PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars - what kind you have?

Huffa
04-07-2005, 07:29 PM
I want to replace the stock Yamaha bars on my 225. I don't like the bend of them (too much sweep) and I don't like the cheap looks of them either. Chrome steel or aluminum ones will do just fine.

I don't want to spend a fourtune either. Around 30-$50 at the most. Realize the 50 might be a bit low for aluminum ones.

Any good suggestions are surely appreciated!

Thanks!

crackshot
04-07-2005, 07:40 PM
I just use the stock bars on my Hondas.
Have a pair of dirt bike bars but were way too low and knees damn near hit them when riding!

Wickedfinger
04-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro-Tapers, 250R bend.

BRAD 250R
04-08-2005, 04:56 PM
I Got Some Moose Bars For 18.00, Sounds Cheap But They Work Really Good.

Huffa
04-08-2005, 06:13 PM
I Got Some Moose Bars For 18.00, Sounds Cheap But They Work Really Good.

I saw them. While they will work good they will also bend good too. :D

Not very often you flip them over or fall on the side though but when you do it doesn't take much to bend them.

Still though, for 18 bucks they are a good deal. I just want something a bit stronger.

edog
04-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I use Mini Mcgrathes Renthal for a dirtbike,5/8 i belive,and aluminum.I paid $60 for them.$20 for the firm Renthal grips.I also put on Moose aluminum brush gaurds,they were $40.Then i put on the plastic brush gaurd covers,they were $20.
This is what they look like,hope you like. :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

Huffa
04-08-2005, 06:55 PM
I use Mini Mcgrathes Renthal for a dirtbike,5/8 i belive,and aluminum.I paid $60 for them.$20 for the firm Renthal grips.I also put on Moose aluminum brush gaurds,they were $40.Then i put on the plastic brush gaurd covers,they were $20.
This is what they look like,hope you like. :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce :Bounce

I love that whole set up and remember well you having the guards on.

?'s though........ Since they are mini bars aren't they too low (heigth) and narrow (width) wise? How do they compare to the stock ones? They are (tube diameter) 7/8...not 5/8 just to leave you know.

If you don't have your old bars I'll measure mine. Can you measure the renthals up for me?

How tall are you also? I'm 6' even.

I just might eventually do a copy job as I have always run guards on my motoxer's.

edog
04-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Well i'm 6' 4" and they are perfect for my legs.They should work well for you.I new that 5/8 th's were wrong, just seeing if you were paying attention......LOL.

BRAD 250R
04-08-2005, 07:06 PM
I saw them. While they will work good they will also bend good too. :D

Not very often you flip them over or fall on the side though but when you do it doesn't take much to bend them.

Still though, for 18 bucks they are a good deal. I just want something a bit stronger.

WELL I'VE HAD THESE BARS FOR A WHILE NOW, AND I RIDE BASICALLY EVERY WEEKEND. MY STYLE OF RIDING IS GOING TO GLAMIS, PISMO, DESSERT AND TRAIL RIDING. I'LL BE HONEST, I RIDE HARD ALL THE TIME. I'VE DONE MY SHARE OF CRASHING AND ROLLING MY TRIKE ON IT'S SIDE. THESE BARS MIGHT BE CHEAP, BUT ALL THE THINGS I BEEN THRU, THESE BARS HAVEN'T BENT OR CRACKED YET. MAYBEE I'VE HAD GOOD LUCK?????

x.system
04-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Add a couple hundred to your budget and you can have a set of these :D

http://flexxhandlebars.com/html/flexx_bars.html

Huffa
04-08-2005, 07:13 PM
WELL I'VE HAD THESE BARS FOR A WHILE NOW, AND I RIDE BASICALLY EVERY WEEKEND. MY STYLE OF RIDING IS GOING TO GLAMIS, PISMO, DESSERT AND TRAIL RIDING. I'LL BE HONEST, I RIDE HARD ALL THE TIME. I'VE DONE MY SHARE OF CRASHING AND ROLLING MY TRIKE ON IT'S SIDE. THESE BARS MIGHT BE CHEAP, BUT ALL THE THINGS I BEEN THRU, THESE BARS HAVEN'T BENT OR CRACKED YET. MAYBEE I'VE HAD GOOD LUCK?????

