PDA

View Full Version : first 3 wheeler

ploughjockey
01-30-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm going to take a look at a 200es big red this weekend. The guy says that it is in fair condition, the motor runs, tires are o.k., a few cracks in the plastic but no missing chunks. The rear end is out of it and it needs a new drive shaft. The guy is asking $500 obo [canadian].this is approx. $780 u.s. I have a fairly complete shop and can handle most mechanical stuff. My question is,how much is a new driveshaft ? Is it worth while looking for a used one ? Does this sound like a good deal ? I started out looking for a 110 but the guys on the forum have recommended a 250sx or 250es. Is the '85 200es o.k. too ?

Tweeked
01-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Hey,
I just got my first trike the other week, Its an 84' 200ES. ITS an awsome trike. Most reliable thing in the world...Plus it was GIVEN to me by one of my dads friends, Its worth well over 1200 Its in Awsome condition. Anyways, When I started reading your post I thought it sounded pretty good untill I read it needed a new drive shaft...Oh Boy. I believe they've discontinued them now...You can still find around but they're pretty rare and will cost AT least $500 i'd say. On www.Bikebandit.com they sell the shaft for around 1200. I wouldn't recomend getting this trike, because of the shaft. Now if your an exspert at machining I'd say sure give it a try but if not. I would keep looking, like it said the 200es is the most reliable trike and is sorta like an SUV in the trike world. It has nice power and speed and has a ton of torque, but because this one the guy has is in need of a shaft, i wouldn't go for it. Good luck,

-Mike

Tweeked
01-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Oh,
I just thought I'd ad a couple pix. of my red. just in case u were wondering what they looked like...The other thing is...They only made the 200es up until 84' and then they started making the 250es in 85'.

freaksfix
01-30-2003, 03:35 PM
The guy is asking $500 obo [canadian].this is approx. $780 u.s.

WOW!!! Last time I was in Canada the excahange rate was like 125% canadian to the US dollar.. :shock:

ploughjockey
01-30-2003, 04:21 PM
The guy did say that it was a 1985 200es so that's something that I'll have to check. I just called Service Honda in Hammond, indiana and was given a price of $186.06 for driveshaft pt#40200-hao-680. I then called a Honda dealer here in Ontario and was given a price of $182.00 [Can.] for the same pt#,which sounds pretty good. Both dealers didn't say anything about this part not being available. Hey TWEEKED , this doesn't seem to agree with what you're telling me. Any further thoughts on this?

Howdy
01-30-2003, 04:38 PM
1st, Honda didn't make a 85 200es. They made a 250es in 85.

If it is a 84 200es then I should have the drive shaft. I might also have one for the 85 250es also. I would have to double check though.
Howdy

ATC crazy
01-30-2003, 07:26 PM
I was gonna say, $500 for a drive shaft, wow :shock:

Tweeked
01-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Hey,
Yeah...Check this out...1200 for the complete thing... :rolleyes: ... http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic.asp?schem_dept_id=179771&section_dept_id=1&section_dept_name=OEM++%28Stock%29+Parts&dept_type_id=2&model_dept_year=1984&model_dept_mfr=Honda&model_dept_id=179181&model_dept_name=ATC200ES ....But when I started checking it out I realized what I was looking at was the final gearing...Sorry dude. My bad. I think I got the $500 rear shaft thing from a post a while back...From a guy with a Big red...The shaft has twisted up and got all bent and was gonna have to pay allot something like 500 I think. Anyways, Sounds like a pretty good. But like the others said...They only made the 200es up untill 84'...If its DEF. an 85 then hes got a 250ES...See ya

shuddleston
01-31-2003, 03:21 PM
I have an 83 200e Big Red 3 wheeler that runs now that I would be willing to part. The following is a run down of the condition: new tires all around, fairly new rear rims, new seat, pull start and electric start (electric components are their but doesn't work anymore), missing front fender - used to patch up rear plastic, missing front headlight and assembly. Runs well, just used it couple weeks ago pulling the kids around the street on the sled. I am currently working on getting some digital photos taken.

shuddleston
01-31-2003, 03:24 PM
FYT $500 Canadian is only about $375 U.S. our dollar is worth at least $1.25 Canadian!

ploughjockey
02-01-2003, 03:08 AM
:oops: You guys really caught me on that one! $500 Can. is worth $323 U.S. at to-day's exchange rate,not $780 like I had said. I had calculated the exchange in the wrong direction.
Anyway.I bought the 200es that I talked about earlier for $500. It is a 1984. The motor started and ran O.K.,with no noises or smoke. Other than that,it has the usual cracks in the plastic, worn seat,broken controls,etc. The main problems are going to be the siezed front forks,and what
turns out to be a screwed up rear axle rather than a broken drive shaft like I was told on the phone. The wheel hubs had been welded to the axle and when the axle got bent, someone cut it trying to get it apart. What's left of the brakes is siezed on the axle. It looks like I'll probably be better off replacing the whole axle assembly rather than trying to get it apart and hunting for individual parts. Does anyone on the Forum have a 200es axle for sale or know where I could find one at a reasonable price?