PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clean K&N filters?

BIGCRIP28
04-21-2005, 12:44 PM
mine had one on when i bought it about a year ago.
how do you know when to clean them? mine still looks pretty purple.

bigredhead
04-21-2005, 12:47 PM
That would depend on your riding conditions.

About once every 3 years if i rode in only during winter.

but every 4th ride in my parts during dusty summers.

TravEX
04-21-2005, 01:04 PM
I clean mine once a year, but I clean my Outerwear bout every other ride or so,,,

diggerzmound
04-21-2005, 01:07 PM
A couple years ago I read an article about the problems with K&N filters...

They flow alot of air because there are more small holes in them.. Well the oil is what fills the small hole. So number one is oil it very well.. I also read in the same article that cleaning too often can enlarge the small holes. Actually leaving the K&N filter dirty, let it build up. The dirt becomes oily, and the oily dirt helps keep the smallest aprticles from getting by.. I have had K&N filters on many vehicles one I bought with 96,000 miles, put a K&N on it, and sold it at 218,000. I think I cleaned the filter 4 times. Never had any internal engine problems, I changed a head gasket on the engine cause it was a typical failure, and the cylinders looked nice..
I remember reading on the instructions on the filter it said to use it for at least 10,000 miles before cleaning it....

It boils down to a matter of opinion. But I don't think it is a good idea to clean it until its really dirty... And never blow it out with compressed air...

SoCalDesertRider
04-21-2005, 11:04 PM
I used to clean and re-oil my K&N filter after EVERY weekend of riding. Then I got an Outerwears for it and only cleaned the filter after every other weekend and cleaned the Outerwears after every weekend. Then I looked in the air box snorkel and inside the carb one day when I had it apart and saw all this DIRT in there! I replaced the K&N with a UNI foam filter, clean it and re-oil it after every other weekend of riding, and no dirt in the carb anymore :). I'm not a fan of K&N filters. I also noticed NO difference in preformance when I changed from the K&N to the UNI. For better filtration and the same performance, at half the cost of the K&N filter, the UNI is a much better filter than the K&N :).

TravEX
04-22-2005, 08:17 AM
if you had dirt in the air boot with a 'properly oiled' K&N then you didn't have the filter seated right or tightened down right,,,did the K&N have dirt on the inside of the filter? Was the filter damaged?

BIGCRIP28
04-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Do you use the K&N cleaning kits or what?

TravEX
04-22-2005, 12:40 PM
yes, the K&N recharger kit, it has the cleanig solution and oil, plan on not using the filter for a couple days, i let it sit for a while with the cleaner on it, then overnight to dry, that's why i have 2 K&N's, so i'll always have one on the bike,,,later

bigredhead
04-22-2005, 12:48 PM
EVERY weekend ?

you ride that thing in dust clouds or something ?... wow.

BIGCRIP28
04-22-2005, 12:50 PM
EVERY weekend ?

you ride that thing in dust clouds or something ?... wow.

thats why it didnt work good, he wore the dam thing out.

TimSr
04-25-2005, 11:12 PM
You guys wait months or even a year before cleaning your air filter? On a dusty track its not uncommon for riders to clean filters between motos! I cant get through a whole weekend, when its really dry out without noticing the effects. After a day of riding in hot dry dusty weather, I can feel my machine running richer. Instead of buying an air filter and expecting performance gains, you are a lot futher ahead to clean your existing one a little more often. I cant believe guys will change their case oil after a weekend , and not clean the air filter! Just from the Rumble on the Ridge you can visibly see a thick coating of dust on mine!
Cleaning the filter should be your most frequent maintenance on the machine. Do it after every outing in dry weather. K&N's are easy to clean. Dont waste your money on the KN cleaner. Gasoline works fine, but now I use spray degreaser - greased Lighting or similar. Coat it heavily, give it about 30 seconds, and hit it with some hot water at full pressure from the faucet. Shake it somewhat dry, you can blow it out with an air hose to speed things up, but let it dry completely before applying the oil. Use the K&N pink spray on oil. Its made to work well on these type filters and does not run to the bottom of the filter. It also works great on foam elements. One can lasts me a year doing maybe 50 filter cleanings.
The K&N on my TriZ has been there at least 10 years. Youre not going to wear it out by cleaning it!

BIGCRIP28
04-26-2005, 10:05 AM
tim, the manufacturer says NOT to spray it with compressed air.
also instead of cleaner you can use a strong detergent soap.

ScottZJ
04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
I clean mine everytime I ride, when I splash thru a mud hole! HAHAHA

OH Official way to clean a K&N Filter (http://www.knfilters.com/clningins.htm)

NOS_350X
04-26-2005, 12:03 PM
I clean both (uni and K&n) after every ride if i have time. I change my oil after about every 3 rides or 1 weekend trip.

OldSchoolin86
04-26-2005, 12:58 PM
tim, the manufacturer says NOT to spray it with compressed air.
also instead of cleaner you can use a strong detergent soap.This is true but he said it's been on there for 10 yrs and you can bet your ass TimSr wouldn't be running it if it was harming his motor in any way. I use detergent and let it air dry but to each thier own.