PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225 & 200 axle comparison - quite interesting!

Huffa
04-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Here is the quick story. Got 225 axle off ebay - wrong one, it is for a 200.

Couldn't tell if it would fit till I took 225 apart.

Differences

1) 200 axle IS stronger then the 225 (no idea why though??). 200 axle weighs a full 1 lb more then 225. Diameter as far as where axle goes from hub to bearing housing is a lot thicker on 200. That's where it gets most the extra weight from.

2) all the splines are identical and spaced the same apart

3) have the same bearings but on one side a different seal - no biggie, just used the 225 seal

4) the threaded axle ends are much beefier (a bit more weight) and a bit longer on the 200. 225 - 1/2" diameter........200 - 3/4" ! You can see in rim picture.

5) tires fit on exactly as on the 225 axle and clearence is the same. Only exception is #4.

????? :wondering ?????? I forgot to note which way the bevel part of the axle tightening nuts (picture of them) go? Do the bevels on each nut go towards the bearing or face the tire or one goes opposite? I'd really appreciate someone to check theirs out closely and leave me know. Thank you

I have it back off because I got a heck of a lot more to do concerning cleaning other parts and maintenence. Rotor slips right on and the spacing is the same.

Just though I'd pass the word that it should work. Anyone think of anything I forgot to check, let me know.

????????Are the threaded axle ends hard to drill a hole through? Reason I ask is the stock hole is out way too far.

Either I could drill hole farther in to line up where nut is tightened or make a collar to space nut out to stock hole but that would look pretty stupid I think?

Huffa
04-09-2005, 05:06 PM
Here you can see the difference in diameter between the two. 200 on L, 225 on R with the caliper set from 200 width. Well the guage moved just a hair but you get the picture.

thefox
04-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Nice info. Huffa. Bruce had made a post about this a little while back and no one knew if the two were really interchangable even though they seem like they should be.

4cylinders
04-09-2005, 06:21 PM
hey, just put a washer under the nut.

thefox
04-09-2005, 06:33 PM
hey, just put a washer under the nut.

There should be one that goes on there, was it missing from the 225?

350x'inNY
04-09-2005, 09:58 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=30047&highlight=Axle+Dura%2A

So let me know if those axles are interchangable.... Other than the size of the end axle nuts, I couldn't see much difference in them. I wanna put the Durablue extended axle on my 85 YTM200ERN.

Bruce

thefox
04-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Reason I ask is the stock hole is out way too far.

Do you have the hub nut for the 200 axle to try on? It is a big nut.

Huffa
04-09-2005, 10:21 PM
There should be one that goes on there, was it missing from the 225?

The 225 axle has the nuts and special beveled washers. The 200 axle did not come with them. I imagine it must be one heck of a wide nut and have quite a long cotter extension on it for to reach the hole on end of axle. Anyone know how long the 200 nut is? Total length including the cotter section? This would solve everything for me if it as long as I suspect.

Just look how far it sticks out of the hub hole in the picture. Thats why I think the nut must be real long? Granted a heavy duty beveled washer will take up some space.

Update: Judging from this 84 200 pic of axle it does look like the nut is quite long. Just seems weird how far it sticks out of hub. Can someone please check how far their 200 does? AND (asked in earlier thread) how the axle lock nuts go on!

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/schematics/Yamaha/YA4886_45.gif

Huffa
04-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Do you have the hub nut for the 200 axle to try on? It is a big nut.

I didn't see this thread at 1st and thats what I gather that it is larger then what I am used to seeing. In case you missed it, I don't have the 200 nuts or washers.

Funny thing is a nut & washer cost 8.57 so I'm at a bit over $17. I'm sure I can find them used though. . I only paid 10.50 for the whole axle assembly + the housing ! :D Well + 18 shipping. The guy (3WW member) sent me my $$ back because it was the wrong one judging from the housing and axle thread thickness and did not want it back!

If it does work out, which I see no reason why not (I did have it on) I will then send his $$ back again! :rolleyes: At the moment I can't remember his name.

At the time I won it I had no idea he was a 3WW member. All in all, a very good deal I'd say! Could not have been used much at all.

Huffa
04-09-2005, 10:51 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=30047&highlight=Axle+Dura%2A

So let me know if those axles are interchangable.... Other than the size of the end axle nuts, I couldn't see much difference in them. I wanna put the Durablue extended axle on my 85 YTM200ERN.

