PDA

View Full Version : Well, I got a 200x, now I need help to get it running

Tri-Z Pilot
04-17-2005, 09:36 AM
The 200x that I have now is an 86, and I can sometimes get it to run for a couple of seconds, but then it quits. It has good spark, I have tested the float valve to see if it stops incoming fuel flow,and it did, and when I dumped gasoline down the sparkplug hole, the bike didnt even try to start. The carb has a 122 main jet, and a 33 pilot jet. How can I test the floats to see if they have a pin hole in them and are sinking and flooding the carb, or cant I? Sometimes you can start the bike up and ride it around a little bit, but you cant stab the throttle or it dies, it will rev in neutral though, which made me think it was a lean condition, but I guess the dumping the gas down the sparkplug hole ruled that out. Can someone tell me some diagnostic tests I can do to narrow down the possible problems, I am almost positive it has to be in the fuel delivery, or could it be timing? (I am new to 200x's). I will probably just buy a 200x carb that works for sure, or should I upgrade to a 28mm xr carb, (stock exhaust and intake, I am trying to keep the powerband towards bottom-mid power range). Any help would be appreciated as I have never ridden a 200x and cant wait to rip it around, thanks.

Tri-Z Pilot
04-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Update. I cleaned the carb out using pb blast and an air chuck, and I put the carb on and it started up with about 5 kicks, after that you could start it with about one kick, but if you try to snap the throttle, try to ride it or turn the choke on it dies. You can get to full throttle in neutral if you gradually increse the throttle, but it will die when you wick it, what would cause that? I need some guesses as to if it is the carb, elctronics, or the timing, as I have never expieienced something like this before.

jenndnn3
04-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Is this trike built? you said a 122 main jet?? Mine runs a 108.

Tri-Z Pilot
04-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Stock as far as I know, dont really have the details on it, that wouldnt affect the starting or 1/4 to 1/2 throttle response would it? I checked the oil, put some in it, and then it stared up and I could actually ride it around under 1/4 throttle, I.m thinking this was just a quincedance (sp?). What is your pilot jet?

jenndnn3
04-20-2005, 08:28 PM
My pilot is stock, your main wont effect the startup too much. there is a nifty chart floating around that shows what each jet effects...

Tri-Z Pilot
04-20-2005, 08:51 PM
What is your pilot number? I'm thinking that the carb is flooding, but the bike wouldnt even idle if it was flooding right?

83185s
04-20-2005, 09:31 PM
ive got a 40 pilot and 98 main on my 185 carb thats on my 200x..its runs fine..even with the 12:1 in there..everything else is stock even the exhuast

brapp
04-21-2005, 01:01 PM
what town are you close to, i was gonna say nex ttiem i go out to shade gap i cna bring my 86x out and we can try out my carb?

Tri-Z Pilot
04-21-2005, 06:26 PM
what town are you close to, i was gonna say nex ttiem i go out to shade gap i cna bring my 86x out and we can try out my carb?
I'm close to state college, about 20 miles north.
83185s, I have a #33 pilot, too small maybe? How does the idle mixture screw work? In to richen, out to lean, I have it at 1.0 turns out right now.

oddball3
04-22-2005, 02:05 PM
try lowering the clip on your needle. had to do that with a 125m I was working on. The fuels have changed since the mid 80s, seems like you have to richen them up a little.