PDA

View Full Version : riding a 250r

80'427
04-10-2005, 10:44 AM
I was riding my 250r last night (with no brakes). I guess I have never ridden a 2 stroke atv before ( rode some 70s dirt bikes) so I have a couple of questions. How uses full is 1st gear? It seems to be hitting a rev limiter or something cause 1st is gone before 1/4 throttle. Then after that it pulls hard in all the gears (at least to 4th, remember no brakes). Maybe it was just cold. I guess I have a lot to learn about 2 strokes. Anyone have some starting suggestions it took me like 10-15 kicks. I think it was just finding the right combonation. of throttle and choke. The guy I bought it from was scared to ride it after seeing his buddy pull a long wheele so he never rode it. All he said was he was told to "always run a ngk and some 2 stroke oil with a black bottle and gold writing". Any ideas. Of and the ride was awsome even if no brakes make me skeert.

shudup
04-10-2005, 12:13 PM
you could check yo see if gearing has been lowered and if shorter tires in rear will also lower gearing, but 1st gear does go quick may just need to get used to it.
the oil he was talking about sounds like golden spectro i think
just be shure to use a good name brand oil and you should be safe

as for starting it you will get used to it more. someone who rides one more than me sould be able you some pointers

Dammit!
04-10-2005, 02:12 PM
A good running R should start very very easy. If you're always having to kick it 15 times to get it started, either you're doing something wrong or something is wrong with it. How's your compression? Getting a good spark? Does it idle once you get it started?

Most R's will start right up. Use the choke if it's been sitting overnight or if it's cold out, give it about a quarter throttle as you kick it. If it's not cold out you might have to turn the choke back off pretty mich right after it starts.

85 250sx
04-10-2005, 07:14 PM
yeah what Dammit said a good running 250r should start first kick most every time

80'427
04-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Well it must be just getting use to it. I was scared of the brakes cause it had none but after finding and repairing a frozen rear master cylinder at least it will stop. I figured out unless you are at a complete stop 1st is worthless. Now I got it so it starts in 4-5 kicks so must just be me. It idles right after I kick start it. It looks like I am going to spend about $200-250 to get it nearly perfect to ride. Not to bad since I spent $1025 on it. Really happy and I have only used 5 gear so far. I think with the 22" tires 6 may be too fast. Of course now I am looking at plastic and a pipe.