Bruce

Main difference is the 200 diameter from hub to beginning of splines is a lot thicker and like you mentioned, the threaded portion of axle ends & nuts.

Why in the world would they make it weaker on the 225? :wondering Has to be a reason. I'm sure it's exactly the same metal used. At least I think it is?

350x'inNY
04-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Main difference is the 200 diameter from hub to beginning of splines is a lot thicker and like you mentioned, the threaded portion of axle ends & nuts.

Why in the world would they make it weaker on the 225? :wondering Has to be a reason. I'm sure it's exactly the same metal used. At least I think it is?

Well... you got to look at the intended uses of the machines... 200ERN was a utility work trike. Racks and trailer hitch... no suspension too!

The 225DX was more of a sport/trail trike... didn't have to be as 'heavy duty' as the 200 utility plus with some rear suspension, probably less stress on the axle. Less weight for the sport trike too!

thefox
04-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Well... you got to look at the intended uses of the machines... 200ERN was a utility work trike. Racks and trailer hitch... no suspension too!

The 225DX was more of a sport/trail trike... didn't have to be as 'heavy duty' as the 200 utility plus with some rear suspension, probably less stress on the axle. Less weight for the sport trike too!

hahaha, I think that is the first time I have heard the 225dx referred to as a sport trike! Good point though, I never really thought of it like that, your probably right.

Huffa
04-10-2005, 12:43 AM

I don't know a whole lot about the 200's and thought they did have a rear suspension (learn something every day!). In my case though it should have been as heavy duty as the 200. Maybe if it had, the 200 axle on in the 1st place (production wise) it wouldn't be bent right now?

I see your point but think they should have kept the same axle on both. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just have the same on all from a tooling point of veiw or not?

200 is more utility but then is natured to go slower speeds where the 225 goes faster and the rear naturally takes more of a pounding even though it has suspension so it seems to balance all out.

I have to keep asking till someone tells me. Which way do the beveled axle lock nuts go? Bevel out (towards tire) or in (toward bearing) ?

Shouldn't have to take them off to tell but if crudy you'll have to clean them to see. Might have to loosen them a bit too. Guess maybe I'm asking a bit too much of a favor? Set your beer down , take 10 and check for me, WILL YOU!!! :mad:

freewheel3
04-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Huffa, the 200 nut is approx. 7/8" long with a collar behind it that is approx. 3/8" long. My DX nut & collar (washer) are only 3/4" long together. Let me know if you need a picture of either set up.

Huffa
04-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Huffa, the 200 nut is approx. 7/8" long with a collar behind it that is approx. 3/8" long. My DX nut & collar (washer) are only 3/4" long together. Let me know if you need a picture of either set up.

Hey thats spot on and thanks for the info!

So the total is 1 &1/4. My hole is out 1&1/4 too.

:wondering Still don't understand why they didn't make it (threaded part) shorter though and just use a beveled washer like on the 225? Seems to stick out so far? :wondering

I sure ain't complaining though as the 200 axle set up will take more abuse then the wimpo 225 axle :D

One more ? now that I keep asking over and over. The axle lock nuts that tighten the axle on........which way does the beveled part of nuts go? Toward the bearing or the wheel? Picture of it in my 1st post or so.

freewheel3
04-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Huffa, I was just out working on my 84 DX & then I remembered that I forgot (in my previous post) to mention that the axle nuts on all 3 of my YTMs both bevels are to the inside. As for the different axle lengths, who knows?. All I can say is that both the 200 & 225 have approx. 1/8 of threaded shaft sticking out past the top of the cotter key area on the nuts. Hope this helps.

Huffa
04-10-2005, 02:42 PM
It helps alot but I'm taking about the large nuts that thread on the axle on one sde and tighten the axle up in against the housing.

Has nothing to do with what I just said but can you take a digi of your 200 axle nut & axle end with the wheel on. I just want to see exactly how it looks.

freewheel3
04-10-2005, 02:50 PM
There are 2 nuts on the left side of the diff housing. You need a special wrench to loosen them (or a pipe wrench). I believe the outer one is a lock nut for the inner one. The bevels on both nuts are toward the bearing, hope this clears it up for you. I will go take a picture of my 200 axle & try posting it but I have never done that before so it might take a few attempts.

Huffa
04-10-2005, 03:45 PM
10-4 on that and thank you much!

Once you get the posting pics down, lets see a bunch of your wheelers!

freewheel3
04-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Here are some pics (maybe). The inner axle nut appears to be thicker & has more of a bevel on it.