PDA

View Full Version : Chain questions

1shot
04-16-2005, 10:55 PM
On the newest family member I don't see a chain tensioner, Does the 185 have one?

I also wondered what kind of oil you should use to lube the chain?

And lastly, I was wondering how much slack is normal / advised?

This bike has about 2" of slack in it and no way I can see to adjust it. :wondering

350x'inNY
04-16-2005, 11:16 PM
What's the "newest" family member? All I see is a Shaft Drive Big Red in your avatar! EDIT - Oops.... getting late... I assume its a 185? See bolded part below...

Depending on the trike, look for either a concentric rear bearing carrier for the axle that will rotate and extend the distance between the sprockets.(350X, later 250R's) Another way to adjust is the swingarm bolt adjusts forward and back (81-82R, 200X). Seems like my 82-83 Big Red had 4 bolts you loosened that held the rear axle carrier, then you adjusted a bolt with 2 lock nuts that helped pivot the rear axle housing backwards. Try looking for any of these ways to adjust your chain..... or even better.... find yourself a owner's manual or a repair manual! Good luck man!

Bruce

MTS
04-16-2005, 11:19 PM
there should be a tensinor on the bottem right bolt that holds the carrier to the frame of the bike, to tighten the chain you have to losen all 4 bolts then use the tensinor to set the tension which should be between 10-20mm or 0.4-0.8 in, thats mesuring from the top of the chain and lifting it up...hope this helps

1shot
04-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys, I helps alot.
I have tried to get numerous manuals on ebay but keep losing them since I work alot and cant seem to stay on top of the bidding. Nobody sells them around here and to get one I have to travel to Phoenix which is about 125 miles to the Honda shop.

MTS
04-16-2005, 11:35 PM
use www.esnipe.com works good and you dont gota be around to win the auction!

ATCnut
04-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Or just go the www.helminc.com and buy the manual. You might pay a couple of more bucks than ebay, but you will have it sooner.