PDA

View Full Version : 86 250R exhaust leak

VABCH350X
04-05-2005, 04:15 PM
I have changed the the springs, ring seal and crush washer, and I still get a significant amount of exhaust leaking out of the joint, and oil build-up dribbling on to the engine. It will stop if I push against the pipe, forcing it closer to the engine. All I can think is that maybe I have a warped pipe that will not allow a tight seal when the mounting brackets are hooked up. Anyone been through a similar problem? Thanks,
-Paul

Mr. Sandman
04-05-2005, 05:21 PM
No fear, it's a common problem. The only good way to eliminate it is to install a billet exhaust flange with high temp o-rings. I've got an ESR on mine, but I'm sure other co's. make them as well. Try e-bay and expect to pay $30-$45.

x.system
04-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Red permatex is a simple fix also, I've been doing it for years and it always works. I like the billet flanges but I've never tried one.

VABCH350X
04-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I had never considered the billet exhaust flange, but had thought about using some high temp RTV of all else failed. The reason I am so stumped is because I can physically force the pipe about 1/8" further up on the flange, leading me to believe that the pipe is bent or warped and preventing a good seat. Thanks for the tips,
-Paul

Red Rider
04-05-2005, 08:25 PM
VABCH, you do have the springs on the pipe & exhaust flange don't you? If the springs are the correct ones, they should be pulling the pipe up as close as possible to the flange, and there should be no play at all.

twgranger
04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Red permatex is a simple fix also, I've been doing it for years and it always works. I like the billet flanges but I've never tried one.I also use that red permatex too. I have no leaks at all using that stuff. Works Great!! Just don't start it up entill it is dry, i usually wait entill the next day for it to harden real good.

VABCH350X
04-05-2005, 09:20 PM
VABCH, you do have the springs on the pipe & exhaust flange don't you? If the springs are the correct ones, they should be pulling the pipe up as close as possible to the flange, and there should be no play at all.
Yep, brand new springs, they are as tight as banjo springs, but the pipe does not want to butt up against the flange completely flush, I think it has to do with the bend of the pipe, and the way the upper mount holds it. Since it seems others are using the good ole RTV remedy, I think I will give it a go....I spent all winter working on street bikes, now I gotta get these three wheelers in shape for the summer!

ChrisD
04-05-2005, 09:57 PM
RTV baby!!!! It's the only thing that will fix the aftermarket pipe fit.