PDA

View Full Version : Got my Speedo Setup Installed on the 350X!

ClayW
04-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Well after a month I finally got my new Speedo setup installed this evening. :naughty: It was a breeze. That setup cost me a fortune. $15. :D Dont ask! If I told you, I would have to hire a hitman to take care of ya. :eek: :p John Swinehart made the Speedo head mount for me. Thanks Bro. You the man. ;) Its in K/HR but who cares, I can convert. I may have to round up a slightly shorter cable. This one works fine, but its got quite a bit of slack. Maybe I ran the cable wrong? Who knows? The only thing I havent figured out is the wiring. I have no directions, and what I tried, works but does so backwards kinda. When the lights are off, its on. When the lights are on its off. WTF. :o Anyway, I installed a new Kenda Front Max A/T on the front. :naughty: I used the bead breaking trick the guy mentioned on the board the other day. I used the front tire/wheel on the Expedition to break it. Left just a little air in the tire, and got the wife to drive up on the edge of the rim slowly and POOF it broke the bead loose. I then bounced it on the ground a couple times and put a little air back in it. Not much. Just enough to keep a little pressure in there. This makes the second side easier to break. Did that and POOF the other broke loose. Took 5 Min. First try. :D 10 minutes later I had the old tire off and the new one on. :naughty: Love the look and handling of that Kenda Front Max. Heres the pics! :beer

350x'inNY
04-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Not bad.... especially for $15 !!!! What did you get the cable from? It's suppose to run between the tire and the fork... there's a lil clamp in the OEM kit to tie it to the lower fork. You can use a zip tie. On the bottom triple there's a back loop that gudes the cable similar to the front brake cable loop on the other tree. I'll scan you the wiring schematic for the speedo. I got it up here now at my house.

Bruce

ClayW
04-21-2005, 09:22 PM
A mutual buddy of ours got it for me. :cool: Im not sure about the routing I made do. Any thing you can scan to me would be appreciated. Yeah you can beat the price. :D

Maine_Triker
04-21-2005, 10:14 PM
OH yeah baby :naughty: :naughty: !!! For $15 you can't go wrong!

I'm still lookin' for a 350x gearbox, turns out the one that I won on eBay was for a 200x!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Phil

Darius1502
04-21-2005, 10:23 PM
beautiful X...man..that thing is awesome!!

ClayW
04-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks man. I bought her about a yr ago for $400 and tore her down and redid her. New everything. Fun bike to ride. :cool:

350x'inNY
04-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Clay, here's a scan of the wiring for the speedo. You can also see the cable routing and that "loop" bracket too.

Bruce

ClayW
04-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks Bruce, I will see what I can come up with this evening. :beer

bigredhead
04-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Love that Front-Max huh !! I got one installed last week and i absolutely love it !

Nice X! !!

ClayW
04-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Yeah I had one on my old SX. Made a huge difference in its handeling. Th :beer anks.

Mr. Sandman
04-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Glad to hear you got your speedo set up. I still need the drive gear for mine on my R, so if anyone has one available out there somewhere, please let me know.

ClayW
04-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Those right hand drive gears are a booger to find. Big time. :( Good Luck!!! :D

Maine_Triker
04-22-2005, 12:46 PM
I have a lead on a couple 350x kits, still waiting to hear back from the dealer. If they have more than 1, I will let you know, Mr. Sandman, cuz a 350X kit will work nicely on a 250R.

Maine_Triker
04-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Actually I know where you can get a 250R speedo, only problem is that it is on an actual 250R. LOL

Mr. Sandman
04-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks MT, let me know what you find out. I've got everything I need but the drive gear and cable but will buy a whole kit if need be.

350x'inNY
04-22-2005, 05:15 PM
I have a lead on a couple 350x kits, still waiting to hear back from the dealer. If they have more than 1, I will let you know, Mr. Sandman, cuz a 350X kit will work nicely on a 250R.

Well..A 250R kit works nicely on a 250R.. If you get more than one, we can maybe have a 3 way deal with Mr Sandman..... I got a brand new NOS HA2 250R mounting kit here. I'd rather have a 350X kit. I was going to use the gearbox and other parts out of it, but if you can find a 350X kit, I'll trade you the 250R one to send out to Sandman. There isn't much difference between the 250R and the 350X kit EXCEPT there's a sub wiring harness for the speedo bulb. The wiring harness runs back to the taillight for power to the speedo on the 250R.

Bruce

Mr. Sandman
04-22-2005, 05:40 PM
It works for me. Let me know what you guys find out and I'll go through all of my speedo stuff to see exactly what all I have, a little from ebay here and a little from Service Honda there, etc. etc.

Maine_Triker
04-22-2005, 06:09 PM
OK that will work. It may take a while for me to get those kits if they even exist, one of those deals where the guys says, "Yeah, I think I have some of those out back". I also asked the same guy about tachs and fender extensions, but he said he had none of those.

jeswinehart
04-23-2005, 07:18 AM
looking good clay ,,, but why is it so crooked , was my bracket that far off.
and while i'm asking ,,, whats up with the missing bolt for the handle bars ?

john

ClayW
04-23-2005, 08:33 AM
I was waiting for that. Well here goes. The position my bars and brake lever/ reservior are in caused me to push the pod forward and down just a bit. I put some different bars on it and it helped quite a bit. The moose bars I had on it didnt work at all. I could rotate the bars back a little, and it would be a little more normal looking. Now to the missing bolt. When I got the bike and took the bent up bars off. that bolt was a bear. I got it out, but it pulled the threads with it. So, I cant put a bolt in there. I could retap it, but I dont have the right tap set. So... I do have another tripple tree thats in good shape that I picked up for 10 bucks. I just havent felt like tearing it down. You may know. Can I take the Top part of the tree off and put the other one on? That would be the easiest thing to do. What do ya think john. :beer

350x'inNY
04-23-2005, 08:44 AM
Yes..... you can swap out just the top part of the tripple tree without changing the rest of it. Changed mine out last year at Trikefest. I had the same exact bolt sheer off in mine.

Did you crack the glass in your speedo too?

Bruce

ClayW
04-23-2005, 08:49 AM
No its not cracked, just a optical illusion I guess. I noticed that. Definately not cracked. I guess that will be my project for the day. :beer