PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever plated parts with a Eastwood tin-zinc kit?

ZQL8TR
01-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Eastwood Electroplating System Tin Zinc (http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/itemdy01.asp?UID=2003012713194288&T1=10049+Z&Dep_Key1=spc)

I'm considering buying a kit to replate some of the hardware on my project 200X. Has anybody here ever tried this?

catfishwhisker
01-27-2003, 09:36 PM
I'm sure it would work pretty well, especially on bolts, nuts, etc. You just don't want to put too much plating on them because they will be too tight when you go to put it back together. You'd probably want to run them through a tap or die first. I took all my engine bolts off my 200X to work (I work in a plating shop), and it sure does make your motor look a lot better. If you do get that kit, let me give you one piece of advice, be sure to get your part/parts as clean as possible. They can't have no oil whatsoever on them. Then put them in Hydrochloric acid (Muratic acid) for a few minutes to remove all the rust and contaminates. If the part has been plated before, you'll have to leave them in there until all the old plating is stripped off. Then they go to the plating tank. The instructions with the kit may not be as the same as we do it, but I bet they'll be close. If you do a big part, be sure it doesn't have any rust pits in it because it will turn out terrible. The smoother the better. Zinc plating is good for small parts but the bigger parts don't really turn out that well. If you get it, let us know how it does. Who knows, you might be able to make a little money on the side with it.

ZQL8TR
01-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Cool, I might just buy a kit and try it out on some old bolts first. :)