PDA

View Full Version : rear 225 shock spring

Huffa
04-17-2005, 04:15 PM
I removed my shock spring to clean shock & paint spring.

I forgot to take note which way it goes back on? The wider spacing of the coils at the bottom (where attaches to swingarm) or at the top?

On page 37 of the yellow owners manual it looks like the wider coil spacing is at bottom but hard to tell for sure.

I really don't think it would make a difference, would it? I want it on the right way though so please check & leave me know.

While I'm on this subject, can it be taken apart to install a new bottoming out bumper? Mine is KAPUT - split all the way through and hard as a rock :cry:

Thanks!

freewheel3
04-17-2005, 06:05 PM
Wider spaces at the top on my DX. I imagine the shock comes apart some way, but I have no idea how.

Huffa
04-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks!

You ever check your bumper to see if it's cracked or hardened?

Thats one thing I don't want OEM. There are much better quality ones out now and a bit wider or i should say longer I guess that will make the bottoming out some what plusher I suppose.

I'll take it down to my racetech suspension guy and see what can be done and let you know, that is if your the least bit interested.

350x'inNY
04-17-2005, 06:48 PM
The writting on the shock is upright and out to the rear so you can read it.

Huffa
04-17-2005, 07:24 PM
The writting on the shock is upright and out to the rear so you can read it.

What?

Sounds like your describing which way the shock goes on the machine? I know that if thats what you mean.

I swear in the manual (page 37) it looks like the wider spaced coils are at the bottom! Maybe Yamaha goofed? What do you guys think? Take a look for yourself.

freewheel3
04-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Huffa, I don't have an owners manual, but I do have a Yamaha service manual (part # 11616-YT-04) & on page 12 it shows a guy removing the shock assy. off of the machine & it shows that the wider spaces are at the bottom. So maybe a previous owner of my unit had it apart & then reassembled it wrong??? The rubber bumper on mine is the opposite of yours, mine is disintegrating - very soft & falling apart. The shock is pressurized w/ nitrogen so be careful if you try to take it apart. Taking it to your suspension guy is probably your best bet.

Huffa
04-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I checked ebay and there are 2- 225 shocks with the tighter wound coil at bottom of shock.

I'm inclined to think it goes that way but either way it should function in the same manner. That's one part you can reverse and won't make a bit of difference, I think. Either way the wider coils will get compressed 1st.