PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Problem???

PWRHOUSS
04-14-2005, 04:36 PM
I have an 85 Big Red 250. It runs fine, but I can only kick start it. When I push the start button with the key on, nothing happens. I put a new battery in so I know it isn't that. When I turn the key to ON, nothing happens. No lights or anything. I figured since I can kick start it, the problem is either in the ignition switch or starter switch. Any help is appreciated!!!

TRI Z Racer
04-14-2005, 05:11 PM
im not sure on the big red, but if it has a battery, id imagine it has fuses, check your fuses first. on my brothers bayou he has one right on the ignition solenoid. if your battery is good id imagine its something simple like this. hope it helps

BIGCRIP28
04-15-2005, 08:40 AM
our ignition switch got bad and when its was in neutral and you turn the key on it wouldnt show anything and it wouldnt let you start. we had to hold the key slightly back toward the off position to get it to connect and show the light then start it.

ATCnut
04-15-2005, 09:40 PM
I have been troublshooting a couple of big reds. If the lights do not come on from the battery, the electric starter will not work. They get there power from the same place. There are two fuses in the box behiend the headlight, one goes to a pink wire, and the other one to another color. The pink wire fuse is for the aux outlet, the other one is for everything else. Check that fuse. If the fuse is good, then disconnect the plug with two big wires, that is from the ignition switch. Jumper the plug that is inside the rubber part and see if you get lights. If that fixes the problem, then the key switch is bad. Does the key stop the motor? or only the kill switch on the handlebars.

PWRHOUSS
04-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Both the key and the kill switch on the handlebars stop the motor. I'll check the fuses and wires. Thanks for the info!!

ATCnut
04-17-2005, 12:45 AM
There is also a fuse back by the battery, it is a 20 amp inside a little carrier thing. You really need to get a wiring diagram and carefully check out each connection.