PDA

View Full Version : Sunk my Tri-moto

400ccHomemade
04-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Quick story for ya'll on this monday morning. I have a low spot in my woods near my house. It's about 50 feet across. When it gets real wet, it floods. Usually it gets about 2 feet deep, but now it's about 3 feet deep. I was playing in it yesterday, doing just fine. I was standing on the seat so my feet wouldn't get wet. Then, with no warning, it stalled. RIGHT smack dab in the middle of the "swamp" as I call it. So there I was, standing on the seat, 25 feet in any direction from dry ground. I put it in neutral, reached down into the water, and pulled the rope. Bang. Nope, water got into the motor. D'OH! So, I decided to just hang out and think about my situation a bit before I jumped into the water, as the water was no more than 40 degrees. A few cars drove by on the road, just looking funny at me. Then I get an idea. I reached down into the water, and popped the rear body off. Tossed it into the water, and it floated away. Then took off my helmet, and threw it as hard as I could. It made it to dry ground. About this time I realized that tri-moto 125's float. One wheel at a time though. The front wheel would bob up without warning, or maybe a rear wheel. Very scary. The neighbors heard me going "WHOAH!" every few minutes. Ok. So, I stood on the frame, facing backward. Then, I physically reached down and turned the rear wheels backward with my hands. So, I actually drove the trike out by turning the rear wheels with my hands. Took about 20 minutes to "drive" it out in this manner. So, trike was out, and my feet were dry. Alright. Ok, now I have to get the body that is floating in the swamp. I managed to fish it out with a big stick.
Ok. Now, time to asses the damage. Tryed to pull the rope again, nope. Walked back to the house, got my 400 homemade trike and some tools, rode back down. Pulled the plug, pulled the rope. "PSHT-PSHT-PSHT-PSHT!!!" Water shot out about 30 feet in the air. Turn the trike on it side, pull some more. "PSHT-PSHT-PSHT-PSHT!!!" Drain the gas, drain the lines, drain the floatbowls, etc, etc, etc. Filled it with fresh gas and some dry gas. Finally, after about a half hour, it refired. Alright. What a stupid adventure, but I did still have dry feet! :Bounce :TrikesOwn

bigredhead
04-11-2005, 08:53 AM
:p don't forget to change the crank oil ! and empty the airbox.

And it would have been faster to just jump in and push it out.

good reason to clean your sneakers !! LOL....

crackshot
04-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Did that on my 185s flipping it over in canal and was 15 feet deep.
The trike will float if it flips upside down in deep water.
Took about 2 gallons of el-cheapo oil getting all the water out of crankcase.

400ccHomemade
04-11-2005, 09:27 AM
It's 2 stroke, I will look for a drain plug in the case though.

bigredhead
04-11-2005, 09:28 AM
2 stroke or not.. is still has tranny oil !!!

Do you never check your gear oil ??????

Darius1502
04-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Take out the spark plug, drain the oil, take off the air filter. Put her on her side and pull the start till all the 'wa wa' comes out.

Bender
04-11-2005, 10:52 AM
I dont know what the big deal about getting your feet wet was, but it would have been alot easier to jump in and push it out.

400ccHomemade
04-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Jeeze, just thought I'd tell a quick story to entertain everyone for a minute or 2, but all the replies are like almost annoyed or wish I jumped in.

dizasterzrfun69
04-11-2005, 11:13 AM
it's an entertaining story but it never hurts to GET MUDDY! haha I love mud!

Kevin

bigredhead
04-11-2005, 11:23 AM
The bottom must have been pretty solid ..... if you get stuck in holes 2ft deep around these parts.. the motor won't turn the wheels....LOL......

that had to have been a funny sight.

Kodak moment !

400ccHomemade
04-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Ya, it's weird how solid it is. The water gets deep, but there's really no "mud" to speak of. Must be a lot of rock just under the surface.

Banage
04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Funny i Want riding with a bunch of friends, and on this trail i always went first with my big red, But then i went %100 under. I was standing on the seat knee deep, not 3 feet of a pull start after dumping out the exhaust, she ran like it never happend.

mad_max
04-11-2005, 06:11 PM
I ran a ATC70 into a lake once... bent a valve......not good.

ATC-Eric
04-11-2005, 07:15 PM
ive sank my 200s a couple times. i didnt take the correct steps after that (should have torn the motor apart) now my rings are shot :cry: this thing smokes worse then a pingr! its in the garage waiting for that rebuild fund to kick in

Oldshell4481
04-11-2005, 08:13 PM
alright, so if ** ridin around in a mudpit and the mud comes up ofer the crankcase, you aint gonna mess up the machine will you?

bigredhead
04-11-2005, 09:14 PM
depends on your definition of " mess up ".

hotroddal
04-11-2005, 09:22 PM
on my 250es big red i have whent where all my frineds with quads dont go, evrytime i go riding with them and i wana go riding i always end up pulling everyone else out and i barely ever get stuck, ive been over both the front and the rear racks at the same time with that beast, ill tell ya a quick story this one time i was riding with one of my frineds and he told me i could lead the way and i stumbled across this mud holeabout 25 feet long so i just pop it in 2nd gear and barely past idle and creep in and about 1/4 the way in it all of a sudden drops off and all of a sudden im about 1 inch over both racks and it gets deeper so i figured if i kept going i might kill the engine so i just hopped off and it rose up about 1 foot higher and i just walked her right out, so i flag my friend to come over and he doesnt even make it 1/4 way in and hes stuck so i had to get out the old tow strapand yank him outa there and we continue on.

ATC-Eric
04-11-2005, 09:24 PM
as long as the machine is still running, the mudd, water and crap should not get in.

so no, you will not ruin your machine.

its just when water goes in your intake or exhaust