PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Q's about 86 200x

Tri-Z Pilot
04-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I may be trading my 85 tri-z project for an 86 200x that needs work, here are the details. 200x doesnt like to run for more than 10 minutes, (owner says he thinks the carb is flooding out), has tried adjusting it, but he doesnt know what he's doing. The bike has a stitched up front fender and headlight assembly, new seat cover, the front downtube on the frame was welded about half way down, is this a common breaking point? rear fenders are faded but good, and the metal tank has a dent from a roll over, (I thought 86/87's had plastic tanks)? The brakes work, new front tire and new rears, (tire wont hold air though), and the bike has good compression, (it's a lot harder to kick over than a tri-z).
I guess what I am really asking is, do the symptoms sound like carb trouble, (the last plug was black), or possible ignition trouble. How much would a used front fender, headlight assembly,and gas tank run (faded ok, just no cracks or stitches)
If the carb turns out to be shot, should I go with another 200x carb or try the 28mm version off of an xr200, (I forget which year carb), or is that too much carb for a stock 200x? How much would this 200x cost outright?
Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I dont know much about 200x's, thanks.

grundlegrabber
04-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Hard to say without seeing pics, but I'd say it's probably a $500 200X. As far as I know all 200X had metal tanks. Good luck finding one without dents for less than $100. Maybe someone still makes an aftermarket plastic tank? If the plug was black, it's running rich (improper jetting, choke stuck closed). Start with a good thorough carb rebuilding and see what happens. Tires most likely have bead leaks. My buddy is a tire pro. Smetimes I have rims with a small ding in the bead area and it will leak there. Common problem. Break beads and use bead sealer on the rim, that should cure it.

Tri-Z Pilot
04-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Yeah, that's where it leaks, the beads. What is this bead sealer stuff, does it have another name?

90nut
04-12-2005, 09:30 PM
If you need any 86 parts let me know. I have a complete 86 that I am getting ready to part out. Everything is good except the engine which has a broken connecting rod. Sounds like it could be a fuel problem but who knows.

brettsky43
05-11-2008, 11:17 PM
I have an AWESOME headlight for the 86 200x for sale!! bjrose@woh.rr.com.. I also have 2 carbs, but they are for the 83-85 200x..they changed things up some on your 2nd generation 200x. LMK if interested in headlight. ~Brett~