PDA

View Full Version : How to remove this fricken bearing?

lisnup65
04-01-2005, 11:52 AM
On my 250R the shift shaft upper bearing is 100% garbage. I have the new needle bearing, but how in the heck do I remove the old one????
You cannot press it down and I am having no luck plucking it out with a slide hammer. I tried a little heat, but I dont want to heat the aluminum case much.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Dave

4cylinders
04-01-2005, 01:50 PM
hey, ever heard of 62 below? for freezing electronic stuff. if you can get it, spray the bearing with the case warm, to shrink it.

lisnup65
04-01-2005, 03:34 PM
I got it, now I am on to the lower one!!!!!!!! :mad:

MTS
04-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Get a bigger hammer

lisnup65
04-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Get a bigger hammer

You cant use a hammer. These are the ones in the tube that need to be extracted from the top.

MTS
04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
hmmm i cant think of what the hell your trying to get out, use a press :)

lisnup65
04-01-2005, 08:03 PM
hmmm i cant think of what the hell your trying to get out, use a press :)

Cannot use a press either. The bearings that are for the shaft that moves the rod, that releases the clutch pressure. The shaft is the one that the clutch cable hooks 2. Their are 2 needle bearings in the case were that goes in. They go in from the opening and come out the same opening. No other way to do it.

70binder
04-01-2005, 08:53 PM
try something like a gooseneck on a pedal bike that widens out when you tighten it so you can pull it out

skippy
04-02-2005, 12:18 AM
that one is a huge pain in the azz! is the lower one bad??

Louis Mielke
04-02-2005, 02:27 AM
put your engine case in the oven at about 250-300 degrees and let it heat it up for about 15 mins. (this is assuming you have the thing striped of all seals rubere.etc etc...) this gets main crank bearings in and out easily and usually all the the other bearing drop out while your trying to get the main bearings in. lol. heat it up and then with oven mits and a rubber mallet tap on the back side of the case with the bearing faceing down into a towel. If your lucky it should fall out with a few agressive taps after heating...Use a RUBBER mallet!

TrikerR
04-02-2005, 06:44 AM
i would think you want to freeze these things, not heat it up.

Louis Mielke
04-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Cooling the cashes will make the aluminum contract around the bearing cage and make the fit tighter. When you heat the parts the aluminum will heatup faster that the steel bearing cage and expand fom around it losening its hold on the bearing cage. Unless you've created a lip from pryig and banging with a hammer the bearing should fall out in the oven if placed bearing side down. Obviously you will reach a point where the bearing as expanded also but the aluminum will expand faster than the hardened steel.

atczack
04-02-2005, 09:52 AM
True, also year's ago, my Dad showed me a trick when I was having trouble putting a bearing in a clutch case. Put the bearing in the freezer for an hour, and heat the case up. Then take the bearing out of the freezer and it should practically drop in the hole and expand when it warms up. Try it when your putting it back together.

TimSr
04-02-2005, 12:40 PM
They make a special tool for that, but Ive never seen it. Id have told you to leave teh lower one in if its not thrashed, because they rarely wear out. Its the upper one that goes. The shift hsaft is the one your foot shifter bolts to. You are talking about the clutch pivot shaft.

lisnup65
04-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Thanks everyone. I was able to get it with a slide hammer and some gentle heating. Paitence was the key!!!!

I could not beleive that it was shot either, but after getting it out you could see the wear on the needles.