PDA

View Full Version : 250r Clutch Question

TrikeMike
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM
On my 86 250R, my clutch has been working fine for months. It sat for about 40 days inside (of course). I fired it up yesterday and it started on the 2nd kick, however when I shifted into 1st gear, it tried to jump forward and stalled cause I hit the brake. After starting it again, I put it into gear and took off, but everytime I pull in the clutch and hit the throttle it feels like the clutch in not completely disengaging. I thought if I pulled in the clutch and hit the throttle a couple of times maybe the plates would break loose (maybe sticking). That hasn't worked. Any ideas. When I pull the clutch it does relieve some of the pressure but doesn't completely disengage. I checked the oil and it is full. Any help would be appreciated.

Mr. Sandman
04-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Well it definitley sounds like it's not disengaging and I'd try the following in this order, cheapest to most expensive.

It's doubtful, but could be due to sitting for a while and the clutch plates drying out/having the oil run off. If it doens't get better after they get wet again from your short ride, I'd try adjusting the cable at the lever or clutch mechanism or both. If there's not enough adjustment you could try a new cable. If that doesn't do it, it could be that the clutch basket ears have deep wear marks (grooves) in it from the clutch plates and my need a light filing or if the grooves are too deep a whole new basket may be required. Good luck!

AZ250R
04-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Hope its just the cable adjustment for ya man!

85 250sx
04-07-2005, 07:24 PM
its probly just dry clutch plates from sitting around for a while mine was doing the same thing your talking about i noticed mine when i had it in gear while it was off and id try to put the clutch in and back it out of my shed and it wouldnt disengage the gears but after a while of riding it around and shifting and what not it went away on its own