PDA

View Full Version : help with chain on a tri z

TRI Z Racer
04-18-2005, 03:13 PM
i am planning on buying a new chain for this year and i need to know about how many link chain to get. i am going to be running and 2.5'' extended swingarm, 15 or 14 tooth front sprocket and stock rear sprocket. does anyone have a guess as to the length chain i should be looking to pick up, i am planning on the 520 series. can anyone help out?

Mr. Sandman
04-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Count the links on the chain you have and add 2.5" (approx. 3 links) for the longer swinger. You should not need additional length for the larger front sprocket.

OldSchoolin86
04-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Count the links on the chain you have and add 2.5" (approx. 3 links) for the longer swinger. You should not need additional length for the larger front sprocket.
If the swinger is 2.5" longer should he add 5"?

70binder
04-18-2005, 04:08 PM
yes, 2.5" x2 sides = 5"

Mr. Sandman
04-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Good call guys, I missed that!

TRI Z Racer
04-18-2005, 10:40 PM
thanks yalll

Huffa
04-18-2005, 11:15 PM
i am planning on buying a new chain for this year and i need to know about how many link chain to get. i am going to be running and 2.5'' extended swingarm, 15 or 14 tooth front sprocket and stock rear sprocket. does anyone have a guess as to the length chain i should be looking to pick up, i am planning on the 520 series. can anyone help out?

Well I should hope so! That's what comes on them stock so not sure what you mean?

520 o-ring, x-ring or none o-ring? Make sure the tensile strength is plenty strong for that mahine also.

While we are on the chain subject I might as well recommend my choice of chain for you. EK qudra ring jobbers. Not real popular but extremely nice.

http://ekchain.com/atv.htm

diggerzmound
04-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Stock Tri-Z has a 13 tooth front sprocket, a 44 tooth rear sproket and a 520 chain with 98 links..

Same as the 89-04 Warriors, so you can use a chain listed for a warrior...

TRI Z Racer
04-20-2005, 01:40 AM
stock gear on it is the 13 tooth front sprocket. Also i can go out and buy a stock chain for my wheeler, why i asked was because i am going to be running a 2.5'' extended swinger. i didnt know if there was a set standard. Something like 2'' = X links, or 4'' = X links. i was just curios. About the type of chain im going to get, im planning on running just a plain old striaght up chain. there is too much power loss in an oring chain for my liking, something upwards of 5% ish i think.

TRI Z Racer
04-20-2005, 01:43 AM
why do you recomend that particular chain? anything about it that really impressed you?

1984kxtTECATE
04-20-2005, 01:56 AM
D.I.D. X-ring chain, Its better to order a longer chain than you need and cut it down to size, that way you wont have to order 2 chains (I know from experince)

Huffa
04-20-2005, 04:57 AM
stock gear on it is the 13 tooth front sprocket. Also i can go out and buy a stock chain for my wheeler, why i asked was because i am going to be running a 2.5'' extended swinger. i didnt know if there was a set standard. Something like 2'' = X links, or 4'' = X links. i was just curios. About the type of chain im going to get, im planning on running just a plain old striaght up chain. there is too much power loss in an oring chain for my liking, something upwards of 5% ish i think.

With the X-ring chains they have up to 50% less drag the an o-ring. I'll bet if you switched chains (X,O and plain) back & fourth and rode the trike you could not tell the difference. A smaller machine you'd even be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I like the EK's for durability (hardly ever adjust it), it's side plate holes for heat dissapation and the nickel plating they use on the one. It never rust then although the rollers still will if not taken of care of but any chain will do that. This is there quadra X ring I am referring to.

I'm not into the colored chains or the gold ones because eventually the color wears off of edges then looks like crap anyway and besides that I just don't like colored chains period.

Also with an X or O I would think sand could not get in between the plates becuase of the sealing of each rubber ring.

You might save 20-30 bucks possibly on a plain janer but it will catch back up to you eventually.

All this data is from using one on my CRF 450 motocrosser. Many will say DID MAN! but I prefer the EK over them.

TRI Z Racer
04-20-2005, 12:55 PM
thanks, thats some good info. whats one of those quadra x ring chains worth?