PDA

View Full Version : my new $100 atc70 popping out of gear?

Ddw350
04-02-2005, 12:27 AM
just got a 82 atc 70 from a kid my nephew knows.looks great,still has original seat cover,but it does need a few things.anyway it goes through all gears fine,but when in 3rd it pops in and out[only under a load and some times it does it alot,other times it doesnt] all other gears are fine.i took the side cover/clutch off and the shift fork and all those componets are fine,must be something internal? what do you think??

Wickedfinger
04-02-2005, 12:57 AM
Bent (internal) shift fork - but usually it will not pop back into gear though.

TimSr
04-02-2005, 01:01 PM
The shift forks wear out on those.

Blown 331
04-02-2005, 01:11 PM
my Trail 70 does the same thing, its a manual clutch though. Are they changable with out pulling the motor out of the frame?

TimSr
04-02-2005, 01:35 PM
You have to split the cases.

Blown 331
04-02-2005, 01:57 PM
That's what I was afraid of. I Have 2 spare motor and one of them is a manual clutch so I guess I'll just swap it, mine smokes a bit anyway.

Ddw350
04-03-2005, 12:41 AM
like i say,i tore it down to the max on the right side.i couldnt take any more things off.all the linkage looks perfect no wear mark or burrs or anything.i definately think mines internal.guess i,ll keep going till 3rd gear is totally gone,i looked at the manuel and to split the case to access the internal gears is out of my league!

Wickedfinger
04-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Its such a small motor, you might be able to get a shop to do it for realatively cheap, unless they charge "straight time". I know alot of shops have a tear down and inspection fee of $50 - $100. Believe it or not, they are alot easier to put back together than take apart. When I didn't have some of the specialized tools to do some tear downs for rebuilds, I have payed $65 in the past to have a shop do it for me - and that included cleaning!. Call me lazy - but its the rebuild that counts. Tearing a motor down is grunt work anyway. A third option is if you can do without it for a while, take it to a local High School and ask to speak to the mechanical shop teacher. He might offer to have his kids do it for free - you might not even have to provide the parts.

Ddw350
04-03-2005, 01:03 AM
ive been looking at the detailed teardown photo in the service manuel.i dont know how3rd could be slipping so bad unless teeth are missing,but then you would think it would pop at the same time all the time as the teeth go around and not so sporadic[as mine does] hmmm...

Ddw350
04-03-2005, 11:00 PM
well,my 10 yr old nephew rode it around for like 3 hrs tody,and it is getting worse.he double shifts right from 2nd to 4th![pretty smart for a 10 yr old!] guess 3rd will get gobbled up then tear the motor up with debris from the gear? we'll see...