PDA

View Full Version : kreem question

bigb9582
03-31-2005, 07:24 PM
i just bought the Kream tank repair kit and had a few qeustions. im using it on my 250sx.
1. do i used all of the liquid in each bottle? or do i measure out a little bit? since the instructions didnt say. it just said pour in bottle but it didnt say for what size tank.
2. what do i use to block off the petcock hole?
3. is there a techniqe to draining out the fluids with out unblocking the petcock hole? since there is a little lip around the gas cap hole makeing a pain to drain the tank completly.

CHAINSAW
03-31-2005, 07:54 PM
i just bought the Kream tank repair kit and had a few qeustions. im using it on my 250sx.
1. do i used all of the liquid in each bottle? or do i measure out a little bit? since the instructions didnt say. it just said pour in bottle but it didnt say for what size tank.
3. is there a techniqe to draining out the fluids with out unblocking the petcock hole? since there is a little lip around the gas cap hole makeing a pain to drain the tank completly.

1) Unless you have a couple of tanks to do at once, just use it all.
2) Im not sure how the sx's are, but Id take the petcock completly off if you can. If not, shove something up the hole clear into the inside so it wont block off your hole.
3) Unblock it everytime and let is drain out of the petcock good, or tip it upside down. If you dont get all the acidy stuff out, your kreem wont stick to the metal very good.

Hope that helps

Huffa
03-31-2005, 07:56 PM

1) yes you do. Step b you only flush tank to get all the water out then drain back into bottle. Most will come back out. Step C you pour the whole white subtance in and well the directions tell you those exact steps. once tank is coated you should get around a 1/2 bottle or so back out.
2) You have to make a plate with an inner tube sandwiched between it. Drill two holes in plate to mont stock bolts thru.
3) MAKE SURE substance is thin enough that it flows fairly well. Too thick and you will have a heck of a time draining it out thru petcock hole AND getting it to flow proper arond the tank!. If I remeber correct you can thin it out with a bit of step B subtance. You can recoat it twice if you feel the need also.

Test it by just poring a bit in a jar to see the flow rate. Normally you don't have to thin it but I had one batch that was too thick and used it and had to do the whole tank over. Maybe it was old or something , I don't know? I should have known though as I did 4 tanks with kreem and this one batch was just way too thick.

bigb9582
03-31-2005, 09:43 PM
1)
2) You have to make a plate with an inner tube sandwiched between it. Drill two holes in plate to mont stock bolts thru.

mine is held on with a big nut that screws to the tank to hold it all on. so you are saying i have to drill holes in my gas tank? i really dont want to do that.

Huffa
03-31-2005, 09:55 PM
mine is held on with a big nut that screws to the tank to hold it all on. so you are saying i have to drill holes in my gas tank? i really dont want to do that.

No, certainly not! Some come with the petcocks cast with a plate that has two holes in it and the tank has two threaded holes for the bolts.

You have it easy then. You could just put a rubber plug in hole and tape it up or rubber plug it then thread a plastic cap over that. The right kind of plastic should probaly self thread itself.

Oldshell4481
03-31-2005, 09:58 PM
if YOU blocked the hole then YOU would have to drill it out from the kreem hardening over it, or if YOU just let it run out of the petcock hole YOU could tap it out (tap and die set).

bigb9582
03-31-2005, 09:58 PM
yeah after i typed that i seen in your sig that * had a yamaha 225 and figured it was different than a honda 250sx.lol
im thinking that the nut size was almost the same size as a soda bottle cap so i may try that.

bigb9582
04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
im curently soaking the tank with solution a. i was wonder what exaectly does it do. does it dissolve the rust or does it just losen it and then i have to remove it? im gonna let it soak overnight for a good 12 hrs or more.

Huffa
04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
im curently soaking the tank with solution a. i was wonder what exaectly does it do. does it dissolve the rust or does it just losen it and then i have to remove it? im gonna let it soak overnight for a good 12 hrs or more.

