PDA

View Full Version : pilot jet question

twgranger
04-01-2005, 09:48 AM
For my z the stock pilot size is a 45 but i put a 30 in there and it runs better. Why would it be so much lower than the stock setting? Is it safe to go below any stock settings? I have some good mods done to it too, you would think i would have to go higher than stock but i have no clue. :wondering I need some opinions. :D

MTS
04-01-2005, 03:57 PM
well what dose your plug read? some 2 stroke oil's run richer than others so you can lean out your carb without problems..

twgranger
04-01-2005, 04:08 PM
The plug reads fine. I am having trouble with it. It will break up through the whole throttle range. Everything is clean, messed with the jetting so im starting to think it might be a electrical problem. It will rev out fine in nuetral though.

Derrick Adams
04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Sounds rich to me. Do a plug chop with a fresh plug. Have you tried leaning out your needle?

twgranger
04-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Sounds rich to me. Do a plug chop with a fresh plug. Have you tried leaning out your needle?
Will it be safe to go leaner than stock settings? That is what i am at. I forgot to mention i also have a dial-a-jet on it too, reeds, pipe, port and polish, and a modded air box.

Dammit!
04-01-2005, 07:26 PM
In theory it's not only safe to go lean with the DAJ but it's preffered. They don't work unless you do since they only ADD fuel. With the leaner jet the DAJ *should* be filling in what fuel is needed. Plug chops are definitely in order though. Never trust the way it runs. Take a look and see what it's doing.

twgranger
04-01-2005, 09:39 PM
The plugs read alittle rich but what is weird that one day it ran fine and then the next it started doing this crap. Maybe it's the weather since it starting to get warm here.

MTS
04-01-2005, 09:46 PM
did you try changing the DAJ setting yet?

twgranger
04-01-2005, 09:57 PM
did you try changing the DAJ setting yet?
Yeah i went leaner and still the same problem. Ill try puting a 450 main jet in and see what that does.