PDA

View Full Version : What now!!!!!!!!!???????

Savage99
04-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Just got my 1982 atc 200 together and running once again. I was really excited to get the thing running and finally out. Well I got it running and went for a ride around the block....went pretty smooth until I got it into the garage and I was letting it idle. It ran for a bit and then it stalled. I went to start it again and was really hard to pull. I took the pull stater off to eliminate that as the problem and tried to turn the engine over and it was almost solid. I pulled the plug (it looked great) and put some oil down the hole, now I can turn the engine over but its still a little tight.

I am thinking that maybe the oil pump was not working???? How do you check to see if the piston is getting oil???? Anyone have any other ideas??? I could really use some help here...before I took it apart for cleaning and paint it ran good!!!!

Thanks.

Mark.

Update: Took the engine out and took it apart. Jug and cylinder look fine. Camshaft looks a little dry and discolored (like it was heating up)...a little oil in there, not much. Couldn't find anything that would have physically bound it up. Help would be appriciated.

MTS
04-16-2005, 11:13 PM
to check if your oil pump is working-while the motor is assembld take the valve caps off wipe the oil off of them and pull the motor over, you should be getting oil comin up onto them, or if you can get it to start again just take em off and see if theres any oil there, did you use ANY silicon or RTV on the motor anywhere? if not check all the oil ports going up to the head, if you need an oil pump i think i got one round hear....
EDIT: just seen that you took the motor apart, just pull the motor over while its on the bench with the top end/head what ever you have off and look at the oil ports that run up the head studs, a few of them are larger and when you pull the motor over a bunch you should see oil comin out of it.....should be the ones with the little alinghment pin that is in the head, thos studs is where the oil should be comin out..

jeswinehart
04-16-2005, 11:33 PM
try loosing up the c.d.i. base on the upper portion. i know that sounds totally off the wall but had a honda motor i had to loosen up the c.d.i. base on to pull over freely. it was putting alot of force on the camshaft end.

john

Savage99
04-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I did use RTV for the top end. You can't get a gasket for the valve cover and in the manual it says to use gasket maker (I thought it did anyway). Why do you ask??? Oh yeah....I don't think that I have any oil coming up the oil ports but since I have the jug off I can't pull it over too hard. Tomorrow I will put the jug back on and check this out. I may have another oil pump as well but I sure would like to know if thats it before I have to take the entire engine apart again. Thanks for the help so far.

Mark.

MTS
04-17-2005, 12:07 AM
yea i know you cant get a gasket for the Rocker box , i ask if you use RTV becuse it can peel off in the motor and clog up the oil ports- use threebond 1104 semi-drying liquid gasket for them when you need to-it wont wreck stuff and its cheaper than a tube of RTV and works better....its at the local motorycycle shops in stuff just ask parts :)

Savage99
04-17-2005, 01:06 AM
How do you make sure the oil ports are all clear...the ones in the bottom case I mean????

How do you check the oil pump...can you tell visibly if its gone?

Mark.

Savage99
04-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Well, I took anther look this morning and the bearing on the end of the camshaft isfrozen on there good. I have no idea how to get it off of there. Not sure if there is any other damage. Cam lobes still look OK. I think I will be OK if I can get the bearing to move free once more and then get oil flow happening once again. Anyone have any ideas????? PLease help....never had to deal with this one yet.

Mark.

chris200x
04-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Those bearings are pressed in there by a special machine. I think in order to remove/replace them you will have to take it to a dealership.

Howdy
04-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Those bearings are pressed in there by a special machine. I think in order to remove/replace them you will have to take it to a dealership.

Sorry but your wrong! The bearing is not pressed on. The cam should slide into the bearing smoothly by hand.

Well, I took anther look this morning and the bearing on the end of the camshaft isfrozen on there good. I have no idea how to get it off of there. Not sure if there is any other damage. Cam lobes still look OK. I think I will be OK if I can get the bearing to move free once more and then get oil flow happening once again. Anyone have any ideas????? PLease help....never had to deal with this one yet.

Mark.

This topic has come up on the forums before. On most all of them I have ever seen siezed ( on 83-85 185-200cc motors ), the problem was caused by people using silicone on the gaskets. What happens is the silicon plugs the oil passages. Normally the one at the cylinder base, other at the right side cover oil port.

If the bearing is seized / stuck on the cam it is junk, and it will need replaced.
Howdy

chris200x
04-17-2005, 10:52 AM
I thought he was talking about taking the bearings out. (the ones on the inside of the engine cases.) I always thought all those bearings inside the motor had to be installed/removed by using a press. Sorry, my bad.

Savage99
04-17-2005, 11:59 AM
OK I have anther camshaft so all I need is another bushing so thats not too bad. Now I just have to figure why I am not getting oil up to the valves. How do I check and clean these ports out to eliminate them as the cause. From what I have gathered here it seems that that is my problem an if not it's my oil pump. It seems that this has happened to others here before so any tips or suggestions would be appriciated. Also, thanks for the help so far.

Mark.

Savage99
04-17-2005, 01:14 PM
I am a little confussed...I have the head back on the engine and when I crank the engine over I now have oil comming up the head bolts but it is comming up the ones on the right side of the engine...not the ones with the locating dowels. I thought that the ones with the locating dowels are the oil ports. Also on the locating dowels is there supposed to be o-rings? On the crankcase, where the locating dowel is there is a o-ring there but the locating dowel is place over it so the o-ring is in the hole...is this correct?

Mark.

MTS
04-17-2005, 01:52 PM
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~mp_id~~mscssid~NW29CQ8QHJEB8HRR 80JNX6H057*82AE3~schem_dept_id~179602~section_dept _id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept _type_id~2~model_dept_year~1982~model_dept_mfr~Hon da~model_dept_id~179171~model_dept_name~ATC200.asp
are your dowles set in the right hole like this in the aove link?

MTS
04-17-2005, 01:54 PM
I am a little confussed...I have the head back on the engine and when I crank the engine over I now have oil comming up the head bolts but it is comming up the ones on the right side of the engine...not the ones with the locating dowels. I thought that the ones with the locating dowels are the oil ports. Also on the locating dowels is there supposed to be o-rings? On the crankcase, where the locating dowel is there is a o-ring there but the locating dowel is place over it so the o-ring is in the hole...is this correct?

Mark.
the o-ring should be on the outside of the locating dowel

Savage99
04-17-2005, 02:05 PM
The locating dowels are OK on top of the jug with the exception of the o-ring. What about on top of the crankcase before the jug goes on. Are those locating dowels supposed to have o-rings inside the case (and outside the locating dowels)???

Mark.

MTS
04-17-2005, 02:21 PM
from what i can gather the left side has dowels and no orings on the base
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~mp_id~~mscssid~NW29CQ8QHJEB8HRR 80JNX6H057*82AE3~schem_dept_id~179346~section_dept _id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept _type_id~2~model_dept_year~1982~model_dept_mfr~Hon da~model_dept_id~179171~model_dept_name~ATC200.asp

Savage99
04-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Ok now I got it....I think. Hey MyTrikeSucks any clue what a new camshaft bushing is going to cost me????

Thanks for the help.

Mark.

MTS
04-17-2005, 07:09 PM
havent a clue, will have to call honda tommrow....dont cheap out and try and re-use it tho they are junk-my friends tried that numerous times...lol