PDA

View Full Version : Carb Problems...please look

DeePa
04-27-2005, 01:09 PM
I have a mikuni 24 mm carb. I recently cleaned it and replaced the needle and the needle seat.

Now, when i run the bike, it surges up immediately, well above the idle speed, and the idle screw has no effect whatsoever on it.

The slide had this black **** on it, which I thought was **** built up, because the previous owner didnt really take care of it too well, so i took some fine emery paper and took the black coating off. Does anyone know what this is for?

All clamps and hoses are tight. I had to clean out the pilot jet really well, and used a wire to do it. Could I have damaged the pilot jet, and this be causing my problems?

It kinda sounds like an air leak somewhere, but the only thing I can think of would be the black coating on the slide, but still, where is the air coming from?

Please let me know asap, due to the bike being spart in my garage right now.

Thanks for you help,
Mike

bigredhead
04-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Ouch.. that sucks man.

Was there an o-ring under the plunger cap ? missing ?

Sure does sound like an air leak tho.

Make sure the slide is in the right way and seating properly.. does the thumb/twist thottle feel normal ? springy and returning all the way ? etc...

DeePa
04-27-2005, 01:49 PM
I replaced the oring that seals the cap and thr threads for the cap. WHen i let run for a few mins, there was gas leaking out of the air intake side of the carb. I really have no idea what is going on here.

The slide installs correctly, and seats all the way down where it should. The throttle workes perfectly also.

I'm really stumped at what is going on here.

Thanks for your help,
MIke

jenndnn3
04-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Is your slide piston in backwards?

DeePa
04-27-2005, 01:58 PM
The slide is in correctly

oddball3
04-27-2005, 02:49 PM
make sure the throttle cable is in the barrel all the way on the slide cap.

DeePa
04-27-2005, 03:02 PM
I think i figured it out.

I took the pilot jet out, and put everything back together, then fired it up with the throttle half way depressed.

It fired over, didnt rev up, and didnt idle. Before that, I had everything installed then sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake tubes and nothing happened.

My money is on needing a new pilot jet.

What do you guys think?

Mike