The rust will be neutralized, dissolved and GONE! I beleive the next step is to por it out, rinse it out and IMMEADIATLY put in step b which is acetone to get all the water out.

bigb9582
04-01-2005, 11:22 PM
yeah!! its been about 3 hrs. and i checked it and im startin to see shiney metal spots. i just hope that it doesnt give me 20 pin hole leaks from the rust being gone. lol

bigb9582
04-02-2005, 02:53 PM
ok its been almost 18hrs since i did this and the rust is still there. there is a lot more bare metal than before but i still see rust. i followed the directions exactly! so now what do i do? should i let it sit more? or should i take the $27.00 loss and be happy there is 90% less rust in there?

stevo3176
04-02-2005, 03:25 PM
If you have any rust in there you can try to get it out with another bottle of treatment or some muriatic acid. I used the kreem on a pretty rusty tank and it got most of the rust out. I had just a little bit left in there so I thought it would be ok so i finished with the acetone and the tank liner. Well the kreem held up for a month and then started to chip off. i rode around thinking since it was big chips I could just pull them out. But when I looked at the gas it was a mess. The carb has chips of kreem in it the petcock strainer was clogged it was a f'in mess. Unless that tank is spot less I would not bother kreeming it. In my opinion I think that it is not meant to restore a tank. I would get another tank like I did.

bigb9582
04-02-2005, 04:39 PM
well i geuss it doesnt matter now because i went to move the tank and it slipped out of my hands and the fluid went all over my porch. so i washed it then used prep b and im just gonna use it how it is. but i will say it did get almost all the rust out. i ran it with all the rust before and it didnt hurt it so a little rust isnt gonna hurt. im gonna keep the kreem so later on down the road i may try again if i can find a tank in a little better shape.

mbubbac
04-02-2005, 09:53 PM
im kreeming my tank also and there a tiny bit of rust in my tank that i cant get out, i just put the kreem in my tank and i was wondering if 2morro can i put another coat of the kreem, will that layer of kreem stick to the first layer of kreem?

willcamach
04-02-2005, 10:42 PM
i would buy another part a because that actually etches the metal and if you dont follow thru with the rest of the steps what will hapen is it will rust like crazy as soon as your pour any type of liquid in it.......if you havent poured anything into the tank then just go buy part a again it is so worth it because if you dont follow the instructions fully your just wasting time and money i had the same problem with my 200x tank i just went and got another bottle of the first step soloution and it eliminated the rest of my rust it is well worth the extra time and money to just get it done right my tank was rusted big time and today its picture perfect inside

mbubbac
04-02-2005, 10:44 PM
yeah but theres like 2 tiny tiny spots of rust and if i just put another layer of kreem on it and let it sit for a few days the kreem should harden and not let any air touch the rust and it wont continue to rust

willcamach
04-02-2005, 10:49 PM
the kreeme aint gonna stick to the rust beleive me youll wish you had done it properly. the kreme is measnt to stick to etched metal not to rust no matter how many layers you put on it wont have a good base to stick on and will begin to lift.

mbubbac
04-02-2005, 11:01 PM
when i removed the part A from the tank there was like 2 tiny spots of rust sop i took a screw driver and i got just about 99% of it off and it looked like the kreem covered the spot of the rust so tomorrow im gonna put another layer of kreem on just to make sure

jenndnn3
04-03-2005, 10:22 AM
OK, Kreeme WILL NOT stick to rust. One tank I did, took over a week. Prep A eats the rust so, if your rusted through, it will create pinholes. You cannot start this and not finish it. If you do Prep A it will etch the metal and your tank will rust further. Like someone stated. If you kreeme over rust it will peel, chip, flake, or just bubble. IT is a wreck. It is very complicated process, for someone doing it first time. I see no reason for putting on second coat. If it is fulley covered then your fine. Anyone using this product should first thing go out and buy fuel filters. This stops messes from getting into your carb. I found the thiner the layers, the less mess. The prep B is MEK, unless they changed it recently. Its purpose is purely to eat any remaining water. It will help flush out, thin out any of prep C the physical coat as well. You can reuse prep A, over and over agian. Prep B will fill with crap, once it is used. I suggest tossing it and just getting some MEK if you do need to reuse it. I can do at least 4 gas tanks with one kit. OR 3 really big ones. There are easier coating products out there POR-15, to name one of them.