PDA

View Full Version : adjustable lowering link for Tri-z's

TRI Z Racer
04-01-2005, 05:03 AM
so i was sitting around my dorm room today and i thought to myself that they should have something like a lowering link for the tri z's. i also thought it would be better to have it adjustable to an extent. so i put my engineering schooling to work and did some calculations and compared the stock link to the one i thought up. made sure the stresses would be within the limits of the metals. I drew up a quick cad drawing and CNC program. and i think im gonna CNC one up out of aluminum and steel. make it threaded so you could adjust it out from 1 inch drop to 5 inch drop. not sure how it will work out when i put it on my wheeler, but i got some free time now to mess around. i wrote up the mastercam CNC code only to find the schools machine shops CNC to be down till they can put a new keyway in the motor shaft. so as soon as its up im gonna mill it out. im gonna try and post the cad drawing. if there is no picture with this post could someone post it for me?

the gold colored piece is going to be threaded steel, kinda like a tie rod end, the grey piece will be either 6061 AL or Billet. the bolt holes will use the stock pressed in sleeves and would use the stock bushings. i will drill down the center of both pieces and install a grease zirk on the top so they will be able to be greased same as stock.

Now for what i am really after, does anyone have any ideas or things that worked well for them before. maybe a homemade link that would slicker then snot. What do you guys think of this design. any input will be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully if it works ill try and make up like 7or 8 if people want them. it all depends how they work/turn out.

now to try and post the picture... :wondering

twgranger
04-01-2005, 07:50 AM
You could buy one of these if you want to lower your tri-z.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4539656829&category=43974&sspagename=WDVW

Derrick Adams
04-01-2005, 09:26 AM
I have that exact link on my bike. The problem with lowering the Z is that the front of the shock eventually hits the swinger. So your limited. But I am able to lower the bike about 2" from stock with that. The other issue with that design is that it sticks up too high and hits the gas tank cover when you jump. I cut all but 1 extra adjustment off mine and it still comes close.(but since that's all the further you can lower it, it doesn't matter)

I wonder how your threaded design will hold up, using 2 different types of metal, and the threads being constantly pulled up and down from the suspension.

Jeb
04-01-2005, 11:43 AM
I built my own. Similar to the one pictured with custom bushings. Mine switches from stock to 2 in lowered. With a WestCoast swingarm, the problem of the shock contacting the front of the swingarm is history. :beer And with the grav tank mine has, there's no gas tank interference problems with the link sticking up. The pics show raised and lowered.

TRI Z Racer
04-01-2005, 01:07 PM
does anyone have any pictures of thier z lowered? I want aware that the banshee ones would work, thanks twgranger. Jeb what kind of gas do you have if its gravity fed? is it up under the airbox cover?

The threaded design will work, i desinged it so that the max wouod be a 5'' drop. that would leave .75 in of 5/8 threaded rod inside the aluminum piece. the problem with the two metals is that they have a tendency to corrode. i cant remember, i think its callled galvonic corrosion. but that usually hapens after quite a few years

thanks for the info guys

TRI Z Racer
04-01-2005, 01:11 PM
woops, i didnt even notice jeb put up pictures of his trike. exactly what i was looking for. sorry for being ignorant. and i see you do have the gas tank under your air box. How long does a tank of gas in that last?

Jeb
04-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Sadly, it only holds about a gallon.

twgranger
04-01-2005, 02:59 PM
I love that gas tank setup, it looks way better than that tri zinger tank setup.

TRI Z Racer
04-01-2005, 03:17 PM
tri zinger gas tank setup??? Whats that?

MTS
04-01-2005, 03:31 PM
tri zinger gas tank setup??? Whats that?
you can take a gas tank from a tri-zinger 60 and shove it under the airbox too

twgranger
04-01-2005, 03:39 PM
you can take a gas tank from a tri-zinger 60 and shove it under the airbox too
You have to cut alot off from the black cover and i don't think it looks that great, it sticks out to much.

CHAINSAW
04-01-2005, 07:34 PM
I have an adjustable lowering link on my dragster. Its hard to see from these pics, but its what you came up with pretty much.

TRI Z Racer
04-01-2005, 08:03 PM
nice!!!

that looks pretty sweeet. i am debating what im gonna make it out of now and whats gonna be the easiest to make.

hopefully this weekend

Tyler