I'd have to say you had VERY good luck! Usually cheap steel jobs bend very easily and sometimes you can't tell their bent till you take the bar pad off (if you have one) then you can see they are slightly tweaked when aligning them up with the bar clamp bolts.

Huffa
04-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Add a couple hundred to your budget and you can have a set of these :D

http://flexxhandlebars.com/html/flexx_bars.html

I saw those a year back or so. They got rave reveiws by many. Way too expensive for me though. They are a nice set up but sure they must weigh quite a bit more also. Don't believe they would fit the stock 7/8" clamps though. You would need bar clamp adapters to go on the stock 7/8 that will except 1&1/8" bars.

Like these.......http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=898&department=656&Division=6

HMMMM........that would be way cool. They raise the height one inch and then put beefy 1&1/8 bars on. Problem is, do they make them (1&1/8 bars) for ATV's? I don't want a twist throttle so it must be ATV diameter on the throttle side or rather 7/8" to except the thumb throttle.

Huffa
04-08-2005, 07:20 PM
I love Azonic bars but for the 3 wheeler can't see spending 80 bucks or so and don't thinjk they make them for ATV's anyway.

http://www.twisted-grip.com/tg/www.azonicusa.com/catalog/images/3017-lg.gif

mx600
04-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Don't you still have a set of Renthal Fat Bars? If so, get the universal adapters. That'll raise them a bit so they'll fit your 3wheeler better.

350x'inNY
04-08-2005, 09:16 PM
I kinda like the retro OEM 225DX/200ERN handlebars. Not like I'm taking them to the track or anything. I got a couple sets of the Yamaha Assessory brush guards that tie into the lil notches in the cross bar. My Yamahauler from Holic even had the foot brushgaurds and a gun rack! :naughty:

md1985250r
04-08-2005, 09:23 PM
I got RENTHAL 400 EX bend bars on my R, with a set of CYRCA PRO BEND hand guards...a little pricey but well worth it. Cost around $200 for everything. GREG

Huffa
04-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Don't you still have a set of Renthal Fat Bars? If so, get the universal adapters. That'll raise them a bit so they'll fit your 3wheeler better.

Yes I do and never used! How stupid of me not to think of that :rolleyes: ! 1 possible problem though.

1) I wonder if the thumb throttle perch will still clamp on sufficently?

I noticed just the other day they are a full inch longer then motocross grips. How nice and I don't have real large hands either! The guys with monster hands would really appreciate that extra inch for sure!

I'm doing your suggestion for sure and to top it off they are gun metal grey. Now that will look coooooooooool! :Bounce They are lower but the adapter perch will raise it an inch. Now where did I put them :wondering

Huffa
04-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I kinda like the retro OEM 225DX/200ERN handlebars. Not like I'm taking them to the track or anything. I got a couple sets of the Yamaha Assessory brush guards that tie into the lil notches in the cross bar. My Yamahauler from Holic even had the foot brushgaurds and a gun rack! :naughty:

I hate the stock bars. They just look so,well so cheap. Now I didn't even ride the thing yet but the sweep of the bar seems to contort my wrist waay to much. Guess I'm used to my motox bike but that sweep seems like it blows.

Now I can't wait to try all this out!

Lets see some pic's of your bar set ups! Everyone likes posting pic's so lets let the bar shootout begin!

Here are my renthals. With the adapters (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=898&department=656&Division=6 ) they will come quite close to the stock bar heigth. The sweep is so much nicer.

:Bounce I'm all set then I guess! That ought to spify the front end up a bit :D Sad that I forgot I even had the suckers! :rolleyes:

BTW 350X, I just saw an unused OEM brushed guard set on ebay.