!

Orangecnty250r
05-04-2005, 06:04 PM
OranageCty250r:

Are you going to ride the Z or its it just for show like the Tecate. If it does not need to be mechanically perfect then pant, plating, and new plastic will be easy to make that trike look mint. At least I think so!

I think this 86 will be for show and I'll blast my 85 around. Very similar to my 250R situation. I think I'll want it very mechanically sound even though I wont ride it. I am also thinking of painting the airbox cover and shrouds (not these shrouds see how the triangular portion was cut on both sides) :rolleyes: if I dont find really good ones I'll paint. I do like how yours came out. I dont think your shrouds are painted ---there just perfect.

Question ----that story you told about finding the shroud on clearance long ago . Did that ever end up on your bike?

I'm thinking my powder coater will do wonders for this thing. My tiger cleaned up awesome with the powder.

And the reality is as long as you own something is it ever really done? I know for my tectate I'm still looking for a couple of things. Whether it takes a year or 5 years I'll get them. Same for the Z who knows when that new red plastic wil show up on ebay??

Darius I will be making a list of questions soon for recommendations and suggestions on some ways I should go with this bike. Ill PM you soon. Thanks

Darius1502
05-04-2005, 06:39 PM
That story about the radiator shroud was awesome and yes its on the trike.

I baby ride all my trikes because heaven forbid I scratch up those shrouds. Yes the shrouds are original and unpainted. Only the airbox cap is painted. The headlight is mint.

One thing that sucks about the 86 Z's is that the tires are no longer available from Dunlop. If you going for an all original look then you have to put 21's on the rear. I prefer banshee wheels, tires and hubs. The banshees are 20's inchers.

Well..thats it for now. I do see red shrouds on ebay quite a bit...the condition is usually fair....

I'll be ready for your questions!